Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

REALLY NEED ADVICE....

HI I AM 30 WEEKS PREGNANT AND HAVE GESTATIONAL DIABETES AND HAVE BEEN ON INSULIN FOR THE THE LAST 3-4 WEEKS WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE NEW HOW DIABETES EFFECTS THE BABY AND IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE IN GENRAL.

THANKS

Replies

• Mandirak
    High sugar levels in your blood can be unhealthy for both you and your baby. If the diabetes isn't treated, your baby may be more likely to have problems at birth. For example, your baby may have a low blood sugar level or jaundice, or your baby may weigh much more than is normal. Gestational diabetes can also affect your health. For instance, if your baby is very large, you may have a more difficult delivery or need a cesarean section. also Babies who get too much sugar (glucose) from their mother's blood accumulate fat around the shoulders and trunk. That can make them too difficult to delivery vaginally. Your doctor may recommend delivering the baby early.

Other risks associated with gestational diabetes and type 2 diabetes include:

Damage to the baby's shoulders during delivery

Low blood sugar in the baby at birth

Higher risk for obesity and type 2 diabetes later in life for the baby

Jaundice (a yellowish discoloration of the skin) two to three days after birth

if your being looked after by your GP try not to worry as they will monitor you accordingly.

Hope this helps a bit
  • thank you so much for the quick response and the information. I was always at risk of having gestational diabetes so have been monitoring from day 1. My baby is an IVF baby and was bigger at conception at they thought it might be twins but was only one baby, so I know she has been slightly bigger since conception and I monitor my sugar obsesivly every hour...... this is my third pregnancy (and first child) so am extra paranoid.

Thank you once again.
  • its only natural but your GD is more likley going to go away postpartum try not to worry, if the insulin had major issues for you or your baby they wouldn't give it to you during pregnancy.