Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Maternity Pay

Hi Ladies

I am currently trying to work out our pennies to see how long i can afford to have off. My work offers 6weeks at 90% 12 weeks at 50% and then 21 weeks SMP. Do i get SMP every month plus my 50% or 90%??

Does anyone know?

Thank you x

Replies

• Ok, from what I remember you will get 90% of your pay for the 1st 6 weeks which is SMP topped up to 90% in total, then the same for 50% untill you are on SMP alone. I dont think you will get the SMP and 90% of your pay, unless you work for a very generous company lol!

Naomi xx
  • Hi hon,

I think it depends on your employer..mine is 6 weeks at 90% then 6 weeks at 50% plus smp...the rest is then smp up to 26 weeks then 26 weeks un paid. Although everywhere I read lately says smp is now 33 weeks?

I would ask your hr department to let you have a copy of their maternity policy.

sazzle
    16+1
  • lol. So when i drop to 50% do i get 50% plus smp for those 12 weeks?
  • yes...confusing eh?
  • Hi Sazzle. so i get 6 weeks at 90% then 12 weeks at 50% plus smp? that works out not too bad then if i get smp plus my 50% for 12weeks? x
  • thats ok then so not too much of a drop really???? its just the weeks after that when i only get smp that we will struggle i think.

How long did you/are you taking off?x
  • Yes that sounds right..I was pleasantly surprised at mine too..it means I will be pretty much at full pay for 3 months, not just 6 weeks as I thought.

Oh and if you have a company car you keep that too
  • Yeah it works out at almost full pay for 4 months and then drops right down but we are going to try and save up all we can between now and then as i would like 9 months off xyippeeee
  • Me too....got about 4 or so months to save as much as possible. I'm planning on having 9 months off too.

When are you due?
  • Due 19th August yippeeeeee got a while to save but got lots to buy as well so not sure how to juggle it but we will! When are you due?
  • Due on 3rd July...it's our first so need to get everything from scratch..and now the weeks seem to be flying by! not complaining though as first 12 seemed to drag
  • Yeah its our first too so need to buy everything. Do you know wat your having?
  • No..it's our 20 week scan on 16th of Feb. but we have decided to wait and have a surprise. Are you going to find out?
  • No we are keeping it a suprise too!image it s all very excitingxxxx
  • It is, and getting more real everyday, I can't wait xx
  • i have another scasn in 3 weeks, my first scan was at 8+5 as dates were a bit mixed up, u can see my avatar how little baby is awwww im guessing i will see lots more in 3 weeks?xx
  • Sorry to butt in!! But my sister had a baby & was able to claim all her working tax creidts on mat leave, I've worked mine out on the FSA website & it works out around ??500 a month!! It's something to look into!!!

Butterfly
    16+2 x