Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships

cancer

Hi guys I really need to unload, I'm nearly six weeks pregnant and I've just found out that my Stepdad has unoperable cancer. I feel like the bottom has dropped out of my world and I don't know what to do. He has had cancer six times before but it was always they found out it, they cut it out and then he was clear. But now they can't do this I'm scared I don't know what to do how can I tell him I having a baby. I keep thinking that it will be hard for him knowing he's leaving my other children and he won't see them grow, how will he cope knowing there maybe a child he won't meet :cry::cry::cry: . I'm trying not to cry and stress because I keep thinking if anything happens to this baby as well I'm done I'm not strong enough to cope. Oh god I don't know what to do. We have to wait a week to find out if chemo is an option the dr was so matter of fact in the way he said it that none of us asked how long? I'm sure some of you have experienced this can you offer any advise.

[Modified by: lisarob on 06 March 2007 09:09:26 ]

Replies

• Hi guys I really need to unload, I'm nearly six weeks pregnant and I've just found out that my Stepdad has unoperable cancer. I feel like the bottom has dropped out of my world and I don't know what to do. He has had cancer six times before but it was always they found out it, they cut it out and then he was clear. But now they can't do this I'm scared I don't know what to do how can I tell him I having a baby. I keep thinking that it will be hard for him knowing he's leaving my other children and he won't see them grow, how will he cope knowing there maybe a child he won't meet . I'm trying not to cry and stress because I keep thinking if anything happens to this baby as well I'm done I'm not strong enough to cope. Oh god I don't know what to do. We have to wait a week to find out if chemo is an option the dr was so matter of fact in the way he said it that none of us asked how long? I'm sure some of you have experienced this can you offer any advise. [Modified by: lisarob on 06 March 2007 09:09:26 ]
  • Hi Lisarob

I think you should wait a week to see if chemo is an option and keep positive hard I know. Drs are normally very matter of fact about Cancer as thats the only way to be. However you should find out about support available following the decision about chemo. I think it is important that they tell you how long. I think you should tell your stepdad about the baby and maybe think about taking him to one of your scans with you to say hello if the prognosis timeframe is very short, do you think he'd like that? My thoughts are with you.
  • Thanks Bristol I didn't think of the scans but right now that thought fills me with dread :\( . I think we have to wait and see what is said in a week, it's just hard to carry on as normal. I'm going to go back to work tomorrow otherwise I will just vegetate in my own misery.
  • Thanks ok that's what this forum is for, My OH's dad died of cancer and he won't get to see my baby and his mum now suffers with bad depression and won't leave the house now so won't be able to play much of a part. The scans are nerve racking but you will love it when you get a little photo and see your bundle of joy and I think it help you alittle through this difficult time. I find yoga helps me from vegetating in my own misery not sure if you do it but if not I really recommend it.
  • eleven days after entering the hospice and bravely fighting my Stepdad has passed away, friday the 30th march will haunt me forever. I'm all alone now my OH has taken my mum home to her house for the first time she wanted to go alone. Still haven't told her about pg I told my Stepdad the day before he died but he was unconcious so I don't know whether he could hear me. The funeral is next Saturday, it's so hard to greive and carrying the pg secret, will we ever be able to smile and look forward to our new arrival?