Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

4 weeks after Miscarriage

It's 4 weeks today since my m/c started at just under 6 weeks. It only lasted a few days and a scan 2 weeks later confirmed it was complete. I was told that my periods should start again between 4-6 weeks later. Nothing yet but I have had stomach pains on & off for over a week, and have been having other symptoms which made me feel I could be pregnant again (wishful thinking - it took 9 months the first time!). My obsession with ttc was yet again Clearblues gain as a pregnancy test this morning, just in case, proved negative.
Is all this normal? How long does it really take for your periods to come back after a m/c? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, George.

Replies

• Hi George. So sorry to hear about your sad loss hun. I, too, had a mc back in October and was 4-5 weeks gone. Like you, the scan a week later showed a complete mc which was good but they said i had another bleed to come. The mc was on 11th October and my periods didnt resume until 4th January. However, the average is about 3-6 weeks but it really does depend on you. My af was irregular before i fell pregnant so i wasnt surprised. They do say that you are very fertile just after a pregnancy so it is possible that you could be pregnant again. Know what you mean about the tests, costing me a few bob in ov sticks and tests!!!! Mel (another lady in our position who is now happily pregnant again) suggested a webside called www.accessdiagnostics.com and they are very reasonable with tests. Also, someone else said that Tesco have got tests on special offer at the mo so might be worth a look. There is a forum on here called "You're not alone 2" All of us on there have been giving each other support as we have all gone through the devastation of mc. Please do join us on there as there is a lovely group of girls there. In the mean time, hope things settle down for you in the near future both physically and mentally because sometimes those scars take longer to heal. Sending you big hugs. love bluebird xxxx
  • hi george

again am sorry to hear bout your m/c ive had 4 aswell as 3 children inbetween it could take afew weeks for your prieods to getback to normal mine tuck 6 weeks and with my 2nd m/c i was pregnant again within 4 weeks so dont give up hope i know its hard well it was for me when i saw a pregnant woman walk past but i hope you get everything u dream of take care xxxxx
  • Hi bluebird & Kate, Thanks for your kind words and advice. bluebird that must have been awful waiting so long after the m/c for a period, I'm really sorry. A huge part of me hopes that I am pregnant already but the realistic part knows this is unlikely and just wants my body back to normal so I can start trying again properly. At the moment I just don't know where I'm at!! You are right the mental side is probably worse than the physical. I dragged myself to the gym for a class today & feel a bit better for it. I have bought pregnancy tests from Tesco, own brand are good value but I did a second test with a Clearblue to be certain when I did get the positive in Jan (you are right, they are also on offer at the moment!). I have been buying Clearblue ovulation tests from ebay & saved lots of money! Lets hope we don't have to buy too many more!! Thanks again, you have helped to cheer me up. This site is great, I don't feel quite so lonely. I'll take a closer look at "your not alone 2" soon, thanks for the offer of joining you on it. Thanks again, George, xx
  • Hi George. You are more than welcome hun. Its such a difficult time isnt it? Even other halves mean well but cant actually fully understand what you go through because although its their baby too, they dont have the same emotional ties as us. My oh has been absolutley superb i must say but sometimes i just need to sound off at the girls on the other forum i mentioned and they are all so supportive having been throught the same heartbreak. My af arrived today, a week late! How cruel is that??? Actually i was expecting it because negative on the ov front both this month and last month so i wasnt surprised. Still, at least i can begin counting again so there's always a positive. Really pleased that you got through your class. Exercise really helps to blow some cobwebs away doesnt it? Take very good care of yourself and hope to speak with you again soon. love and kisses, bluebird xxxx
  • Hi George. You are more than welcome hun. Its such a difficult time isnt it? Even other halves mean well but cant actually fully understand what you go through because although its their baby too, they dont have the same emotional ties as us. My oh has been absolutley superb i must say but sometimes i just need to sound off at the girls on the other forum i mentioned and they are all so supportive having been throught the same heartbreak. My af arrived today, a week late! How cruel is that??? Actually i was expecting it because negative on the ov front both this month and last month so i wasnt surprised. Still, at least i can begin counting again so there's always a positive. Really pleased that you got through your class. Exercise really helps to blow some cobwebs away doesnt it? Take very good care of yourself and hope to speak with you again soon. love and kisses, bluebird xxxx
  • Hi bluebird and thanks again. My OH seemed quite matter of fact about it at the time but eventually spoke to me about it the other night and admitted that it had hit him harder than he had thought. He has been offloading to others so I guess it really is on his mind. You are right though, they don't always get it. My OH kept telling me to stop thinking about it but when you are aware of changes to your body the whole time, and worried about whether you should be having that glass of wine, it's hard. Thought my period arrived yesterday but no pain and was very light (sorry - tmi! imageopsimage and has stopped. So clearly my body is still confused! Sorry to hear it was a negative for you this month. The exercise was good but I must do more of it - lots of aches today! Take care, George, x
  • Dear Gillian, Many thanks for your message and congratulations to you. I really hope that things work out for you this time. I had a week off work when I had what was initially thought to be a threatened m/c. Since then life has had to carry out as normal but you are right, the hard stuff only just starts then. I have been total obsessed by the loss and longing to be pregnant again. I feel like I am surrounded by friends announcing that they are pregnant, and colleagues comparing bumps! I feel I might scream if one more person suggests that it will be me next (not knowing my loss). My period did return after 32 days which is my usual cycle anyway... this week I have started using the ov tests so fingers crossed. Maybe I will be lucky too! For you, and for me if it happens, I think you just have to take one day at a time. Good luck and keep me posted. George, x
  • Hi George35

Glad your period returned and looks like your back to your usual cycle. Fingers crossed. x
  • Hi Gillian, Thanks for thinking of me. I am OK thanks. Lots going on at the moment to keep my mind busy! Fingers crossed that we hit the right days with the ov tests - time will tell! How are you doing? George, x
  • Hey George! How are you hun? Cant remember how long after me you got a smiley face? You must be close to testing now. my af was due today and no sign but because they have been a bit erratic, i am trying not to get too excited!!!!! My last af was 2 weeks late. i have got a test upstairs but i am too scared to use it!!!! i have had a mixture of af pains and very odd weird pans so goodness knows what is going on. i suppose the test will tell me one way or another but we'll see. I might test tomorrow, if i dont get too spooked!!! lol. Best of luck to you, hope you get a bfp very soon image lots of love and kisses, bluebird xxxx
  • Hi Bluebird, I've been thinking of you this weekend as I thought your af must be due. I really hope you get the good news you deserve. Like you I have been having what I assume are af pains but they started the middle of last week which seems strange. I am also feeling very tired and sick but I think that it because I have had a really busy and emotional week, and then returned to work yesterday which I am finding stressful. I am trying to convince myself that there is no chance I could be pregnant as I am dreading af arriving! AF is due tomorrow and I have several tests but stopping myself from testing early!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Let me know as soon as you have news!! Love George, xx
  • Hi George

You are right, af was due yesterday and no sign of it yet, however, the last one was two weeks late!!!!! I am resisting the temptation to test even though i probably could now as the smily was was on day 14 and today is day 29. I am just too scared to do it! How dumb is that? I think i will try and hold out a few more days, maybe even until next week as i really cant tell what is going on in there!!!! Thanks for your good wishes, of course i will let you know as soon as there is news. The very best of luck to you too hun. Please keep in touch, maybe we have been lucky enough to have fallen at the same time image Best of luck to you, please let me know how you get on image Love and kisses, bluebird xxxx
  • Hi George

Just thought i'd pop on and see if you had any good news at all? I know your af is only due today but just wondered whether you had given in to temptation and tested? Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for you hun. Please keep us posted. Take good care, love and kisses, bluebird xxxx PS I still havent tested yet, bit too scared! lol
  • Hi Bluebird, Just a quick update as I am at work (again!). AF has not arrived... yet! Trying to convince myself that it is still on it's way. Scared to test too! Will see what happens over the next few days as I reckon my body is still a bit confused after the m/c so would not be at all surprised if AF is just late. Hope your AF does not arrive and that you can have a Christmas baby!! Love George, xx
  • just a quick one girls i hope u r both pg george and bb that wud be fantastic a xmas baby wud be lovely i am hoping i am too i was silly and did test this morning coz goin egypt tomoz and just wanted to know incase it came up positive before i went but it is only about 10 days ago when i think i was ovulating so think it was too early anyway and af not due for at least anova week so do u think it was too early? anyway gonna dash gud luck i hope we have some gud news for when i get back em xx
  • hi guys

i had a miscarriage when i was almost 10 weeks pregnant, today is exactly a month that its happened and for some reason im still bleeding on and off, more so after i urinate. i haven't had a d&c cos my doctor said the miscarriage happened naturally, when i had an ultra sound it seemed everything had come out. i don't understand why im still bleeding with sometimes very hectic period like cramping. recently i've been soo very tired as well, is this normal, as anyone ever experienced any of this? please guys any feedback will be appreciated. im scared to go back to my doctor cos im afraid something maybe be wrong.