Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Membrane Sweep/Induction/Water Birth

Hello
Ive just had my membrane sweep bit like a smear except for they dont use them metal clamps or take any swabs.. The midwife said she had brushed over his head so he hopefully he will want to come out now.
Im booked in for induction on Sat. have to ring up for a time... Gettin excited now like as the finish line is drawing near at last.... 41 weeks and 9 days overdue today....
I really wanted a water birth does anyone no if I can still have one if im being induced?
SWxx

Replies

• Hi ya, the best thing to do is email or call your hospital to see if thats ok with them. I want a water birth & i emailed the hospital for information & they got back to me the same day. So its worth a try. Im only 23+2 now so i have a long way to go so im not sure about being induced. I suppose you can call the labour ward & ask them.

Good luck & let me know if you manage a water birth & if so how the experience was!

Tess*
  • Im not too sure if you can have a water birth if you are induced- I know they like to monitor the baby more closley if your induced but check with midwife or look online....my waters broke and I went into labour early hours of the morning of the day I was due to be induced so you never know what will happen. Im 29 wks now and really hope this one wont be so late as my first but Im sure it will!!!!
    lots of luck to you not long now and you will be meeting your little baby its so exciting let us know how it all goes.....shay
  • Hiya. I think it depends on whether you need an oxytocin drip to induce labour. Sometimes women just need the gel or pessary and labour will start, other women require a drip to get things going. Check with you midwife, but if you don't require a drip you might be ok. I had a waterbirth and they monitored the baby very frequently using a monitor suitable for water. i didn't have to get out of the pool at all. Good luck hun. Sarah xxx
  • Hi with my first I was induced, what they do all depends on cervix and position of baby they started me off with the gel, and I did have to be monitered in stages , this didnt work so I did have to have the oxytocin drip therefore you do have to be monitered a lot more. I was told I wasnt allowed a water birth because of the monitering and they dont suggest you use the pool until you are in established labour, so if the gel puts you into established labour I cant see it being a problem using it but if you need the drip they prob wont allow it as you are also constantly attached to the drip. I will be honest I didnt like being induced because of the monitering and the restrictions and was a lot more intense. Hope all goes well for you hope this info helps,.
    Good luck xxxxx
  • Cheers Girls, for ur replies...
    I just hope fingers crossed he comes out before induction... As I really fancied the pool and an active birth....Not too many restrictions...
    Been getting contractions dunno if they are fake or not since Sunday have them from bout 8pm t 6.00am then they go off every night...In the morning I feel normal again... So am filled with hope then nothing...
    So me thinks it will be induction like...As I cant get him to come out....
    Spose it is in the hospitals/natures hands now....
    Good thing is i'll have baby Harri this Sat/Sun whatever happens in labour...
    Cheers for all ur advice...
    Will let u no what happens...
    Ur stars....
    Take Care
    SWxx
  • good luck, i had my sweep yesterday and had an evening of mild contractions. went away when i went to sleep but ive had a show today so fingers crossed for tonight or tomorrow. My other 2 were induced and i wasnt restricted at all- but i didnt need the drip. My induction is on Sunday hopefully- im already 3cm at least so im really hoping it'll start without intervention. xx
  • Hi Sarah, Ive just had a show too about 20 mins ago... Hopefully we wont need induction...
    Fingers crossed...
    Good Luck...
    SWxx
  • Hi Sarah83...
    Did u have ur baby on the 25th??
    Let me no...
    Harri arrived then... Hee Hee..
    Our babies may share the same bday...
    SWxx