Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Has anyone used a birthing ball?

I'm pregnant with first baby, and would really like an active birth without an epidural. I want to use a birthing ball.
I was wondering if anyone has used one, and what it was like to use.
Also, where can i buy one and how much are they?

Replies

• Options
    Thanx sian, apparently it's good for yoga too. Something to do with posture i think.
  • Options
    Hi Lei, I had a false alarm last week (tho the contractions felt pretty real at the time! image ) and I sat on my birthing ball for quite a while. I felt like rocking on it, don't know why but it felt right at the time. It helped take away the pressure I was feeling low in my pelvis and is supposed to be good for helping it open up. Very comfy.

I used it for backache the previous week but it didn't seem to do much tbh. Your birth partner/oh can get to your back easy tho so no excuses for not giving you a nice massage in labour image

I got mine in Bodycare for about a fiver, Superdrug sometimes have them as well as Woolies. Good luck.
  • Options
    Tesco's have one in there new direct catalouge for ??5.87.
  • Options
    I used one in hospital they had it in the delivery suite so I had go- they are very comfy but not too sure if it did anything really...I know they arent very expensive but you could find out if your hospital has them in the delivery suites to save you buying one.....
  • Options
    i'm on main delivery instead of labour ward coz i have to have IV Antibiotics so they don't tend to have them down there, at least if i buy my own there's definitely one available for me to use. The only thing is, i'm obsessed with having a bright pink one!
  • Options
    i'm on main delivery instead of labour ward coz i have to have IV Antibiotics so they don't tend to have them down there, at least if i buy my own there's definitely one available for me to use. The only thing is, i'm obsessed with having a bright pink one!