Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Help please!!!

Hi All,
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. My second little boy who was 2 last week has started to bite!!! Aaagghhh!!! Really hard, he bit his older brother twice over the weekend and broke the skin!!! He also bit me this morning. I've tried a few things toys taken away, talking to him , positive reinforcement but nothing seems to be working. He has had a chest infection and we have been living with my mum for 6 weeks whilst having an extension. So things have been very different to his normal routine but then I think am I making excuses for him. He has always been laid back and very loving. I really don't know what to do to help him. He will be starting a toddler group after Easter and Im so worr????ed:\? he will bite another child. If anyone can give me some advice I would be very grateful. A very worried Tracy xxx

Replies

• this may sound really nasty but when my daughter went through this the only thing that worked was me biting her back really hard every time she did it she only did it once after that i said to her this is what it feels like and bit her i felt so bad but it was for her own good and the safty of other children and it stopped very quickley
  • Hi Faithlouise, thanks for reply. My husband suggested doing that and I was a little unsure but I did it when he did it again after I posted my cry for help. He looked so shocked, I felt awful but no bites since then!!! I know it's not long but I have to nip this in the bud for everyones safety, mostly his, as his older brother has been very leniant but he is fast losing his patience!!! Thanks again, Tracy xxx
  • good luck keep us posted may take time but when he realises it hurts he will soon stop xxx
  • May sound cruel, but I was going to suggest the biting back option too - a friend of mine was really struggling with the same thing, she's tried the taking him straight home if he does it and naughty steps etc... but none of it seemed to work! Sometimes you've got to be cruel to be kind.. let us know how you get on! All the best.x
  • My sister used to be a biter when she was a toddler (some 20 odd years ago now) and I still have scars from where she used to attack me.
    Finally my Dad, after trying everything, bit her back. she never done it again after that!
  • Thanks Ladies, I have to admit I did try the biting back, only twice... not hard, I felt so horrible BUT it does seem to have done the trick because since my first posting he has not done it again. Thanks for your advice, it has made me feel a lot better. Hope you are all well, love Tracy xxx