Forum home Babies Baby

Green Poo

Hi My baby is 6 wks old and has had green poo for the last two weeks. To begin with she had a upset tummy and now has colic. Her nappies have been dark green and ocassionally even white. Is this normal? the health vistor disn't seem concerned.

Replies

• hi sarah are you breast or bottle feeding your baby? I've copied this next bit from another babysite, hope it helps, I'd go to the GP's though to to make sure..............................."Green poo Says Vicky Pigott: 'If your baby's stools are green and frothy she may be taking in too much lactose (the natural sugar found in milk), which happens if she feeds often, but doesn't get the rich milk at the end of the feed to fill her up. It may also be caused by overfeeding or underfeeding, or is a sign that your baby has a stomach bug.'

Make sure your baby finishes feeding from one breast before offering her the other. If the symptoms last longer than 24 hours, consult your health visitor or GP to try to find the source of the problem, as it may be due to a food sensitivity, medication or your feeding routine. "
  • Its perfectly normal and doesn't indicate that anything is wrong. The poo will eventually turn a yellow or orange colour, which looks wierd, but its just the next stage of baby's system maturing. When your little ones starts weaning it will then turn brown and more solid looking (more like grown up poo!). For now while your baby is feeding about the same amount each day and pooing the same amount then all is OK, only be concerned if he/she doesn't poo for 2 or more days (perfectly normal for a baby not to poo every day) or has a dramatic change in the amount of milk they take.
  • Hi all, thanks for all your advice, she seems to be getting better now and the poo is more yellow than green, the colic has also improved.
  • Hi. my little man has green poo and the health visitor told me it was due to colic and nothing to worry about.