Forum home Babies Baby

!Going back to work - baby in nursery

Hi, I am going back to work next, part time and have had trial runs with nursery this week.
My daughter is just 6months old and seems quite happy, but I have felt terrible and had hope she doesn't think i have abandoned her!
Anyone else in the same situation?:roll:

Replies

• Hi Jain
    Yes your daughter is more ok with it than you are. As parent's going back to work we feel terribly guilty. I had all three of my children in nursery, my eldest went full-time when i had to return and my other two have been and are part-time now that i have adjusted my hours and i run my own business.

As long as you are happy with the nursery, it's facilities and that your daughter will be well looked after- try not to worry too much. you will find it wrentch, i know i did, but my eldest is now 12, he has grown up into a confident and happy child who has not been phased by things because he attended nursery. My other two were happy as well and my youngest is two and she attends two full day a week and absolutely loves it!!

I know she goes straight in with a smile and just about manages to say goodbye now!!

Your daughter will not feel that you have abandoned her at all, so please try not to worry, she will be fine. It is always very difficult when we have to make a decision about returning to work, but whether it is because you need to or because you want to, dont feel guilty about it, as when you do return you wont be able to settle. This will not help you get back into things again and you need to get yourself back into the routine of work again.

Good luck with everything and you need any more support e-mail me, i will be happy to chat to you about things.

Take care
    Love

Karenxxx
  • Hi Jain
    Yes your daughter is more ok with it than you are. As parent's going back to work we feel terribly guilty. I had all three of my children in nursery, my eldest went full-time when i had to return and my other two have been and are part-time now that i have adjusted my hours and i run my own business.

As long as you are happy with the nursery, it's facilities and that your daughter will be well looked after- try not to worry too much. you will find it wrentch, i know i did, but my eldest is now 12, he has grown up into a confident and happy child who has not been phased by things because he attended nursery. My other two were happy as well and my youngest is two and she attends two full day a week and absolutely loves it!!

I know she goes straight in with a smile and just about manages to say goodbye now!!

Your daughter will not feel that you have abandoned her at all, so please try not to worry, she will be fine. It is always very difficult when we have to make a decision about returning to work, but whether it is because you need to or because you want to, dont feel guilty about it, as when you do return you wont be able to settle. This will not help you get back into things again and you need to get yourself back into the routine of work again.

Good luck with everything and you need any more support e-mail me, i will be happy to chat to you about things.

Take care
    Love

Karenxxx
  • Thanks Karen, thats nice to know!
  • Hi Jain
    I can completely relate to what you are going through as I am in the same situation. I started work part time this week and my lo attends nursery 1 and a half days and is with family 1 day. He's 7 months and extremely sociable so I know deep down that it's actually really good for him but still felt terrible when I dropped him off at nursery (even though he'd had a great time on his trial visit and I am more than happy with the nursery). What didn't help is that we arranged for my dp to pick him up so I felt like the bad guy dropping him off and dp being the goody collecting him! Plus, to add insult to injury poor little monkey also contracted a tummy bug that my nephew had earlier in the week so last night he threw up 5 times bless him. I even blamed myself for that by thinking that is if I'd not 'abandoned' him he wouldn't have caught it, even though I know really he could have caught the bug anywhere and me being in work or not would make no difference!
    I can say though that despite all of this, once I was in work it was easier than I thought, probably because I had to focus my attention on waking up the brain cells again after 7 months!
    I'm sure your lo will benefit a great deal from attending nursery as everyone I know who've sent their children to nursery have seen them develop both socially and educationally.
    Good luck with the return to work and try not to worry too much.
    Sarah
  • Hi Jain
    I can completely relate to what you are going through as I am in the same situation. I started work part time this week and my lo attends nursery 1 and a half days and is with family 1 day. He's 7 months and extremely sociable so I know deep down that it's actually really good for him but still felt terrible when I dropped him off at nursery (even though he'd had a great time on his trial visit and I am more than happy with the nursery). What didn't help is that we arranged for my dp to pick him up so I felt like the bad guy dropping him off and dp being the goody collecting him! Plus, to add insult to injury poor little monkey also contracted a tummy bug that my nephew had earlier in the week so last night he threw up 5 times bless him. I even blamed myself for that by thinking that is if I'd not 'abandoned' him he wouldn't have caught it, even though I know really he could have caught the bug anywhere and me being in work or not would make no difference!
    I can say though that despite all of this, once I was in work it was easier than I thought, probably because I had to focus my attention on waking up the brain cells again after 7 months!
    I'm sure your lo will benefit a great deal from attending nursery as everyone I know who've sent their children to nursery have seen them develop both socially and educationally.
    Good luck with the return to work and try not to worry too much.
    Sarah