Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

does a tens machine really help

hi was just wondering if it really helps cos sum people say it does and sum say it dont not sure what pain relief i should have what is the best?is gas and air good?

Replies

• hiya

I used a tens machine and gas & air. tbh I foudn the tens machine brilliant. the trick is not to take it off as you need to build the resistance up. the gas & air just made me sick & have a horrible dry mouth!! urgh!! horrible!! i'll definatly be using the tens again this time. xx :\)
  • Ive posted on this before. They are brilliant. I was scared of having to wait until i got to the hospital to get some pain relief. A tens machine came in very useful as it was my 3rd baby i was fully dilated when i got to the hospital.
    In fact when i put it on i almost delayed ging to the hospital asd i thought labour had stopped!
    M advice is that you get a simple one. the cheaper ones are better as too many dials and buttons can be quite confusing in labour.
  • thanx that really helps ill def be gettin 1 then cos sum people said there rubbish but my sis had 1 she said it was rly gd
  • hi i used one in both labours and will again found that it did help me. x
  • i was in labour for 28 hours and for about 24 of them all i used was the tens machine i thought it was great as well as it taking the edge off the pain it gives u something to focus on as well. i would use it again
  • what tens machine would you recomend coz thers so many and they all seem to be the same price so not sure what to get!
  • www.tens.co.uk
    Has a good range. They are a lot cheaper than Boots and the hire period is 7 weeks. I'm going to hire mine for weeks 35 - 42 to cope with stronger Braxton Hicks and then after-birth pains. I'm not sure which model I'll go for yet, probably the most simple!
  • just to point out that you shouldn't use a tens machine before 37/38 weeks as it can bring on labour!

I got a "femme tens" machine, very simple and easy to use. xxx
  • Hi
    I found my tens really helpful in early labour (used it up to 4cm dilated but my progress was V V slow!) It helped with the pains and also gave me something to do (ie focusing on pressing the buttons etc). It's great cos u can be mobile - i wanted to walk about at each contraction. However, it was a problem when i wanted to rest/sleep cos then i found i couldn't go off to sleep cos i needed to press the buttons (hope that makes sense). But if ur labour is not too long you prob won't have that problem. I agree with the other ladies that you need to keep it going. I took mine off at 4cm to get in a bath and then the contractions did feel much stronger and i didn't like the feel of the tens after the bath/didn't like the feel of the next 'level' of the tens.
    I just used a Boots one cos i got it on a triple points week-end so got lots of points, plus my boots is close for picking it up and returing it.
    Hope that helps,
    Juliette x
    PS Hi to Wenders if you're out there - you were the first person who chatted to me on this site! Hope you're ok - when ru due? I had my little boy Matthew on 17 April. (Sorry Petesbabygirl for taking over your topic!)
  • I hired mine from TESCO and it was brill,i used this until about an hr before my little man arrived.The gas and air made me really sick,in fact i vomited nearly all the way through my labour!
    I would recommend a tens to anyone as you are in control of it and there is no harm to baby either.
  • PS Hi to Wenders if you're out there - you were the first person who chatted to me on this site! Hope you're ok - when ru due? I had my little boy Matthew on 17 April. (Sorry Petesbabygirl for taking over your topic!)

hiya.. nice to see you around, i feellike i'm never off here at the moment. I'm 37 weeks tomorrow so not long to go now for no.2! congrats on your new arival. has he been a good baby so far? x :\)
  • Wenders I've posted a message for you in this forum
  • Wenders I've posted a message for you in this forum
  • i used a tens once i realised i was actually in labour, they say it's best to use it early, it wasa great help gave me something to focus on, i also used gas and air whihc i found really good, tho my oh had to remind me to breathe propelry or i would have passed out, was great for the stitches too, felt like i'd been out for a good night out after!! Em xximage