Forum home Toddlers & older children Children with special needs
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My 6 week old baby is deaf in both ears!!

I have just found out that my 6 week baby boy (Liam) is deaf in both ears he will have to wear hearing aids in both ears for the rest of his life.
This has come as a shock for the whole family, There is no deafness in either of our families.
Liam was 8 weeks premature and when he was born was put on antibiotics which CAN CAUSE DEAFNESS, 1 in every 1000 babies.
I was not told that he was put on antibiotics or what the side effects could cause,
I may never know what has caused his deafness, but in a way I feel cheeted that he is a different.
My 1st son is fine but I now feel I took for granted his first words, I know that Liam should have a normal life and do everything that other kids do,I just think that life will have quite a few more hurdles for him and school may be harder at times, when kids make fun ( which I am sure will happen at some point in his life)
I am trying to keep strong for the family, but inside I feel like crying all the time but I know that I have to keep strong.
Liam is great though I love him so much and so does his big brother who I know will stick up for him when needs be!!

Replies

• Hi there, I don't have experience on this but I just wanted to say that I am sorry to hear about your problem..but with the hearing aids he will be able to do everything other kids do. You and your Liam will do just fine, I am sure of that. Take care and take it easy
  • Hi there,
    I just wanted to say hang in there. I was born with a severe to profound hearing loss and have also had hearing aids for much of my life. No one ever made fun of me at school and it's never held me back. If anything it has made me more determined to succeed at everything I try.
    How much can Liam hear? Are doctors confident that hearing aids will help?
    Take care
    xxxx
  • Hi, this is my first time on a forum, but I just wanted to say that you are not on your own, I know exactly how you feel and I have spend many hours wondering if it was something I did while I was pregnant. My little boy was diagnosed with severe high frequency deafness in one ear and moderate in the other. He was diagnosed about the same age as Liam and has had to wear hearing aids all the time since he was 3 months old. It becomes easier as time passes, he is now a year old and has taken to removing them and chewing them! You will get lots of support from a hearing teacher who will help you with education etc. I too worry about him getting bullied at school but I think if he's brought up in the same community as the 'normal' children they will grow up accepting him as him. They go to ordinary school these days and aren't singled out as 'special' so I think we will be ok. There was no deafness in our family so we too were shocked and have no answers as to why. As I say he is a year now and is slightly behind in his language but with hearing aids we are giving him the best chance possible. So don't feel cheated, he is still perfect you may just need to spend a bit more time with him to help him adjust to our world. Hope this helps x
  • Hi there Champ

Firstly sorry for waht has ahppened to Liam and I hope you both are getting through this together.

I dont know what services and support you have in your area for deaf children but I do know there is a national programme roling out to help support children with specail needs and especially deafness. Hope fully this link to the early support porgramme will give you more ideas and help
    http://www.earlysupport.org.uk/modResourcesLibrary/HtmlRenderer/Forfamilies.html

best wishes Jillycat