Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

When do breasts stop leaking?

Hi does anybody know how long it takes for your breasts to stop leaking after breast feeding? I only breast fed this time for 2 days then my LO was ill so i had to stop. Shes 17 days now and my breasts are still leaking! im sure it only took about a week for them to stop with my first baby but i cant remember. I went a day or so with no leaks so friday i went out for an hour with my friend with no pads on, BIG MISTAKE i leaked like mad and had to come home as i was soaked! If anyone could give me a rough idea this would be great. image thanks

Replies

• mine only took a week to stop see midwife for the tablets to dry your milk up xx
  • Hi does anybody know how long it takes for your breasts to stop leaking after breast feeding? I only breast fed this time for 2 days then my LO was ill so i had to stop. Shes 17 days now and my breasts are still leaking! im sure it only took about a week for them to stop with my first baby but i cant remember. I went a day or so with no leaks so friday i went out for an hour with my friend with no pads on, BIG MISTAKE i leaked like mad and had to come home as i was soaked! If anyone could give me a rough idea this would be great. image thanks

It can take months - depending on lots of things, hormones, how fully let down you were before you stopped BF etc...You can take tablets as the other post suggests - also try using savoy cabbage leaves inside your bra - they contains a chemical that slows down the process of milk production and they are quite soothing for engorgement if you chill the cabbage first. I was using pads still one month after completely stopping. It's apin, but eventually it'll stop!

Shame about your trip out...I've been caught out like that too and wads of loo roll just doesn't work!!
  • Thanks ill have a word with the HV when she comes next week if they still leaking, just a bit of a shock when first time round they stopped quite quick, i didnt expect to have two great big wet patches on my top in the middle of the pub. Good job it was a black top and i had a jacket haha.
  • my baby is 6 weeks and i am still gettin leakey boobs, its quite annoyin, also when is your period ment to start? im not breast feedin and i havnt started, am i ment to be gettin worried? it was quite nice 9 months without one!
  • Ive never breastfed yet my breast are still producing quite a bit of milk a month on after having baby? How long can it last for? Should i speak to health visitor?x 

• They suggest wearing a really tight bra to help them stop producing too.. good luck! 

• I'm leaking since the 16thmarch it hasn't stop yet