Forum home General Chat Products & best buys

I bought a pram!!!

Hi Ladies, i went shopping with my mum today and went to mothercare as i spied a pram that i wanted last week. The woman told me last week that she couldnt sell me the pram on the shop floor but could order it till the end of August. I went home and talked ir through with OH and we decided to go ahead and get it as my dad is paying for it. [ He feels guilty as i only see him once or twice a year]. When i went back today the pram was gone and she said it was unavailable to order as they wernt doing it anymore! Hormones or not, i was ready to swing for the stupid b**ch. I had my heart set on it. Instead of hitting her i just burst into tears. Leaving mothercare in hysterics we went to another baby shop and looked around. I found the same pram only in black and gray. I was so delighted i started crying again!! When we went to pay for it the lady behind the counter said that the pram was on sale and we were lucky as it was the last one! Instead of paying ??260 for it we only had to pay ??190. This has made my day as i then went and bought a moses basket too. I know im really early buying these things but i am a control freek and need to know that these things are done. If anyone has not yet purchased their pram i wouldnt advise mothercare for their bad advice and would advise to look early to get what you want. Sorry to have ranted but was so cross but now so happy, feel like ive passed a huge milestone! xxx

Replies

• Hi ya,
    Glad to hear u got what u wanted in the end and it looks like everything does indeed happen for a reason. I bet your OH was happy with all the crying in public lol!! I dont think its too early to get stuff coz i thought i had everything when i was about 22 weeks and im still buying loads now with only 22days to go.
    Take care and happy 4 u with ur new pram
    Hannah
  • Thats great - it's so exciting buying "the pram" it's gotta be the most exciting purchase of a pregnancy! Sounds like you got a good bargain in the end too. I ordered my pram when I was 19 weeks pregnant (although don't actually get it until about 4 weeks to go). I got the silver cross 3d pram system, what did you go for?
  • hi ya, i bought my pram on monday, i did see 1 in mothercare is had quite a lot of suede on it.
    It was brown & cream, really nice, u got car seat & cosy toes it was ??240.
    I went in 2 order it & had gone, So i so another 1 in mothercare, was not all suede just a little bit, it was still brown & cream, it was ??260.
    So i decided 2 look in a couple of other shops, i so the same pram,with car seat, car seat footmuff, foot muff 4 pram, rain cover, bag & carry cot.it was ??160 so i got that.
    its a big wieght lifted when u get pram, im so glad i have got it now,
    As u never finish buying 4 baby there is always something else u need or like.
  • That sounds fab if anyone can give me brand names or shop names, i am probably a bit limited due to location so may have to look on the internet, i am only 9 weeks but a girl has to think of something...

hi ya, i bought my pram on monday, i did see 1 in mothercare is had quite a lot of suede on it.
    It was brown & cream, really nice, u got car seat & cosy toes it was ??240.
    I went in 2 order it & had gone, So i so another 1 in mothercare, was not all suede just a little bit, it was still brown & cream, it was ??260.
    So i decided 2 look in a couple of other shops, i so the same pram,with car seat, car seat footmuff, foot muff 4 pram, rain cover, bag & carry cot.it was ??160 so i got that.
    its a big wieght lifted when u get pram, im so glad i have got it now,
    As u never finish buying 4 baby there is always something else u need or like.
  • I agree with you about Mothercare, I found them very rude and unhelpful. When I was 12 weeks pregnant I went with my Mum, just to look at what was available. I was looking at a Silver Cross when the sales assistant walked over and said @I'm dealing with another customer at the moment, I'll be with you shortly.' I replied that we were just looking and didn't require any help. She then told me not to push the pram around until she was ready to deal with me. I was so cross that I stormed out and vowed not to shop there again! We eventually got a Mamas and Papas from the Baby Show in London at a very good price.
  • I ordered a pram in april, and was supposed to get it delivered two weeks later. It's has only just come today. TWO MONTHS it has taken... i was getting worried as well as annoyed , only ten weeks to go.

Relieved now though, everything is ready for my little girl . : ) : )
  • Hi TWS

I got a graco travel system its brown and cream. I got mine from babies r us. If comes with pushchair, footmuff, bag, raincover and car seat with base and you can buy a carrycot to go with it.
    Heres the link to the one i got then you can have a look at the others available.

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/bruhome/brutravel/brutravelpushchairs/brutravelpushchairstravelsystems/709824

Hope this helps.

Vicki xx
  • I had the total opposite from Moithercare, i found them very helpful and did everything they could do to make sure i got the discount as it was running out a few days later, they went through everything with me and it was a big help.
  • Prams ahhhhhhhh I thought I had it sorted then Jane bring out a new range of mad coloured prams and throw me completely! Now looking at Bugaboos but not sure!!!!!!! HELP!
  • Hi, has anyone bought a really good travel system for ??200 or less that they can recommend? I think I will have to buy second hand as we have a tight budget but thought it was worth asking on here to see if anyone could recommend one. x
  • Hi Liz

I keep looking at ebay for prams...I know that with my previous babies I didn't use the prams for very long and so they are often nearly new. This time I need a robust one as we live on the moors and so I need a good 3 wheeler to get around...but am so reluctant to start spending ??6-700 on a pram! That's the only problem starting again at 40...its not as if our parents want to help buy bits and bobs and they did all that 12 yrs ago!!!!

I have seen some Hauck ones that seem very reasonable in price - but have never seen one in real life or ever used one.

C.x
  • I didn't get any of my 'main' bigger bits till about 34 wks! Now 38+3.

Personally, I haven't bothered wasting my money on travel systems and all singing dancing vibrating massaging off road buggy systems!

Lets just say, been there once before when I had my first and never again will I waste my money on such crap that hardly gets used, is bulky for the car and even bulkier to get on and off buses and the car seats are outgrown within 6 months and you have to go and buy another one anyway type of systems. Waste of space, money and spend more time unused then used! Sorry, just my personal opinion.

Instead, I've purchased a buggy which is fit from birth to about 4-5yrs old from Babies R Us which came with everything (footmuff, raincover, newborn insert and head hugger) for a modest ??90, a Graco First Class SI car seat which is from birth to 4yrs old (so rear and front facing) for ??100 and a carrier for ??23.

So for a total of ??213 I have a buggy and car seat which will last me at least till 3-4yrs of age and a carrier that can be used when doing small shopping trips or walks instead of carting a buggy around and getting it in and out of the car all the time.

I know its down the personal preference but I remember when I had my daughter I bought a 3in 1 combination for ??270 (bare in mind this was 11 years ago) and couldn't fit it on the bus, was heavy as hell to try and carry when folded, couldn't fit into the boot of my car unless I took the whole thing apart, hardly used and new extras (i.e. car seat and toddler buggy) had to be bought very soon after resulting in another huge unnecessary expense.

Half the shit they come out with nowadays is complete and utter crap and has all the 'sale pitch spill' to make mothers to be spend more then they need to and they all come with the same flipping warranty. I'll take my buggy like my man, cheap, resilient, efficient, sturdy, reliable and does the job intended!

Eva image
  • Thanks Eva, thats really useful to know. We are looking for something fairly sturdy as we live in Norway and the baby is due in December so there is likely to be a lot of snow around!!

I will definatley give ebay a look though, sounds like there are bargains to be had!! xxx
  • hi. it's never to early to get anything. I got my pram in april wheni was 12 weeks pregnant. I got it from babies r us, it was ??190 it's a black and red graco travel system, i fell in love with it as soon as i saw it. I have almost gor everything now, but love buying clothes for the little man.
  • I completely agree Eva!

When I had my first 13 yrs ago I bought a 3 in 1 thing...and it was a heavy bulky thing and a nightmare...it was useless for walking over fields etc but I was lucky as my first was a small baby and whilst a right little piglet never seemed to put on much weight so I spent more time with her in a back pack than a pushchair.

2nd time round I bought an all singing all dancing pile of crap from mothercare and couldn't wait to get a buggy!

This time I need to be able to walk with 3 dogs over very rough terrain...intend to use a carrier but also as the walks I do now are quite long I think I will have to get a pushchair/buggy so baby can sleep! It also need to cope with being very muddy and be easily hosed down and wont rust etc.

If I lived in a less rural area then I would be going for a something very similar to yourself!

I will just keep watching ebay as ideally while they dont make them anymore, the old landrover 3 wheelers were great for getting muddy and not rusting etc...my younger sister had one but gave it to her friend not expecting me to have another child 6 yrs after her!

Cally