Forum home Babies Baby

infacol alternative-??? wind advice please

Hiya- my little one is 3 weeks and has suffered with wind/colic since day 1. he struggles to bring wind up on his own and the midwifes have all recommended infacol. I have used this for just over a week and although heis marginaly better I think this is down to his dad and I spending such a long time winding him after each feed. Stupid question but how long should you spend winding babies after each feed and can anyone recommend a colic medicine other than infacol that may help??? I am so tired with the night feeds as it takes over an hour each feed to get him winded after eating and then its not long before he is due awake hungry again.

Replies

• Try winding half way thru then again at the end, my little girl is 4 weeks and shes terrible for colic and wind. I tried infacol and it helped a bit but not enough, i recntly tried dentinox and i put it in her milk. Shes been lots better and is even starting to sleep thru!! It advises you to put it in milk or give after a feed, but to be honest she wouldnt take it after a feed cos she was full, so in her milk seemed the best option. Good luck!
  • god this sounds familiar abz!! my son would wake and feed but it would take me another hour to wind him even tho bf. it took me 3 hours once and he had his next feed!!! it is a little better now he 9 weeks old an been on infacol for weeks. i find that gripe water halfway through feed helps alot in night he farts away like mad!! he had it from 3 weeks old. i also wake his dad to help and also lie him down for a few mins or change nappy helps bring wind to surface and when i sit him up he usually burps straight away. i really feel for u hun, have you tried dr browns bottles? they reduce air intake whilst feeding too i have these bottles, anything to help!!!! hope this helps xxx
  • brilliant thanks I will try Dentinox then! I have tried winding him at the end and throughout but he gets so cranky that he forces his hands into his mouth and you can hear him guzzling down air. Actually quite funny as he shakes his head from side to side like he is trying to tear the teat of the bottle in his eagerness to get it back in his gob. Sure that would not be quite as amusing if I were breast feeding!! Ouch!!
    The only other one I have heard of is Colief.
  • cheers Hayley! I have Dr Brown bottles too and have tried the napyy change and lying him down for a mo but it still takes such a bloody long time. maybe I am just being impatient. I think it is jjust frustrating as I cannot imagine being able to go out anywhere for fear of him having a particularly bad bout and screaming for an hour after a feed. Just have to keep telling myself that its not forever.... i hope!!
  • colief is ment to be good but id try somthing else first as its ??10 a go lol and if the cheaper ones work then youll save money, Doctors are supposed to prescribe colief but only if youve tried everything else. so if the dentinox doesnt work go see your GP.
  • will get some tonight then and see how he goes, but if ther is no improvmement then will call docs then. Thanks for that! Docs should prescribe t tho as i bet its a lot bloody cheaper than what he will have to prescribe me if the sleepess nights contiue! LOL
    xxx
  • honest try gripe water i hear it rumbling immediately and really helps to bring up trapped wind i only use it at night as he really struggles to bring his wind up xx
  • My baby suffered badly with wind and i found changing bottles helped, he got terrible wind with avent ones but was great with the blue mam ones now hes 4 months he's fine with any, also rocking him back and forth seemed to help get it up. my health visitor recommended grapefruit juice but i dont think it helped him much.
  • Where do you get gripe water from? Is it Tesco or Asda or would I have to get it from the chemist? Can you use it alongside the infacol or dentinox or just on its own?
  • yes you can use it alongside any of those colic drops i used it with infacol. you can get it from anyhwhere chemist, co-op tesco etc woodwards gripe water i have but get a syringe as some babies struggle with spoon and although mine does have it it goes everywhere!!! xx
  • hi abz I found gripe water worked miles better than infacol with my 1st son, my 2nd son is 3 weeks old. I'm counting the days til he turns 4 weeks so I can give him gripe water too for his wind!

for him it's more wind in his lower tummy/bowels thathe can't get rid of and infacol doesnt reach that far and only brings wind up from his stomach. I used boots own apple flavoured gripe water for daniel, we tried the orginal woodwards gripe water but it tastes like sh*t!!! seriously it is the most foul tasting thing, so for us apple flavour went down a treat and off he went trumping away after his feed no problem! lol :\)

hope you find something that works xxx
  • hi abz I found gripe water worked miles better than infacol with my 1st son, my 2nd son is 3 weeks old. I'm counting the days til he turns 4 weeks so I can give him gripe water too for his wind!

for him it's more wind in his lower tummy/bowels thathe can't get rid of and infacol doesnt reach that far and only brings wind up from his stomach. I used boots own apple flavoured gripe water for daniel, we tried the orginal woodwards gripe water but it tastes like sh*t!!! seriously it is the most foul tasting thing, so for us apple flavour went down a treat and off he went trumping away after his feed no problem! lol :\)

hope you find something that works xxx
  • hey, im having the same problem, my little one is 2 weeks old and struggles with bringing up wind, and takes forever to wind him, im using infacol at the moment and i must admit it does help a bit, im using avent bottles but i dont like them as u can here the air in the bottles, ive tried tomee tippee and there a bit better, im going to buy some dr brown ones as they seem to have a good reccommendation.
  • i used colief when my lo had colic infacol didnt work for us, it is expensive though but worked a treat for us!
  • infacol works a treat for us, but also chsnging winding positions helps, i sit him on my lap, lie him tum\my down acos my lap, and over my shoulder rubbing his back. particularly bad wind moves when i put him between my knees sideways so can squeeze his tummy gently between my knees,.
  • I am in the same boat !my daughter was 3 months premature and has always taken ages to feed and even longer to wind !!have just started using infacol but dont see much change ?tried gripe water which made her vomit cottage cheese ! not good!!
  • Hi

My LO is 2 weeks old and really struggles getting wind up too. Im using infacol at the moment but doesnt really seem to be helping much. Think i will give the dentinox a try.
    Im using tommee tippee bottle and have tried mam and avent. I have a problem with her being sick a lot sometimes it just flies across the room (sorry tmi) and other times comes out her nose aswell. Does anyone know what i can do to help this please.

Vicki xx
  • If babe is getting cross and is windy you should always consider teat size. Many mums struggle with slow flow and find moving up to medium makes a huge difference. Only tiny weenys need slow xx
  • hiya abz,
    my little ones both suffered with wind like your little babe. i to was told to try infacol which did help but not as much. I am using dentinox and changed bottles to dr brown and what an improvement. I agree with camlo as well you may need to change teat size, as i had to do this when the twins were a week old and they didnt struggle as much. xxx debs xxx
  • Have you tried breastfeeding? They say usually breastmilk esases the problems.