Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Guilty about stopping breast feeding

Hi Girls

My lo is now nearly 11 wks old i breastfed for first 5 weeks but eventually stopped as he would feed from both breasts every hour and then he would want more, i would put him back on the first breast and he would pull away screaming still hungry. I got some organic formula in just in case and he would gobble it down after being on both breasts. I soon realised that i may not have been producing enough milk, breasts felt not full so put lo on permanent formula.

however though cannot get over guilt of stopping and feel i stopped too soon and also in hindsight i wonder whether his screaming was wind.

does anyone else feel like this, i know i gave him a good start but here i am 6 weeks on still getting upset about it and i feel really embarrassed at baby club when i bottle feed when there are other mums breast feeding
Lisa xx

Replies

• Hi Lisa
    There seems to be a lot of pressure on Mums to breast feed but it really isn't for everyone. As you say you have given him a great start but please don't feel guilty about stopping - he's still getting fed, isn't he!?!
    As for being embarrassed at baby club, well quite honestly it's no-one elses business! You are doing the best you can. I bet he's a happier baby if he's feeling fuller and that should be enough to reassure you that you made the right decision.
    Please don't be upset about it!
    Tracey
    xx
  • Traceys right, if it was the right decision for the two of you then it is no one elses business. There will always be some people who look down on you whatever you do, I am still breastfeeding at 10 months and I quite regularly get funny looks from bottle feeding mums, you really cant win, The trick is to recognise these people for the idiots that they are! You gave your lo the best start possible and he will have had all of the benefits from the antibodies when he was tiny and really needed them. The most important thing is that he is full and happy and it sounds like he is so you are doing a great job, try not to beat yourself up. Kerry xx
  • Thanks for your replies girls i know he's had the best start and if i wasn't beating myself up about this it would be something else. it would have been wrong to have continued if he wasn't getting fulfilled which he certainly is now 7oz each feed! x x
  • plenty of people give up breastfeeding in the early weeks due to the problems you encountered. I too wanted to give up, but my Dr suggested just introducing 1 formula feed to help out. thankfully it did & i was able to continue breastfeeding til 7 months with formula feeds as well. I am very grateful to my dr for suggesting this as i would have defo given up otherwise. I feel that mums should be given more info & more realistic information about breastfeeding & the fact that it is really hard for some & doesn't get easier til about 8/9 weeks in. If mums knew this from the off, they might stick with it more & combining it with formula feeds too would help many. don;t feel guilty, at least you tried & gave your baby the best start possible - some people don't even manage that. XX
  • Hi Lisa, I am the same as you, I started giving a bottle ready for when I go back to work and now milk dried up completely. Within 3 wks babe has developed dry skin and has a really bad cough and I keep blaming myself....
  • hi i gave up feeding my second baby at 4 weeks because of similar problems to yours and i felt really guilty especially when at 5 weeks she got bronchiolitis and was in hospital on oxygen for 5 days, one of the first questions they asked me when she was admitted was how i was feeding her, i really beat myself up about it because i got the impression that she wouldnot have been nearly so ill if she was still breastfed, she is now 7 and is very healthy rarely ever ill, at the end of the day you do what is right for you at the time and as you said if you werent feeling bad about that it would be something else.
  • i have`decided to stop after 2 weeks, it just isnt for me, thing is what happens to my boobs now? they are currently engorged, will this go away on its own?
  • hi lisa
    when i read your post it could have been me that wrote it hun. i too stopped at 5 weeks as i felt joseph wasnt getting enough and screamed. i too gave him organic formula to top up not realising that this would decrease my milk and baby was trying to build up supply etc. i switched him to formula but it broke my heart at the time. i was eaten up with guilt for weeks and still really regret it i miss it terrible and could still cry now. i cant wai t do it again, joseph is doing really well but i have had probs with constipation, colic, bad wind etc and in hindsight he was more setled on breast, its hard not knowing what to do for best but have to learn not to beat ourselves up about it xxx
  • Oh Hayley, thank you for your reply, i'm so glad i'm not alone with regards to this issue. I do still cry about is now and i realise that some of this is hormonal crying. In hindsight we did what was best at the time, there is nothing worse than a screaming baby in the middle of the night with boobs that feel they've literally been sucked dry. We're doing good by giving them a good start on the breast milk and then selecting organic milk - i don'e know anyone else who has put their baby on the organic milk. My little one gets bad colic too. I feel that when i haqve another baby i will be better prepared and more informed for breast feeding but to be honest with myself i would have no hesitation putting my next baby on the bottle if i felt it wasn't getting enough milk so on refelection we've done the right thing for us and our babies. Best of luck with you and Joseph he looks really cute xx
  • hi. i have breast fed all of my babies but no 3 and 4 i didn't manage so well. my milk just wasn't there. and i can remember crying the night i got some formula and bottles and i felt such a failure as a mum. i got comments from people in boots about me not breastfeeding and buying formula which made me feel even worse. it is very hard making the decision to call it a day and you have tried so hard. but you have given your baby a good start and you have tried. my breast feeding at the mo is (fingers crossed) going ok. but he is my 5th baby and i am so much more prepared this time to maybe have to get formula as i am a very busy mum. bless you. you did the right thing for you and your baby. take care.xxxx
  • hi lisa thanks. it is so so hard and i felt and still do sometimes feel like a failure on this area and it has taken me weeks to come to terms with it. and god do i miss it. i too ffeel more prepared next time and more clued up on it all. i think you have done the right thing we both have but i too have been met with neg coments but he is doing so well its reassuring. have had to jiggle formulas though but he is really settled on c&g 2 now. just wouldnt mind the big boobs that go with bf!!! mine feel empty and deflated now lol!!! xx
  • The big boobs don't last :lol: I am still feeding Millie but my breasts are so tuned to how much milk to make that they are tiny compared to when I started feeding. Worst thing is I can't even resort to a wonderbra as they don't make a nursing version image
  • Hi Lisa, I also felt really really guilty when I stopped bfeeding, I even got quite tearful for a few days. It's normal, us mums put so much pressure on ourselves.
  • it is good to hear that its not me that stopped and felt bad about it. and bedhead i still cant wear a wonderbra as im so used to my maternity comfort bras!!!!!! lol!!! bet i look great to oh!!!
  • My little boy is only 5 days old, i started breastfeeding when he was first born, with the attitude that if it didn't work then i would use formula milk. Whilst in hospital he wouldn't settle so a midwife suggested a complimentary formula feed, as a top up. I did this and he settled lovely, which made me feel really happy as he was content. Gradually my nipples have become so sore, that i can't get him anywhere near me, he screams when trying to latch on and it's upsetting to both him and me.
    Anyway i've been using my electric breast pump to express my milk and combine it with the odd formual feed throughout the day and night. I'm really worried that by doing this i'm causing him harm and will only end up, upsetting his little stomach. I no he's only a newie, but what do people think about what i'm doing..... Should i keep mixing the feeds or just go with the formula milk for every feed???
    Also I no that my breast milk as only just come in and my boobs where engorged with milk.... which was good as i was able to express a fair bit of milk, now i feel that my boobs don't have as much milk, i've been expressing every 4 hours or so, will my boobs keep up the pace if I do it this way??? :\?:\?:\?
  • My little boy is only 5 days old, i started breastfeeding when he was first born, with the attitude that if it didn't work then i would use formula milk. Whilst in hospital he wouldn't settle so a midwife suggested a complimentary formula feed, as a top up. I did this and he settled lovely, which made me feel really happy as he was content. Gradually my nipples have become so sore, that i can't get him anywhere near me, he screams when trying to latch on and it's upsetting to both him and me.
    Anyway i've been using my electric breast pump to express my milk and combine it with the odd formual feed throughout the day and night. I'm really worried that by doing this i'm causing him harm and will only end up, upsetting his little stomach. I no he's only a newie, but what do people think about what i'm doing..... Should i keep mixing the feeds or just go with the formula milk for every feed???
    Also I no that my breast milk as only just come in and my boobs where engorged with milk.... which was good as i was able to express a fair bit of milk, now i feel that my boobs don't have as much milk, i've been expressing every 4 hours or so, will my boobs keep up the pace if I do it this way??? :\?:\?:\?
  • you are doing a grand job it must take alot of time and patience to express the feed through a bottle. plenty of people mix feeds and their babys are fine so you do what makes you and your lo happy coz at the end of the day thats whats important and there are loads more ways to bond with your baby other than breast feeding.