Forum home Babies Baby

Baby Rusk

Hi All

Just wondering if any of you are fedding your babies a rusk at night time.

Eilidh is 14 weeks and from about 12 weeks I've been feeding her a rusk, to start with I was putting it in her bottle but she wasn't really taking it so from last week I've just been crushing it up and adding a little of her milk to it then spoon feeding it to her. She loves it and when she finishes she wants more.

Never told my HV as I know she would have disapproved.

Just wondering if any of you are doing the same?

Thanks
Anne Marie:\)

Replies

• hi anne marie i do exactly the same thing and have done since joseph was 12 weeks old he loves it! he has 3 meals a day now nearly 15 weeks and he sleeps through every night he is so much happier. i told my hv she wasnt too impressed but didnt tell me off!!! xxx
  • Hi both, no telling off from me but please try and buy the sugar free as my niece cries everyday with toothache and it's so upsetting. Also Anne Marie you've done the right thing giving it from a spoon - you should have been told by the HV never to add solids to a bottle as it is a huge choking hazard.
    My wee man loves his food and is 23 wks x
  • hi.
    whats to tell off about? ive fed both mine mashed up rusk with milk and baby rice from 12 weeks they used to love it too and it helped them sleep better at night which i loved image
    camlo's right though get sugar free as rusks tend to have quite alot of sugar in. sod what your hv says, they have to dissaprove as they have to go with what guidelines say i think. as a mum you know whats best for your baby.
    i cant wait til my newest one gets to 12 weeks and i can give him something more substantial hes only six at the minute and hes hungry constantly, milks just not doing much for him.
    Toni xx
  • hi.
    whats to tell off about?

See the How old was your baby thread....
  • sorry youcanrun but who are you to tell anyone off? The weaning police?
  • hi i give sugar free rusks yes and gluten free etc its still sweet but no added sugar. hee hee weaning police!!
  • youcan run, I've had a look at the 'How old was yout baby' thread, seems you have upset a lot of people by your comments. To say we are irresponsible was patronising. I know we can all have our opnion on the matter but you dont have to offend people by putting your point across.

Eilidh is very happy with the rusk I give her at night, and I intend to keep giving it to her. Oh and by the way the rusks I use for Eilidh are organic ones and have very limit suger and are gulten free.

The Guidelines have never stayed the same for more than 3 years.
    When I was born (25 years ago) my mum was told me wean me when I was more than 12lbs. When my nephew was born 11 years ago he was weaned at 12 weeks (as per quidelines) my other newphew was born 3 years ago and the guidelines said wean your child from 14 weeks, now its 6 months.

So by the looks of things the people that do this research dont really have a clue what to write. If there was a correct time to wean surely it wouldn't change over the years. At this rate we will be weaning our children at 16 and 18 years of age!!!

Also the people that do the research, they dont know my baby so how the hell can they tell when is right for her to be weaned.
  • well said annem.
  • here here anem. still laughing about weaning poice
  • here here annem, still laughing about weaning police too!
  • All babies are different we should follow the lead of our babies and if that means giving them a rusk then who is anyone else to judge. I have three children the 9 year old was weaned at 12 weeks there was no filling her she is a fit healthy 9 year old has not suffered neither have i apparently i was weaned as soon as i got to 12lb and i am 35 now. My middle child was not interested in food tried her on various occasions and she ended up being five and half month before she started taking solids and we will play it by ear with Archie 11 week...
  • sorry youcanrun but who are you to tell anyone off? The weaning police?
    Im not telling anyone off!!!!! what she said was "what is there to be told off about" - I thought i would let the lady know why a HV or a medical professional may say that its not really the best thing to do, instead of repeating myself and the WHO guidelines i thought i would merely direct her.
  • here here anem. still laughing about weaning poice
    Its funny im laughing too cause you dont make sense :lol:
  • quote]
    Im not telling anyone off!!!!! what she said was "what is there to be told off about" - I thought i would let the lady know why a HV or a medical professional may say that its not really the best thing to do, instead of repeating myself and the WHO guidelines i thought i would merely direct her.

But the HV and the medical professional are always changing their minds so how can you 'go by the book' when the book is always changing.
  • arent we all here to give friendly advice to each other???dont be so bloody serious youcanrun,im peeing my pants at weening police!!! (those damn pelvic floors . . .)xx:roll:
  • I didn't know about the 12lb policy, i have been thinking about weaning my 13 week baby. After reading all your comments and advice. I will be popping to shops tomorrow to give it a go. I agree the "weaner" of the weaning police really needs to get a life. I have added my comments on the other topic too!!

You lot have defo made me laugh to night
  • hey lynseyg look for kirst3 post on the aquaflex pelvicfloor excersiser from boots lol
  • But the HV and the medical professional are always changing their minds so how can you 'go by the book' when the book is always changing.

As pointed out by someone else on another thread the WHO guidelines have not changed for 2 years. thats fairly consistant for the time being. Personally i will follow what i consider to be the best advice at the time as its based on the most up to date information.

Guidelines about a lot of things change, for example car seats, drinking while pregnant, smoking etc etc

Its up to the individual to make their (hopefully) informed choice and if they are happy with it why bother what other people say.
  • As pointed out by someone else on another thread the WHO guidelines have not changed for 2 years. thats fairly consistant for the time being.

Have not changed for 2 years, my point exactly THEY always change. If they were SO sure they would be the same and stay the same.

Your driving me that mad with this crap I have called my sister-in-law up to see if she still had her booklets from when her little boy was born 3 years ago and thankfully she has, and as I said before 3 years ago it said you can wean from 14 weeks. How can you be so sure your doing the right thing by not giving your lo food!!!!!!