Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Is it safe to epilate?

Hi everyone,
I've just bought an epilator as my electric shaver is knackered, only to read in the instructions that I should consult my doctor due to sensitive skin during pregnancy.
I've read it's safe to continue waxing during pregnancy (although skin may be more sensitive) but using depilatory creams/gels may not be safe, due to the chemicals in them and lack of research into the effects on the baby.
Is anyone using an epilator during pregnancy?

Thanks,
Nessy

Replies

• Nope never used one...ouch! lol But i cant see why you wouldnt be able to use it. I think the manufacturers have to cover their backs in every single way, but i dont see how it could be a problem!
  • Nope never used one...ouch! lol But i cant see why you wouldnt be able to use it. I think the manufacturers have to cover their backs in every single way, but i dont see how it could be a problem!
  • I wouldn't know sorry, I always wax. I used veet cream on my underarms before I went on holiday and it burnt and scarred my skin! I've always used the same one, but due to the pregnancy hormones its left me scarred, so be careful!
  • I dont think it would do anything to your baby its just that your skin might be more sensitive and it might hurt more. I wouldnt worry as its removing the hair completely and isnt using any chemicals etc.
  • Thanks everyone,
    I think I might try a patch test first, as I haven't epilated before. I want to start aquarobics now I'm past 15 weeks (you have to be 15 weeks+ to join) and I won't be covered by clothes or water all the time...
    I'll let you know if I find out any more information about epilator safety.

Nessy
  • im training to be a beauty therapist and we are doing electrical and manual epilation at the moment and it is safe to epilate whilst pregnant. ur pain threshold might be a bit lower and it may hurt more but there is no reason why u cant. i have been having electrolysis whilst pregnant and even that is fine as long as the current doesnt go thru ur body and that it isnt on ur stomach. so dont be worried, its safe!! xxx
  • Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for all your comments, especially Gracie. I have my first Aquanatal class tonight, so I think I will just shave this morning. I might try epilating at the weekend to give my skin a chance to settle down.

Thanks,
    Nessy
  • Nessy let us know how you get on at aquanatal classes!! I have always fancied trying them but never gotten round to it ......
  • OmG it is never safe to epilate!!! Most painful thing ever! lol (though i havent given birth yet) Your a braver person than me! x x hehe
  • Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines. 

• Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines. 

• I’d recommend electric epilator Karmin image