Forum home General Chat General chat

15 and pregnant

Hi there just found out my youngest sister is pregnant she is only 15 and dont know what to do any advice please:\?

Replies

• well first thing is support her, is she going to keep it, if not then the approprate appts will need makin asap. if she is going to carry on then a drs appt would be good. in the mean time take folic acid just incase, avoid all the norm i.e drink/ drugs/ food etc
    Most of all a listenin ear, sisterly advice/ support.

good luck to both of you
    xx
  • I agree you have to support her. The last thing she needs is people shouting and screaming in her ear. Shes probably very scared and a supportive older sister will come in handy image

Good luck!
  • Hi I found out I was pregnant with my first a week before my 16th birthday, it was along time ago now my son is now 12 but I can still remember how fuzzy my head felt with everything going around in it. Talk to her don't expect alot of response or for her to recall alot of what you've said to her everything will be a blur in the next weeks. Like sweetangelemma said get her to drs as soon as, when my family found out after weeks of me knowing I was already 16+ weeks and my choices were limited. I love my son very much and wouldn't be without him but when the doctor told me my options I have to confess my decision was based on cowardness and not wanting to put my young self through to much. Everything will be ok and work out the way it's meant to be, just be her big sister I would of given anything to have had an older female who I could share my fears with. Good Luck to you all Lisa xxx
  • I was only 16 when I had my first - my partner and my sister were really supportive (I'm still with my partner now expecting our second), my sister even gave me a job at her shop so I could save some money towards baby things.

My parents were very angry at first, but came round in the end and were also supportive - especially financially. My sister was there with me at the birth and was always there to listen to my fears and she helped me begin to look forward to having a baby.

I would just agree with the others and say make sure you give her lots of support, maybe go to appointments with her, help her tell your parents (if they don't already know), and basically be an extra voice to speak up for her - especially with midwifes, as I found that they were not very nice to me because of my age, but my sister was there to ensure I was still looked after properly (especially during the birth).
  • following on from jazzycat's post - make sure u support her with the midwives, when i was pregnant at 18 i went into labour and was left to get to 9cm dilated (over 3 days) without pain relief because i was young and according to the ward sister 'young uns can't take pain' !
  • Hi
    Following on from pandpiglet, I was 20 when I had my first daughter and the midwives at the hospital when I gave birth were horrible to me too. They refused me pain relief too and said that I was overreacting due to my age and then after she was born (I'd had a caesarean in the end) they wouldn't help me at all whilst I was in hospital. I was really tired from 2 days of labour that didn't progress and high as a kite from anaesthetic and morphine and they woke me up every 2 hours to shove my daughter up my nightie. they said that young mothers need to be forced to bond with their babies or they don't do things properly. What really p***ed me off was that I was sharing a room with a 30-something married lady and they kept taking her baby away so she could get some rest - even when she was telling them that she was fine and wanted the baby to stay! I asked if they could take my baby for a while so I could sleep (I was so out of it that I was seeing double!) and they told me no and put her back up my nightie!!!
    It was not a very good experience for me and like others have also found, sometimes the standard of care can be poor for younger mums and the attitudes of others can make things really hard.
    My advice is definitely to help your sister to stand her ground (or do it for her if she can't) - it doesn't matter how old someone or what their personal circumstances are, everyone deserves the same level of care and respect.
    Anyway, good luck xxx
  • PandPiglet & ClaudiaT, I'm shocked! That was a terrible experience to go through. I will still be 19 when my baby's born...I hope I have a better experience than that. I live in the west midlands though which has a very high teen pregnancy rate and the midwives are used to it I guess and have given me lots of information.

Bumps - I agree with the others, be supportive & dont make her feel like she's ruining her life etc etc. Just help her with whatever decision she makes, good luck image
  • Hi to you all.
    I'm 21 & 24+5 weeks pregnant.
    My parents were very shocked when I told them I was pregnant as my relationship with the baby's father wasn't very stable & it was great having my sister there for support- she helped me tell my mum because I just couldn't do it myself.
    I found that the more information I was given to read really helped as well because although it is very daunting it's there to help.
    Get your sister to the doctor & make sure she knows what options are available to her & that she doesn't need to be ashamed of anything!
    Good luck & keep us posted xo
  • hey.
    im 16 and 29 weeks pregnant.
    Bumps- i agree with the others. be supportive in every way you can. if your sisters going to keep the baby or not.
    my whole family have been amazing. none of them were angry at me or anything. none of them have put me down or said anything bad. my family and friends have been so supportive and its really helped me.
    i was 3 and a half months pregnant when i found out. took three pregnancy tests because i didnt believe they were right. told my mum the next day because i was so scared about telling her. but she was so lovely. and me being pregnant has brought me closer to her and to be honest she wanted to keep the baby more than i did. but i love him so much and im glad i decided to keep him.
    my little boys due on march 15th and i cant wait to hold him.
    having a 3rd scan in a months time because the doctor wants to check hes ok and growing alright or something. so i hope everything is ok. but it will be nice to see him again before he pops out. and he'll be so much bigger from my last scan.

anyway.. i hope everything goes ok with your sister. keep us posted about everything and if you need to ask anything or even if your sister wants to then you know all of us mums and mums-to-be are here for you both.
    xxx
  • any update? xo
  • hi,
    i just want to say that my older sister had my nephew 3 weeks after she turned 15 - shes now 28 and my nephew is 13 - he is a well mannered polite teenager [tho i doubt he will be for much longer! and he is cheeky to me.. but he makes up for it by making a cup of tea & some toast whenever i ask!] my sister has a briliant job [designing jeweller and funky t-shirts, im mega jealous] and my sister struggled for a long time, and barely had any support from anyone, but now she had showed them all !!! oh yes she has. she was one of a few people that supported me when i fel pregnant at 17, so dont be too down on your sister, accidents happen and with everyones support she will do well, my sister managed to do her GCSEs and did really well in them, and 13 years ago there was virtually no support for young mums in education compared to the amount that is available now, so i would encourage your sister not to give up on school & education as it is one way she can give her and her baby a good life.
    keep us posted, and point your sister in this direction!
    xxxx
  • "Tiger Lily" I'm in the West Mids and when I gave birth the midwives were amazing!They gave me every painkiller there is, I think! image
  • Hia i had my first when i was 15 best advice i can give 2 any1 thats supporting a 15yr old is make sure they r ready and know whats going 2 happen at labour.....like a tipical teenager i was stuborn thought i knew best (even though i was scared) i would not listen to the advice people were giving me....i thought it was jus a quick visit to the hospital have the baby and home....but there was complications and was gutted that i didnt listen.
    Plus don't let any1 judge you....im now 21 with my 3rd baby on its way i couldnt ask for a better life.
    x.x.x hope all go's well x.x.x
  • Hia i had my first when i was 15 best advice i can give 2 any1 thats supporting a 15yr old is make sure they r ready and know whats going 2 happen at labour.....like a tipical teenager i was stuborn thought i knew best (even though i was scared) i would not listen to the advice people were giving me....i thought it was jus a quick visit to the hospital have the baby and home....but there was complications and was gutted that i didnt listen.
    Plus don't let any1 judge you....im now 21 with my 3rd baby on its way i couldnt ask for a better life.
    x.x.x hope all go's well x.x.x