Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

massage chairs

am going to have a pedicure for my birthday and the salon has a massage chair that does your back while you have the pedicure. Do you think it's safe to use in pregnancy?

Debbie
29+2

Replies

• The salon should be well aware of their health and safety rules regards the massage chair. I'd give them a phone and double check - also check with mw/gp. I'd be very dubious if you could use it. I had severe back problems throughout this pregnancy and was not allowed to use any form of electrical/mechanical massger. Also, I tried to get booked in for a back massege where I normaly get my waxing done and they said that only those qualified in pregnancy massage can do it and wouldnt take me. Tried local chiropractors and even they wouldnt touch me!!! Be very careful.
  • Hi no yu wouldnt be able to use the massage chair, when the chair is brought it does state this. I am sure the therapist would not allow you to sit on it but not have the massage going...
    good luck and enjoy your pedicure x
  • Check with your mw. you can get massage while pregnant - i've been for one but it was with a properly qualified person and specifically for pregnancy - I'd be wary of the massage chairs to be honest - i've used them before and they can be a little rough
  • thats why I said massage charis are not suitable... I am a therapist and have trained with a pregnant lady and massage chairs.. on separate occasions and the label on the box said not suitable for pregnant ladies x
  • thats why I said massage charis are not suitable... I am a therapist and have trained with a pregnant lady and massage chairs.. on separate occasions and the label on the box said not suitable for pregnant ladies x
  • sorry just read my reply and it sounded a bit sarcy.. I didnt mean to having a bad day...
    I am so cold as only got storage heaters and havent put them on yet, thye are ready to come on tonight though.. I have sat in and waited all day for a bed that was due 2 weeks ago rescheduled for today that hasnt turned up.. and oh phoned at 430 to sya the car wouldnt start and he is stuck at work and rac wont be with him til at least 7pm.... oh and the eectric company that I have left are trying to get me to pay for more units than what I have used...
    all in all cant wait for today to be over!!
    sorry again x
  • Oh dear poor you image
    Hope your evening improved..

I've only ever used the massage chairs in service stations and there is no box to check instructions...they were great for my back when I was travelling for 4 1/2 hours to see hubby last year before he moved up here but now I'll stick to my massage woman cause she's good! Last year in America I had this aqua massage thing that was really freaky but cool...its like a big tube thing you lie in and they shut the lid over you and it has jets of water insidea plastic cover and it just goes up and down your body! Tickles your feet - I jumped a mile when it started!
  • LOL... aout the aqua system... it is nice when you find a good therapist and also nice during pregnancy to have a massage... I will be treating myself to indian head soon as the salon I am self employed in does not have a massage chair and with a bump its not comfy to lay on it (unless I am asleep!), think I will also be having a pedicure soon as wel as a treat and nearer the time of due date I am going to start having reflexology as this can help start labour. I had a client who came in and that night she went into labour! (liitle advice for all those wanting a treat and natural induction)