Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Someone please help - we can't take it anymore!

Hi,

My partner and I have a 22 month old little girl - Evie. She seems to be going through a phase of always wanting her dummy and teddy bear 'Pooh'. She goes to nursery between 9am - 4 or 5 they won't let her have the comforters as they prevent her from learning and playing and she seems fine with that as there are loads of distractions, but as soon as one of us goes to pick her up she runs up to us with a massive smile then 'Pooh' and 'Duddy' are the first things she asks for. She won't put pooh down for a second and only takes dummy out to eat and drink. She also sleeps with them both and wakes up several times a night because she has lost the dummy, pooh or both!

This is taking its toll on the both of us - I'm due to complete my Law degree in April next year and I'm also 6 weeks pregnant so I get really tired and need all the sleep I can get.

She has become very attached to her pooh and dummy soon after she began nursery last month.

Any suggestions welcome, Karys xx

Replies

• Sounds like it's an extra comfort thing coz of starting something new. My 3rd had a blankie and a dummy that went everywhere with him, like ur little girl - we started introducing the "one or the other" deal during the day and at daytime naps so that he started to get used to not having them both all the time. It didn't take too long and we managed to wean him completely off the dummy (day and night) in 4 days, when he turned 2.
  • hiya

It is possible but you do have to be firm. I would say 22 months is still quite young to take their comforter from them. dont worry about it as they won't have it for ever i mean you don't see any 12 yr old still holding pooh? xx so I would start on weaning her off the dummy in the day as that can cause teeth & speech problems but holding pooh won't.

Does she have an am or pm nap still? If she does then start with trying to get her to leave her dummy in the bed. Explain to her that it will be there when she gets back and give her loads of praise for leaving it. Give her pooh and tell her she can have pooh all day but the dummy is just for bed time. then when you have that sussed start on leaving pooh in bed. once thats sussed then start on missing the dummy out at nap times in the day then at night, then go for the final pooh, but by then she should be alot more confident.

Tell her shes being a good girl and give her loads of attention and play toys etc when she doesn't have pooh or her dummy but don't actually say "well done for not having your dummy" as this will just remind her that she doesn't have it. it will take time if shes really attatched to them but with lots of distraction it will work.

I've got my son at 25 months down to just nap times dummy but then baba 2 came along & for now it's not a battle i want to fight. baba 2 is 4 months old now, i think after xmas I might start the process again to get him to have a dummy just at the evening.

goodluck xxx :\)
  • my lo is 18 months & also loves his dummy & blanket, he has now just started asking for them (whereas before he didn't). i;m not worried about blanket at all, but am worried about the dummy as he tries to speak with it in & i can't understand him. he doesn't usually have it during the day (unless i want him too, coz he's whingey & i need to get on with things). but not usually, i haven't tried not having it at nap & bed times, but think i'll give this a go soon. thanks for the tips.xx
  • my eldaest had a dummy and a cudderley cat one day we just "lost" the dummy and the dummy fairy bought her a prezzie as for cat he is still very loved we did try to stop having her dummy during the day and only had it for sleeps also if you have some spare dummys put them all in the bed with her the its easier for her to find (and you)
  • my eldaest had a dummy and a cudderley cat one day we just "lost" the dummy and the dummy fairy bought her a prezzie as for cat he is still very loved we did try to stop having her dummy during the day and only had it for sleeps also if you have some spare dummys put them all in the bed with her the its easier for her to find (and you)
  • hey karys
    its tough isnt it. my lo has a bunny and a dummy and would want it all day if i let him but i have always been quite firm about him just having them for bed which he accepts.

I agree that doing it gradually is the best idea as she is obviously needing something and stopping it altogether day and night will be tough on her to start with.
    She is already managing without all day at nursery so up it to just bed time for a while. When she sees you and her dad after nursery she is associating that with being allowed her comforters again. Be firm and explain its only for bed time and just grit your teeth for a few days!!

Getting rid of it at night is something I havent tried myself yet so not qualified to give any advice sorry!!
    all the best.
  • Thanks a lot for the advice - I shall give it a try and hopefully soon she won't be quite so attached XX
  • goodluck xxxxxxxxxxx