Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Present for New Mum

Our first baby is due in two weeks. I would like to buy a present for my wife once the baby is born. I am a bit stuck as to what to buy. Would love to hear any ideas from anyone as a Mum-to-be.

Many thanks in advance.

Excited Dad to be!!!!

Replies

• hi

nice to see dads getting involved in all the pregnancy excitement!!

what sort of budget are you looking at?

on the expensive side of the scale you could go for an eternity ring, my hubby has let it slip that that's what i'm getting, he's usless at keeping secrets anyway but he had forgotten my ring size!!

on the other end, something nice but not too expensive could be some nice pampering toiletries, put a little i.o.u voucher in to the wrapping and tell your wife she's good to use the voucher(s) and toiletries for a long soak in the bath anytime she wants to whilst you look after baby.

it might be a nice idea to get a tiny little something from the baby to your wife too, not sure what this could be though, just a little token gesture to say thanks to mummy for doing such a good job of looking after him/her all this time and for bringing him/her safely into the world.

hope this helps.

kelly x
    37+4
  • hi

nice to see dads getting involved in all the pregnancy excitement!!

what sort of budget are you looking at?

on the expensive side of the scale you could go for an eternity ring, my hubby has let it slip that that's what i'm getting, he's usless at keeping secrets anyway but he had forgotten my ring size!!

on the other end, something nice but not too expensive could be some nice pampering toiletries, put a little i.o.u voucher in to the wrapping and tell your wife she's good to use the voucher(s) and toiletries for a long soak in the bath anytime she wants to whilst you look after baby.

it might be a nice idea to get a tiny little something from the baby to your wife too, not sure what this could be though, just a little token gesture to say thanks to mummy for doing such a good job of looking after him/her all this time and for bringing him/her safely into the world.

hope this helps.

kelly x
    37+4
  • I've been hinting to my husband that I'd like a new watch when the baby is born, not sure hes caught on though.

Is there anything your wife has mentioned about liking when you've been out & about lately?

How nice of you to really think about this. Hope we can all be of some help to you

Hilary x
  • how about a nice massage cushion for her to relax or something for solely her to relax to like a nice girly movie and a box of her fav treat. I know thats what i'd love as i know that my birthday is 3 days b4 the due date and no1 will buy me anything it will all be for the baby. which is great but don't forget her and her fav things to do to unwind and stuff maybe a few iou's? like giving her the timeout slips so if she feels a need for a little space then she can give you a peice of paper asking you to look after the baby for half an hours so she can go soak in the bath or read a book for 5 or ask you to clean the kitchen or i think you get teh idea lol Congratulations daddy and good luck image (just hope my partners as thoughtful as you are)
  • Thanks Kelly. I would spend whatever really as long as i thought it to be a good spend not just on something that will get pushed to the back of the wardrobe ans never see the light of day again! Thinking around ??100

I like the idea of pampering goods but she does have loads and probably has as mush a boots do!

I thought about booking her in for hair and nails appointment but she refuses to have her hair dyed until 3 months after baby is born. Clothes are a no go, sizing will be difficult for a while I guess. Rings are a no go as we have both just had a new ring! Gift from baby a fantastic idea also though and I will definitely do that!

Keep the ideas coming.
  • She doesn't need time out vouchers, blimey, she will get plenty of those for free. I can't wait to get this baby here and she'll have to fight me for it when i get home from work, she can sit in the bath all night if she wants!!! lol
    Housework is shared equally anyway, she does rthe things she's good at, Ironing washing cleaning etc, and i do the thing i'm good at, cooking, cleaning and the garden.
    God I am so excited, just want it to feel special for her afterwards too.
  • how about something hand made? something you've made like a card that you put thought into and a little effort you can sign it from you and your lo and i'm sure it will be treasured. I tdoes not matter how bad it is, you can always blame the baby lol it the thought and love that has gone into it. how about a weekend away in a beautiful cottage in the middle of nowhere (don't tell anyone where your going so you get extra special 1-1 time with each other and the baby without the threat of invasion of the millions of well wishers wanting to coo over the baby and overwhelm her... or just a nice homemade romantic candle lit dinner at home where she doesn't have to feel pressured to dress up if she doesn't want to... thats my list out. lol! I'm sure she'll love anything even if it doesn't happen (meal) as the thought has gone into it image
  • Aren't you the perfect husband - I've just emailed mine to tell him about your post in case it encourages him!

It depends what sort of thing she's into - if she wants to get back in shape quickly after the birth then some gym equipment for home might be useful (although you may have to watch the "so you think I'm fat" response), if she's into what her friends etc think then jewellery is probably best as it's easily shown off, or if she isn't materialistic then the home made thing is a wonderful idea and the more thoughtful the better! Good luck, xxx
  • I know my dp is planning on getting me a new charm for my charm bracelet? I think something like that is a nice idea.
  • Have a look at the willow tree range they have lovely figures of a mum holding her new baby, I've bought one for hubbie called new dad.
  • Have a look at the willow tree range they have lovely figures of a mum holding her new baby, I've bought one for hubbie called new dad.
  • Hey wow....husband has just been reading this post hope his taken on the idea lol! I would suggest something like a hand made card whether its from you or the baby. this always goesd far as effort has gone into it. anything would be nice and she will appreciate it. I like the idea of a big bunch of flowers...not a brought one from any old shop but one where he had chosen the flowers. A necklace would be a nice idea...doesnt matter how expensive. Whenever she wears it she will remember the thought that went into it and the extra special occasion it was given on. I personally wouldn't buy her lots of different things, just a present and flowers would be fine. Like at christmas for mne I would prefer my husband to by me a small present with some meaning rather than lots of presents. Personal opinion of course! I will try and think of some other ideas. I know what you mean though by wanting to make her feel special. xxx
  • Nothing wrong with a nice bunch of flowers...although according to the quiz for new dads on babycentre (don't ask why I was doing a quiz for new dads...) flowers are a big no-no for some reason and apparently the perfect dad should send mum out for a massage or something! I'd rather have the flowers than leave my brand new baby!!

What about a new cd or dvd or book? Or one of those foot spa thingys - thats what I told hubby I want for christmas (he asked!)
  • i was gonna suggest willow tree they have some beautuful items. we have 'our gift' which is mum, dad and baby. also vouchers for hairdressers/beauty place for when she's ready, that way she can choice what she wants and you wont be acused of implying she looks fat/a mess etc. its such a minefield with us hormonal women! its so lovely of you i didnt get anything! dont even anything to eat!! my lo was born on xmas day. at about 5ish mil and sil came to see me they had brought turkey and stuffing buttys which i LOVE and a selection box which i also love. they heard a mw say i couldnt have anything to eat for another hour or 2 (drugs after emergency c section) so they took the sandwichs away with them!!!! good luck with your lo, im sure what ever you get her will be special as it is the thought that counts.
  • I'm not so keen on the willow tree ornaments - we got bought one as an engagement present and I think they are kinda creepy cause they don't have faces..but hubby likes them.
  • the only other thing i can think of is a special photo frame that you can put the first picture of mum and baby into, that's what my sister did for me (she went and got it printed while i was still in hospital) and i love it x.
  • Thanks for everyones ideas. I have chosen a 'tiffany' necklace which is simple but elegant and she will wear on special occasions i would imagine. I am also going to hand make a card from the baby and I ready for when little one arrives.

Only trouble is, her birthday is 10 days after the baby due which is only a week away so got to get something for that from the both of us (well, i hoping the baby will be here by then. Only 6 days left until due date!!!

Rick
  • Awww, Rick what a lovely hubby you are! I think a Tiffany necklace sounds absolutely fab and I am sure she will be over the moon. Think I would blub my eyes out if my husband did something like that - his heart is in the right place bless him but he is not very organised!!

So nice to hear a daddy on here who is so excited for the lo to arrive, my oh is just the same and keeps telling me how he can't wait for all the cuddles and dirty nappies!

As for her birthday I would probably wait and see how things go, it may be once the baby arrives that you realise there is something she really needs or could do with. If not you can always get her earrings to go with her necklace! =)

Liz x
  • so excited for you you must be overwhelmed with anticipation waiting! sounds like you madea well thought out choice of gift and the card will be great i know it as its heartfelt and sincere! good luck daddy to be!
  • Hi Rick,
    Necklace sounds lovely. Have you thought of getting it engraved on the back - might be a nice touch if its that sort of necklace