Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Got Early Scan today and petrified!!!!

Went to Docs on Friday coz had a very light bleed and he told me to take it easy and come back monday! Went this morning and saw different doc and am being sent for scan this afternoon! She found tiniest tiniest amount of blood in my wee but told me not too worry and need this scan could just be for reassurance! Also been getting the odd stabbing pain, period pain and lower back ache. Had 1st morning sickness ever this morning too. Am now bloody petrified and got to go to scan on my own! Husband stuck at work on course and bezzie mate looking after my 6 year old, Have never had this before what can I expect? Feel so bloody lonely and scared right now. Only been in the area 18 mths - moved 200 miles to be with my man so never really had any dealings with my local hospital! What do they look for in a scan at 6 weeks? Please can somebody give any reassurance to help me through the next 4 hours?

Replies

• Hey, I'm sure u will be fine. I had a scan at 6+1 and they found a heartbeat but everyone's different and if they don't find ur baby's hb you're not necessarily going to miscarry as it's still early. 'Period' pain is normal in the early stages, I had it. I worried about it too and that makes it worse. If it helps I had bleeding from 5-9 weeks almost constantly. At 9 weeks I had a heavy bleed, although it didn't last long, with bad cramps. But I went for a scan and the baby was fine.

Good luck! xxx

• Hi,

I had an early scan due to bleeding/ spotting at 9 weeks so I know how scary it is. It is very common though so try not to panic too much - easier said then done I know. They will most probably give you an internal scan at this stage, not as bad as it sounds honestly. They do this because the baby is so small they need to get closer to check everything is ok. I also had period type pain which I was told was just my uterus stretching and very normal. Infact I was told unless I was in real pain not to be worried about it.
    I live in Norway and hardly speak the language so I can also sympathise with you on feeling lonely and scared, my husband luckily managed to get back from work in time to come with me but only just!
    They will basically look to see if they can pick up a heartbeat, which if your dates are even slightly out they may not as the heart only starts beating at around 6 weeks. They will check there is a sack etc and where it is connected to the placenta. They also looked to see if my cervix was open which is another indication that a miscarriage is threatened.

My midwife was excellent and explained that slight bleeding during early pregnancy is very common and usually comes from the cervix and not the baby. I had bleeding twice during early pregnancy and was convinced the worst had happened, I am now 31+3 and all is well so try and stay positive and I will keep my fingers crossed that everything goes ok this afternoon.

Sending you a big hug, Liz xxx
  • Hi,

I know how you feel, I am 9 weeks and have had bleeding on and off for most of the pregnancy. I have so far had 2 emergency scans, the first right on 6 weeks, they can pick up a heartbeat with an internal scan at this stage with some people, but please do not worry if they can't. They can normally let you know if everything looks ok. And will book you in for another scan.

Try to take it easy, they will be lovely with you, each time I have been they made me feel so much better.

I will keep everythign crossed for you.
    C x
  • Hi,

I know how you feel, I am 9 weeks and have had bleeding on and off for most of the pregnancy. I have so far had 2 emergency scans, the first right on 6 weeks, they can pick up a heartbeat with an internal scan at this stage with some people, but please do not worry if they can't. They can normally let you know if everything looks ok. And will book you in for another scan.

Try to take it easy, they will be lovely with you, each time I have been they made me feel so much better.

I will keep everythign crossed for you.
    C x
  • Thank you so much for that!! Not liking the idea of an internal scan though - never heard of that one before! Is is just uncomfortable? All Ive been told is to go to the early maternity unit with a full bladder! Difficult when need a wee all the time! Really appreciate your replying xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Mine at 6 weeks wasn't an internal scan, it was a normal abdominal one and they told me to go with a full bladder too. An internal scan can pick up more in the early stages though. xxx
  • I had an internal scan with both of my recent scans, as they said it will be hard to see anything with the scan used for later on. Its not in any way painful, and you will be so distracted by the screen you won't notice!!

I have not had a full week without some bleeding, and they stil don't know what is causing it, and i beleive it is very common in early preg, its prob just your baby getting all comfy in there!!

Take care.
    C x
  • Thanks again - am gonna lay down with my son on the settee and watch 2 hours of scooby-doo with him to take my mind off it! Will let you know later how it goes!
  • Hi, I went in with a full bladder and was told to go for a wee as it was too full and wasn't necessary for an internal scan! I was a bit surprised to be honest that it was an internal scan but I was so worried about my little bean I really didn't care! It wasn't even uncomfortable when I had mine, not like a smear or anything. They just put the scanner inside you (looks a bit like a sex toy lol!) and its very well lubricated so you shouldn't feel any pain.

As the others have said they will be really nice to you so try to relax and hopefully very soon you will see your little bean waving at you! xxxx
  • try not to worry i had light bleeding nearly all the way through my pregnancy i had my first at 8 weeks and i also had stabing pains only tiny but i think that was me thinking the worst and it was in my mind but you can also get them pains from streching i no its early but you never no good luck am sure your be fine let us no how you get on oh and all the nurses are nice i had 7 scans all together due to light bleeding ment to be very common in early stages gud luck x x x x x x x x x x x x
  • Hey, hope everything is ok for you. I also can understand the fear of an early scan - I had one at 8+5 which picked up a heartbeat but I was absolutely terrified until they found our baby. I had an internal scan after a m/c last year and to be honest it wasn't that bad - the probe thingy was actually less uncomfortable than the things they use for a smear test, it just felt a bit odd.

If its an external scan you'll need a full bladder but they'll send you for a wee if they have to do an internal.

the period like pains are probably normal - at around 7 weeks I had really bad crampy pains off and on for a while and it really scared me - but my wonderful med student friend tells me that its perfectly normal as your uterus is starting to grow, and apparently even from taht early stage is having practice contractions which can cause discomfort.

good luck for later xxx