Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

how long does the referral for your 1st scan take????

Hello girlies,

Im seeing the doctor on wednesday (saw him 2 weeks ago to tell himi was preggers) to confirm all is ok etc and he said that when i come back (this wednesday) we will put my referral in for my 12 week scan.

Ive worked out it should be in december but how does it work? do they give you a date straight away or do you have to wait for it to come through the door??

I cant wait for wednesday:lol:

Replies

• Hi ya

I think you have to wait for a letter for your first scan date which usually takes a week or two to come, mine did anyway! But i suppose that depends on where you live and what your hospital is like.I booked my 21 week scan when i was at my 12 week scan but thats just how my hospital works, i think for most other hospitals you have to wait again!

hope you get a date soon
    charlie x 20+5
  • Hi
    Mine came through post a couple of weeks after i told doctor. It was my booking in app with midwife that took ages. I didnt have it till i was 14 weeks i had scan at 10 weeks!!!image
  • HI the doctor made my appointment while I was sat in her office and i was only 5 weeks pregnant. I think it all depends on what computer system your docs use. My 20 week scan was sent through the post.

Sara x
  • Hi Ladygwen
    this is exactly what is happening with me, atleast if the docs say that to me tommorow i will not be surprised. what area are you in? north.east, south or west?

am i allowed to ask this question? just realsied i might be breaking a rule here?
  • near london!!
    in hertfordshire, well tommorow i will tell you what the docs say
  • Hi Gempot, where abouts in herts are you? I'm in St Albans but work in Harpenden, are you close?

Amanda x
  • Also forgot to say when I met the midwife for my booking appointment she gave me a pink slip to take to the antenatal scanning department at the hospital, and a phone number to call up and get the appointment. I was also given a form to take to the hospital to get my blood tested so it might be the same for you. My NHS trust is West Herts if that's where you are?
  • hi ya
    im in welwyn garden city!
    cant wait for tommorow morning to see the docs then i will give you the low down, my hospital will be the QE2 in welwyn.

how far gone are you?
  • That sounds really rubbish that you guys have to wait and do a lot of running around for your appointments ... I saw my mw at 9 weeks I think it was and she just rang and booked the appointment for the scan in, and then at the scan they sorted out the 20 week scan appointment.

• kia you are well lucky i take it your in a better part of the uk than us!!
    and they say hertfordshire is a great place to live!
  • I'm in the north west..
    I just find it crazy that everything is done differently depending on what area you are in! You'd think they'd have one rule for everyone!
  • Im in the position where I had my previous kids in Watford and am now in the North West trying to find out how things work up here! Like u say - its mad that everywhere is sooo different. R U going to hospitals where you can find out the sex? I couldnt in Watford but have been told that I can up here? Whats going on? Shouldnt we all be treated the same?
  • I'm having my baby in Watford but all my scans in St Albans, they won't tell us the sex here either! QE2 is actually nearer to me by far but I wasn't allowed to go there, it was either Hemel or Watford. But I do have to go to Hemel and St Albans for different consultant appointments! It is rubbish we have to do all the running around, but it does mean you feel in control about what's going on at least. I'm 23 +3, can feel the baby kicking lots image how far gone are you?

Kia, did you get married on 1st Sept? and how far along are you?

Have a look at this article for info on West Herts.... http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article3073749.ece
    image Unlucky us!!
  • How come you have to have your scans in St Albans and baby in Watford? That seems mad. When I had mine all my care was done in Watford and there was talk of HH maternity shutting so Watford was really busy! I will warn you that the staff themselves were fantastic but some of the "volunteer" helpers had me in tears! I had a c-sec and couldnt move and Ollie was poorly and I had a reaction to the morphine which made me want to tear my skin off and the "volunteer" just told me to stop buzzing I was disrupting the ward! The nurses themselves were fantastic though and as soon as they realised what was going on sorted out Ollies problem and mine instantly. Havent read the report you spoke about but that was 6 yrs ago so hopefully its better for you.
  • How come you have to have your scans in St Albans and baby in Watford? That seems mad. When I had mine all my care was done in Watford and there was talk of HH maternity shutting so Watford was really busy! I will warn you that the staff themselves were fantastic but some of the "volunteer" helpers had me in tears! I had a c-sec and couldnt move and Ollie was poorly and I had a reaction to the morphine which made me want to tear my skin off and the "volunteer" just told me to stop buzzing I was disrupting the ward! The nurses themselves were fantastic though and as soon as they realised what was going on sorted out Ollies problem and mine instantly. Havent read the report you spoke about but that was 6 yrs ago so hopefully its better for you.
  • I'm sure things will be fine. Mine may be a high risk pregnancy anyway so we'll have to see what ends up happening. I live in St Albans but they don't have a maternity centre but they will do all the scans and some consultant appointments. Its actually easier for me tbh but it does seem crazy! Everyone I know who has given birth in Watford says its great and everyone in HH has said it was awful! Problem is as you say, you can have some really nice people around but just 1 person causing you stress can be enough! It all depends on who's working on the day.
  • Thats it! I hope you arent high risk and all goes well for you! Im actually wishing I was giving birth in Watford because I know nothing about the care up here (just outside Manchester) and am feeling at the moment that it would be better the devil you know! Am right between 2 hospitals and I know nothing about them. Getting good and bad reports from friends on both so bit confused.
  • I agree oldermum - we should all be treated the same. Seems to differ from hospital to hospital around here though. The thing i find most shocking is that in some areas people still don't get a 12 week scan!! I was told my babys sex at the 20 week scan - but they would only tell me that it was an opinion and not 100% accurate..mind you with boy bitsits pretty obvious.

Gramanda - yes i got married on 1 september, I'm almost 31 weeks now. I guess you were on y&yw? I think I remember seeing you there rather than here. how far along are you?
  • I've not long been in Herts anyway, so am kind of in the same position as you. It just seems that as Watford is so big I know several people who gave birth there! I'm sure it'll be ok in Manchester. You could always have a look around the hospitals?

I got married then too! I was on y&yw too (and still browse there lol) and thought I had seen you! I'm only 23 +3 so still got quite a way to go. The weeks 20+ seem to go so slowly!! We don't get 12 week scans here or find out the sex image so we got a private one at 12 weeks (nuchal, and also one at 8 weeks cuz I'm impatient!). Definitely going to find out (if possible) when we have our private 4d one in Decemeber although we think its a boy!
  • What makes you think its a boy?