Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

a little advice

Sorry to be so disgusting at this time of morning but I really need some advice, I am 41+1 today and when i went for my sweep on saturday mw told me my bowels were full, I told her I didn't feel like I needed to go to the toilet but would try when i got home, I haven't had a problem with being constipated during pregnancy at all and then this morning I wake up to find that I am and it's actually really worrying me now. I've tried to go to the toilet but just cant, I'm just getting myself worked up and upset that I may be doing some sort of harm to the baby even though I know I'm probably not, anyway I just want to know whether it's ok to take constipation tablets, I know it says not to on the box but I'm getting desperate now? Sorry to post this on here but my doctors don't open till 8am and like i say I am desperate just now.

Replies

• Why don't you try some natural things before taking tablets? Liquorice or prunes - I'm sure if you google constipation relief - you'll find something to help. Make sure that you are drinking plenty of water too. Try not to worry as stress will stop you going too - its unlikely that constipation will harm the baby, I think constipation is quite common in pregnancy - particularly for those ladies who have to take iron supplements. Thats another thing - are you taking a vitamin like pregnacare that has iron in? Maybe start taking one every other day instead of every day.

Hope you feel better soon.

Gill x
  • Dont worry constipation is common at the end of pregnancy. If all else fails its safe to take Fybogel during pregnancy. Its not a laxative as such but helps maintain regular bowel movements. You can get it on prescription or over the counter at a pharmacy or health shop

Hope you feel better soon
    Hilary x
  • Hi

Don't panic, have you tries some liquorice, orange juice or prunes???

Not 100% about constipation tablets, call nhs direct if you need too they are really helpful. 0845 4647

don't panic as you will make yourself more worked up and stressed....