Forum home General Chat General chat

MrsJoJo's back with baby Izaak!!

Hi ladies

Yep, you were right... I was being kept busy with the new arrival image

Baby Izaak Brough arrived last Friday at 6.44am UK time, 1.44pm Bangkok time. He was 8lbs14 and 54cms long.

After an easy pregnancy he had a dramatic entry into the world. Last Friday I waddled into the hospital for my routine non-stress test. They hooked me up to the monitors and lo & behold I was having contractions every 10mins (but didn't feel a thing). The hospital staff got worried about my blood pressure though and it kept rising every time they took it...

My obstetrician came up to the birth unit (where they perform the non-stress test) and she too was really concerned about my BP and reccomended a c-section immedietly. I refused to sign the consent forms and called hubby saying 'I need you at the hospital - NOW'. My BP continued to rise and I was given second opinion by 2 more docs (by this time they'd confirmed it was hypertension/pre-eclampsia bought on by the annoying rash - PUPPP). Izaak was fine though - nothing wrong with my little boy.

Hubby arrived, and told me that he couldn't face losing me which bought me to my senses so I signed the consent forms. I'd already been prepped for theatre as they were so worried. So, a few hours after I'd happily waddled into the hospital I was rushed off to theatre so he could be whipped out the sunroof :lol:

We came home yesterday - I had the option to come home on Wednesday but wanted another night (private medical care is superb). I knew I was ready to come home yesterday as Wednesday evening I complained about the food and forced them to bring me a second meal as the first was so disgusting!

We're now getting to grips with parenthood. He's feeding OK and we've had to employ a full-time nanny as without one I'd be housebound for the next 6 weeks (we go to the UK for Christmas).

Email me if you'd like links to pics - been trying to upload some onto YAYW gallery but not successful, guess this one might be the same as they'll be running from the same server.

Jo
x

Replies

• YAY! Congratulations and welcome to the world baby Izaac!

(and also woo! cos I won the sweepstake!)

It's so lovely to read your news Jo - would love to see some pics, will email when I have more time later.

Congratulations again,

x
    http://bd.lilypie.com/Pbnap1/.png

• Congratulations!! As you can see from the posts on here we've all been wondering how you are!! I'm glad you are both ok and are recovering well. Izaak is a lovely name and can't wait to see some pics!
    Don't blame you for staying in another night if the care is so good - it's hard being at home after a section!
    Take care and enjoy him!
    xx
  • wow congratulations Mr amd MrsJoJo,and welcome to the world Izaak!!

enjoy xx
  • oh congratulations - what a drama but so glad everything is going well now - lots of love and good wishes to your little family of 3!!!!! Take things steady and don't push yourself too far!

Where will you be visiting when you are back over for Christmas may I be so nosey as to ask???

Enjoy your new status as mum and dad and enjoy that bundle of joy! x
  • congratulations thats wonderful news im so pleased for you

xx
  • Hi there

Thanks for the congrats!!

CC - we'll be in Billericay in Essex over Christmas. Izaak and I will be staying in the UK for at least 6 weeks as I will be changing my name on all my documents (and we all know how long this can take!!). MrJoJo is also moving house for us and has banned me from returning to Bangkok until its all clean, tidy and ready for us.

Being in Bangkok has made life so much easier after a c-section. We have engaged a nanny to help me (I'm notorious for doing too much, taking too much on) so she's here to stop me. Its actually really good as at the moment I can't even bend down to put washing in the washing machine (and as we're using real nappies that could have caused a real priblem!!). Being so far away means that I'm really on my own so for us the real bonus is that MrJoJo doesn't feel guilty about going back to work (he only has 3 days paternity leave so if we hadn't got a nanny I'd be on my own from Tuesday and housebound for 6 weeks).

Right, time for a nap before the next feed!

Jo
    x
  • Congratulations Jo & Mr Jo and welcome to the word Izaak
  • oh another quick question then Mrs JoJo - have you been using real nappies right from the word go?? How are you finding them?

Thanks I am really wanting to go for them but am worried about the expense of buying a set if I find I am not happy with them!!!!
  • massive congratulations!!!

welcome to the world baby Izaak.

rest plenty, make full use of your nanny (i did with mr stephe after my sec! ) and enjoy being a mummy.

I would love to see pics of th handsome little man if you dont mind? Will email you....

xxxx

(you dont have ur email button enabled...? :cry: )

[Modified by: Stephe Yeadon on November 10, 2007 07:08 PM]
  • craftycharli - we are planning on using real nappies and we are just buying up different makes - picked up a few off ebay. I've been advised that its better to not just buy a birth to potty pack straight off in case you don't get on with it. I thought the bambino mios looked goodtill I saw them and now I don't like them, same with the mothercare smart nappies.

I've also got a ??45 voucher from the council towards real nappies too... free nappies are good!! There was a list in with the vouchers of all local suppliers that accept the voucher including people that come round to demonstrate nappies for you and will hire you trial nappies - could be worht a try for you.

Sorry for the hijack there Jo - but please do let us know how you've got onw ith the nappies... I'd like to know too image
  • craftycharli - we are planning on using real nappies and we are just buying up different makes - picked up a few off ebay. I've been advised that its better to not just buy a birth to potty pack straight off in case you don't get on with it. I thought the bambino mios looked goodtill I saw them and now I don't like them, same with the mothercare smart nappies.

I've also got a ??45 voucher from the council towards real nappies too... free nappies are good!! There was a list in with the vouchers of all local suppliers that accept the voucher including people that come round to demonstrate nappies for you and will hire you trial nappies - could be worht a try for you.

Sorry for the hijack there Jo - but please do let us know how you've got onw ith the nappies... I'd like to know too image
  • Sorry - I'll enable my email now!!

CC - I have been trying to use real nappies. However, I have encountered a bit of a problem - the Thai brand I purchased are pretty useless without a waterproof wrap and you can't buy these here. A friend has a visitor from Australia arriving next week so we are trying to see if we can get her to bring some over, failing that I'm going to be buying them in the UK.

Apart from the nappies getting very soggy whenever he pees (which then goes through his clothes and bedsheets, hence the need for a waterproof wrap) they are pretty good. I have one-way liners to use with them and this catches poo and can be flushed away. Soiled nappies go in my lidded bucket with nappy soak (but I'll probably switch to bi-carb of soda and white vinegar with a few drops of tea-tree oil as the nappy soak is stupidly expensive here).

My parents are getting me a nappy starter kit from their local council - I plan to get a selection in the UK and know I'll be able to sell them on here when we've finished with them. In Bangkok the UK/American/Australian brands are either unavailable or stupidly expensive so there's a thriving market in second hand baby gear!

Better dash!!

Jo
  • I mentioned using reusables to fudgeedoo.
    He gave me a funny look and said NO.
    He's also vetoed my home birth, water birth and all sorts of other things. I know it's just because he wants me to be safe and he thinks the environmentally friendly stuff will be too much work, but a little discussion about it rather than a flat NO would be nice.

Oh well. I shall keep on at him - I have 6 months to turn him - if I can get my way on something I'll be happy. image

x
    http://bd.lilypie.com/Pbnap1/.png

• Think we'd better make sure we got plenty of wraps then!! I was wondering how likely it was that baby would soak through the nappy and you just answered that for me Jo!! Are you using boosters too?

I'm not using reusables for any environmental reason..I'm doing it mainly cause I don't like the idea of icky chemically disposables on babys delicate areas and also cause it'll work out cheaper!
  • Yep, I'm using boosters too... But boy this little man can pee!!

I didn't give hubby a choice. Disposables are double the price here in Bangkok so it makes financial as well as enviromental sense. Plus, DH NEVER takes the rubbish out (even when nagged) so the thought of a bin full of dirty nappies festering away in this heat is enough to turn anyone's stomach.

In addition to all this I am lucky to have a maid/nanny who does all the washing... If you're thinking about it and put off by the washing involved see if there are nappy laundering schemes in your area - these work out about the same as disposibles and is even more enviromentally friendly than doing the washing yourself!

Jo
  • Yep thats what puts me off as well about disposables.. we've just gone onto this stupid 2 weekly bin collection here and the thought of 2 weeks worth of stinky nappies in the bin in the middle of summer just grosses me out!!

Not keen on the nappy laundering schemes though personally..i'm such a horrible snob! I'd rather just have my baby using his own nappies than getting nappies that any horrid dirty person could have been near!!

I'm definately thinking we don't have enough nappies and boosters yet... I think boys can be worse for peeing than girls!! Good job I've got my ??45 grant from the council - that'll help ou t with more nappies... which reminds me..must call the person who'll come out and show us nappies!!
  • can i just say (please dont throw rotten tomatoes at me) that we have the 2 weekly collection here, always have had and we seem to be able to manage, we reycle lots and the nappies dont smell in the heat coz they're in fragranced biodegradable bags.... (hides from rotten veg)

I too just couldnt manage to use reuseables, just not my cup of tea, but I do repesct and understand why people do. I just cant imagine taking lo out anywhere and him doing a mahoosive poo that goes everywhere and then having to carry a dirty nappy round with me (I mean the poo that really does go everywhere.....) I'm cringing even as i think about it.....
    So big congratulations to those that are!

Have emailed you Mrs JoJo, cant wait to see your gorgeous lickle boys face.

hows the first weeks gone? How ru feeling now after the sec?

xxx
  • We've only just gone on to the new 2 weekly collection thing and I've got the hump about it big time cause its a pain! We have 3 recycling boxes we have to have at the front of the house, and the big bin at the back and its just such a faff. I just think its unhygenic having 2 weeks of rubbish in your bin... especially if you do what we did the other week and forget to put the bin out so had to wait another 2 weeks for collection!! Actually - the leaflets that came wiht it really wound me up too - all sort of like 'oh well if you have too much rubbish then recycle more and use reusable nappies' rather than accepting that sometimes people just make a lot of mess - like me when having a big clear out!! Oh and don't get me started on the binmen that leave the recycling box lids lying around after emptying them!

Sorry..didn't mean to go off on one there!!

I'm fully expecting that we will use disposables sometimes - if we cna't keep up with washing, if we go away, or whatever .. and the idea of carrying pooey nappies around for hours doesn't appeal to me either really.. but we'll have to see how we go.
  • please dont think i was having a go, i realise i could have put it better. i dont want to offend anyone.

it is a bit of a faff with all the boxes to recycle, but i suppose its just something we're all gonna have to put up with as the council try to reduxce spending and up costs for us, and the best bit is they wont even provide a plastics one...... so we have to trudge to a 'local' (yeah four miles away) supermarket to recycle them. (so we dont!) we cant put cardboard in the paper box coz they wont take it, and the bin must be fully shut or they wont take it.
    as for the tips, they open 11 till 2 mondays and weds, and 9 till 12 sat.

i really do respect people who can and do use reusables, i was just trying in my fumbling way to say that nappies dont smell in two weeks coz we use those fragranced biodeg bags.

really sorry if ive upset anyone.

xxx
  • Oh i never thought you were having a go.. i'm grumpy today... insurance companies make me grumpy!!! If i sounded like I was grumping at yuo then i'm sorry!!! I've just got the hump with the recycling cause its such a faff.. so many rules and we must do this and that and the other, and the binmen can't even be bothered to put the lids back on the boxes..

its good to know that you can get it so the nappies don't smell though, we plan on trying to make our yard nice next year so we can let baby play out and i didn't fancy sitting out in a yard stinking of nappies..its bad enough having to put up wtih teh stupid barking dog next door without needing pegs on noses as well as earplugs image