Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

breastfeeding..what does it do to yur breasts?

hi this may sound a bit vain when i am supposed to be caring only about the welfare of my baby but, i am considering breastfeeding my second (due in may) and as i didnt do this with my first as i was on my own and felt unable to cope with having to do al the feeds etc aswell as everyhting else, i have no idea what it would be like..am am conserned that after you stop it makes you breasts smaller ( i am only an A cup normally and this would be terrible for me to go even smaller!) or do they stay big like in pregnancy while you are breastfeeding and then just go back to pre-pregnancy size once you stop? also could anyone tell me how i could leanr how to do it (sorry if that sounds silly but do hospitals offer classes normally?)

Replies

• Hi laura

My boobs still looked great after feeding 2 babies for 11mths and 9 mths. I had always been a 10B and went to 12DD. After i finished feeding 2nd baby I slowly lost the last few kilos and went back to a 10B/C.

I can't go braless very often these days though, but I am 34yo as well, so it may just be old age, lol.

I think breast feeding is the best, if only for convenience, especially at night, and don't care what strangers think when you're out. My 3rd baby is due in 3 weeks and I'll breast feed again for at least 6 months, it's the best way to give baby a healthy start.

I think it can depend a lot on your age and body type. Good luck with your choice and I'm sure your boobs will be beautiful afterwards too.

Shell
    36+5
  • hi. i have breast fed all 5 of my babies each for - 1 year, 2 years, 5 months, 9 months and i am still breast feeding my 23 week old. my boobs are bigger than before i had my kids but gravity has also taken it's toll slightly!!!! my advice is to get a really good feeding bra fitted by an experianced person who deals with pregnant and breast feeding mums. this will help loads. good luck .xxxx
  • am conserned that after you stop it makes you breasts smaller ( i am only an A cup normally and this would be terrible for me to go even smaller!) or do they stay big like in pregnancy while you are breastfeeding and then just go back to pre-pregnancy size once you stop? also could anyone tell me how i could leanr how to do it (sorry if that sounds silly but do hospitals offer classes normally?)

i breast fed my 2 and am sure my boobs are the same now as they were before (although i'm only 24).
    as for learning how to do it i found reading about it really helped and also did a class at the hospital before i had my first. the midwife will help you with it after the birth too.
    i think that if you like the idea of breastfeeding you might a well try it (i know it doesn't work for everyone) and personally think its easier than washing/ sterilising/ making up of bottles then warming them up! i'm lazy though!
    also agree with getting a good bra xx.
  • I had a perfectly fitted bra but I still lost a whole cup size after breastfeeding my daughter for 1 year. I don't think its the same for everyone though, some women's boobs stay bigger some get smaller some stay the same.

I did lose a lot of weight after having my baby so that could also be another reason why I lost a cup size. They have returned now that I'm a bit fatter (7 years on!) and I'm now a B cup again yay!
  • your nipples go dry and cracked and even bleed! ouch xx
  • where would people suggest getting a decent fitted bra from image i need one as i'd like to get it a lil worn in and used to it b4 the birth. also where would you get one that's big enough. i'm a E now with still growing i'm sure i'll get to an for bigger I'm living in a mother care sleep bra at the moment which is morn all day everyday bar weekends when they get washed and i go braless to allow a little air to them.
  • hi-27 weeks pregnant with 1st baby. I had breast enlargement 5 years ago ( vain i know but i didnt think i would ever want a baby) i am hoping to breast feed but am unsure as to whether i will be able to, my boobs have grown huge during pregnancy so im hoping all will work as intended
  • bravissimo are very good for fitting girlies who start off with generous size boobs. it's hard to find wire free bras in big sizes that still give decent support, but i got a couple from bravissimo and they're really good. i think it's worth getting fittted a few times as pg progresses.
  • I'm normally a 32FF and when my milk came in I went up to a 34H. I've breastfed for 61/2 months now and am just begining to stop. I managed to find some soft underwired bras (which where a god send) on figleaves website. Breastfeeding is really lovely, give it a try and see!