Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

spotting - advice please!

Hi - I'm nearly 7 weeks... I had a bit of spotting last night. Just went to the loo and when I wiped there was a bit of reddy/brown blood on the paper (sorry to be graphic).

I feel fine but now really terrified - it seems to have stopped this morning but not sure whether I should do anything.

Any advice REALLY appreciated - I feel really scared about it

Replies

• Hi Mimsie

I know it's easily said but try ot to worry. I had early bleeding and was told by the hospital that unless I had filled two of their industrial sized sanitry towels and there were clots then everythign was probably fine, I had an early scan and there was a heartbeat and I'm now 22 weeks. Good luck - thinking of you. If you're worried go straight to casualty and they refer you straight on the the early pregnancy unit, xxx
  • Thanks so much Lola - I just called Nhs Direct and the nurse said that unless I have clots and more bleeding, I should try not to worry. Is good to hear from someone who's had the same thing. I wonder if everyone spends the first 12 weeks just worrying!

Thanks ever so much... xx
  • Thanks so much Lola - I just called Nhs Direct and the nurse said that unless I have clots and more bleeding, I should try not to worry. Is good to hear from someone who's had the same thing. I wonder if everyone spends the first 12 weeks just worrying!

Thanks ever so much... xx
  • Hi Mimsie,
    Do I know how you feel! I had spotting first at about 5 weeks, called NHS Direct and they said what they told you, it was after sex so she said I'd probably bruised my cervix. Sorry if TMI. Anyway, I wrote it off as implantation, but it started again at 6 weeks and carried on, almost constantly, until 11 weeks gone! So as u can imagine I did spend the first 12 weeks worrying, constantly checking for blood, it was only when my bump started growing that I relaxed a bit...

I had 2 early scans and the baby was fine but no-one told me where I was bleeding from...I even started avoiding sex but that didn't make any difference. I did some research and apparently if you're not producing many pregnancy hormones your body thinks you're not pregnant so you have 'breakthrough' bleeding, like a period.

I am now 18+5 and everything's going well image

Basically, just don't worry. It is so common, and the nurse is prob right, if there's no pain/clots then there's no need to panic! xxxxx
  • Thankn you SO much Tiger Lily... I do bleed easily (if I have a smear or anything) so perhaps I'm just a bit prone! It's so lovely to hear from people who have had something similar and are now doing fine. My imagination is going a bit crazy.

A BIG thank you for replying... and I hope everything goes really well for you
  • Hi Mimsie,

I have just found out that I am preganant! And i worry about everything! I had a previos MC so really really worrying this time! Im jus taking things really easy this time round!

If ur worried about anything then u should see your Dr, U dont wanna take any chances! Even if its only nothing!!

xx
  • You're wecome hun - and basically yes - I think everyone spends their whole pregnancy worrying. I think we are all doomed to spend the rest of our lives as worrying barmpots so it's not just you at all. I was a quivering wreck by the time i got to my first proper scan at 13 weeks but I'm still worrying now, xxx
  • I had some spotting on and off from about 6-10 weeks with both my pregnancies. I now think I was brought on by sex, Hormonal changes make your cervix soften a little bit initially i was told or it could be a bit of implantation bleeding There are lot's of reasons for a little spotting. I had a miscarriage the first time and I did bleed very heavy with lot's of clot's I would suggest if it starts to get gradually heavier and you get clots I would ask for a early scan. I also heard that some people can bleed pretty heavy early on and still have a normal pregnancy. I know it's scary trust me from experience but try not to worry I got pregnant the second time straight away with no period inbetween. I am now 29 weeks pregnant and it's just over 29 weeks since my miscarriage which apparently according to my local EPAU was impossible ( I measured up at 7 weeks plus 5 days exactly eight weeks after my mc in a early scan I also saw the heartbeat for the first time)

good luck and try not to worry.