Forum home General Chat Products & best buys

Hi I'm New and I have a Seating problem!

Hi Everyone,

Am new to the site and I have a question about seating. I need to know what product to buy for my baby's and my current needs!! :\?

My baby is 7 months old and cannot sit up for herself. Whenever I practice with her, she is too interested in something to one side of her or behind her (even something as boring as the sofa - anything!), so she always flips to her stomach and I can't get her to sit up unless I am there next to her putting her up again every 2 seconds.

I have a bouncy chair with bubbles and light display that she used to sit in for ages but she is now too heavy for it and almost flips it over. We also borrowed a Bumbo from a friend which was great for short-term sitting but once she drops her toys on the floor she can't get them back and also she flipped out of it once. I have to give it back to my friend now and am not too tempted to buy one of my own.

I need a chair that she will sit comfortably in for at least half an hour at a time unsupervised so I can get on with things. She won't stay in her cot for too long and I don't really have the space in my small flat for a playpen. I need a safe place to put her so she can relax and listen to music or something I can string her toys to. Is there anything out there for her age? I did try her highchair but she is too small for it and slumps and I would also prefer something more comfortable not associated with eating.

I'd appreciate all ideas please!!

Replies

• Hi, it will only be a matter of time before she can sit on her own so I am assuming that you only want a temporary solution, however, I recommend getting the Baby Bjorn Bouncey Chair (60pds) it is expensive for a temporary soloution. However it is very solid and is suitable for children up to 2yrs.

My LO is nearly two and she stills loves it, and she has yet to flip out of it and boy does she try as she now uses it to actual bounce as high as she can. It has 3 reclining levels and is perfect for newborns too, so it is something that you can definitely use again. The initial cost is on the high side, but on a use by cost basis, it works out quite cheap (which is better than I can say for a lot of other things. It fold flat, and so can travel with ease.

Let me know what you decide on.
  • Thanks for that advice. Looked it up on net and saw what you meant. It is on the pricey side since I already have a bouncy chair, only mine is only suitable to 6 months. You don't always think about these things at the beginning! There are so many great products out there - I wish I could have them allimage

I went to a baby group the other day and they had an inflatable ring. I'd never really thought about that before but she sat in it really well and when she was tired she was able to lean back. And they deflate too for easy storage. I was really thinking about getting one but a friend said that it would be a waste of money to get one this late on as she would crawl out of it before too long. I am definitely going to get one for my next child though. For the moment I have managed to borrow a more robust chair (Chicco rocking chair) off a friend who is South African and flying out there to see her family for the next 6 weeks. So I have a few weeks and then hopefully she'll be sitting by herself much better by then.

Sigh!

Meanwhile my highchair is faulty and has to go back and it's all a bit of a pain!

Thanks anyway!
  • i have the inflatable ring, its been great. even when she first started crawling she stayed in it and gradually tipped herself over the side!!!
  • We have the Fisher Price Infant-to-Toddler rocker. It is good until the baby is about 3 years old.