Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baked Xmas Prezzies

Hi everyone, I am planning to bake cakes and biscuits as Xmas gifts and I need to know where u can buy cake tins from? Also, what is the best way to store freshly baked cakes and biscuits? I was thinking of getting some glass storage jars for the biccies and tins for the cakes - are these ok and how long should the food last? Any advice would be appreciated x

Replies

• Options
    fruit cakes last ages. cos they say when you get married you should keep a tier from your cake for your 1st baby's christening!! it sounds a lovely idea. what about somewhere like ikea for cheap tins and jars?? or matalan.
  • Options
    we bought some christmas cookie cutters from tesco today ??2.
  • Options
    am so jealous - i wish i could bake or even cook lol!
  • Options
    i'm a crap cook too but you can that the pre- packed ones that just need mixed up and put in the oven. you can get xmas biscuit ones with cookie cutters too. think thats what i'll be doing for xmas image and some decorated crispie cakes! mmm.
  • Options
    You can buy Christmas cake tins at Wilkinson's. They come in differnet sizes and are very inexpensive. I'm baking cranberry biscotti as gifts and putting them in Christmas cello bags and tying them with ribbon.
  • Options
    cranberry biscotti, sounds yummy
    can i pinch the recipe?. xx
  • Options
    i cant even bake the boxed cakes, mine always end up all gooooeee, and not cooked properly, am so bad lol! think i will get my mum to do it all lol!
  • Options
    cranberry biscotti, sounds yummy
    can i pinch the recipe?. xx

Here you go. Sorry, it's an American recipe and I only have the measures, not the weights.

Cranberry biscotti

Ingredients:
    2-1/2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup butter at room temperature
    2 large eggs
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    1-1/2 cups dried cranberries
    1 egg white
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; whisk to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat sugar, eggs, butter, and extract together. Mix in flour and then dried cranberries.

Divide dough in half. Using floured hands, shape each piece into a log directly on the baking sheet. Whisk egg white and brush top and sides of each log. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until golden. Cool completely. Slice logs with serrated knife and bake 10 minutes on baking sheet without parchment. Turn biscotti over and bake an additional 5 minutes