Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Waters broke last night... now nothing!

Hi All!

Has anyone else had this - I had a sweep yesterday and last night my waters broke and oh my god did they break! It was like thunder river for about 2 hours! Went to the hospital and was having contractions but they were only lasting around 20 seconds but coming every 5 mins. They sent me home and advised me to rest till the contractions were at least 1 min long and at around 8am this morning... nadda - everythign has stopped!!

What now? Tomorrow I have to be induced if it doesn't happen of it's own accord - I am scared - has anyone been induced!?!?

Gembob xx

Replies

• Hi gembob,

I had a similar experience. My waters broke at 1:30am, labour ward told me to go in. I was having very strong contractions. Then about 2hrs later - nothing! Next day I spoke to a doctor who told me they would let me go up to 4 days b4 inducing me, but that I couldnt go home as my last labour had been so fast (just over an hour!) Next day I practically begged one of the MW's if I could be induced as I wanted to either get it going or go home! She had a word with the doc, who agreed.

Later that evening I was taken to a labour room, hooked up to syntocinon, and had my daughter within the hour!

they started the dose off at a low level, then gradually increased it. After the 3rd increase, the contractions suddenly got very intense and painful very quickly, but having said that, its what happened last time without induction. (my contractions seem to go from 0 - 100 in an instant!) I was monitored to check the baby's heartbeat as apparently they can get distressed after induction as labour gets intense so quickly. I managed with gas and air, but didnt really have time for anything else anyway.

Uuummmm........... dont really think there is much else I can tell you. Some of the other women were having the pessaries to induce them, but got no personal experience of those.

Hope this has helped. Dont be scared as you are in safe hands. If you are worried about anything then ask them, and keep on asking until you feel happier. Just think of it this way, it wont be long until you are holding your gorgeouos little baby, just in time for xmas too!!! Good luck hun, and dont forget to let us know what you have and how you are!! x

(ps DONT WORRY!! ;\))
  • my sis had to be induced she was due on 23rd june n hade her baby girl 1st july .guess her baby as poor time keeping.she was fine though nothing to worry about.i cant wait till july wen my bundle of joy is due. xx
  • Hi this happened to me with both my girls my waters broke with my first yet didnt go into labour and had to be induced 2 days later, with my second they broke but i went into labour myself a day later.

Hope your lil one comes soon at least you can see the end is near now!

xx
  • hi ladies, i think my waters hav broke!! thursday at 4pm i started to trickle fluid, (tmi) sorry it was pinkish in colour, foned hospital they told me to come in, had to stay over nite as they couldnt be sure if they where broke as im just trickling out. well i got out off hospital as a different doctor came in the morning. now is fluid loss is getting heavier, im 36 weeks 2moro, and they will hav to keep me until 37 weeks b4 they can start me. im really confused??? has anyone on here experienced this????
  • hi ladies, i think my waters hav broke!! thursday at 4pm i started to trickle fluid, (tmi) sorry it was pinkish in colour, foned hospital they told me to come in, had to stay over nite as they couldnt be sure if they where broke as im just trickling out. well i got out off hospital as a different doctor came in the morning. now is fluid loss is getting heavier, im 36 weeks 2moro, and they will hav to keep me until 37 weeks b4 they can start me. im really confused??? has anyone on here experienced this????
  • Hi jellybaby this was the case with my youngest i was 36 weeks when my waters broke, but didnt go into labour. They wanted to keep me in hospital for the week up until i was 37 weeks as thats when you are classed as term! If they were to induce you before 37 weeks you would have to constantly be monitered and if you want to move about in labour you cant do it, so it does have some positives. My daughter had other ideas as after a day and half in hospital she decided to come herself, and was classed as a premature baby.

Hope this helps for you xx
  • hi madnbella+1
    this is just doing my head in now, i just want ot know whats goin on!! they said they would have to keep me in over xmas and let me out 4 a few hours xmas day, so im reluctant to fone hospital again about fluid loss. it will nearly be 3days since this started to happen, no signs of contractions. im just worried that the baby will catch an infection, if i dont do something. do u think its my waters??
  • It does sound like your waters and know how frustrating it is but over xmas must be worse. Maybe because it is xmas they also want to hang on. They wont want to induce you tomorrow as they are usually understaffed over xmas but because you are early they need to monitor baby due to infection, you also have a course of antibitotics when in labour as i think there is more chance of any infection being passed when delivering. Could you maybe speak to doctor/midwive on duty and see wether you could hang on and just come in an afternoon a day or something to be monitered until next week. I knwo you will be back and forth but at home?

xx
  • thanks for ur advice, im going to fone the hospital to see what they say, thanks again!!!
  • how did you get on? x
  • i had a baby boy that evening of the 23rd, @ 7.30pm, weighting 5lb 4oz!!! called. him Keelan! birth story is on labour and birth forum. when r u due?