Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

SPD...Early Induction?????

Hi Girls.

I'm so fed up. I have SPD, although no one has turned round and said i have it. I have severe pain in my hips and groin and over the past few days it has gotten so bad that i can't open my legs and walking is nearly unbearable.

I still have 4 weeks til my due date but am really struggling to move. I also have a one year old to look after.

I have been reffered to physio twice throughout my pregnancy who gave me exercises to do and a back support. They worked for a while but not now. I am in so much pain.

Will they give me an early inducion cos my midwife said the only cure is to have the baby. I really cant go on another hour, let alone 4 weeks!

Am i within my rights to ask for one? say 38 weeks? I just cant stand the pain and the fact i can bearly move any longer!! :cry:

Any advice please?

Heather 36 weeks xxxx

Replies

• If they won't induce what about crutches for the last couple of weeks? The crutches would at least take some of pressure offf when trying to get around and might give some symptom relief?
  • Yeah Maybe but when i went to physio she said they dont like to give them out. They think the back supports work better. I'll ask tho, Just still bit difficult with my 1year old!

xxx
  • Hi hevma, im 36weeks today and suffer from SPD, i got the pelvic support belt and crutches to help me walk which help a little but like you im finding it so so hard to walk, lie down etc. I am due to have a c-section and the consultant has said that due to my SPD he will bring it forward so i dont have to suffer anymore. hopefully around 37+ weeks or 38+ weeks max. i would definately talk to your Dr. midwife.
    i know how you feeling! goodluck
    Ingrid 36wks.
  • I had really bad spd with my daughter and the consultant at the hospital said they'd induce me the day after my due date. I went in for the induction and they refused to do it! I was so annoyed but they said there was no softening of the cervix at all and that they thought the induction would fail so they made me wait till I was 10 days overdue before they induced me. I was in agony with my spd, I hardly moved off the sofa in the last 2 weeks as it was so painful.
    As it happened, my induction still failed and I ended up having an emergency section at 14 days over! sot they should have just done it on the first date!
    I really hope you get an early induction date as it is not a pleasant thing to suffer from and your only release from it is birth!!
    Not long to go now for you though, just keep thinking of the end result and everything is worthwhile.
    xx
  • Bit of a mixed bag of replies there. It is so much worse today, i cant do anything. I cant cope with it. Every position i lie/sit in is pure agony!

I see the consultant on wednesday but that seems like forever away the way i'm feeling.

Any other advice??

Heather xxx
  • hey hevma, im also due to see my consultant on wed, it would be interesting to see what yours says and mine says!
    let me know what the verdict is on wed.
    goodluck
    ingrid 36+1
  • Hi Hevma,
    Sorry to hear your in so much pain. I'm fed up and uncomfortable and don't have SPD so feel bad for whinging now! I hope they can help you on Wednesday and give you an induction.
    Thinking of you,
    Amy xxxxx
  • Ah thanks amy, Thats really nice. I am so fed up. it hurts so bad. I cant stop crying and i hate taking so much paracetamol. I've been researching it and there's loadsa stuff you cant do when giving birth n that. I've totally scared myself! I'm so so scared!! I just want it to go away.

Sorry for dribbling on but i'm at my witts end now!!

Heather xxx
  • hi girls

I'm 23 weeks and suffering from spd too - have had back pain since about 15 weeks and thought it was just my bad back playing up - its now definately spd and god its agony at times! I feel like I'm 101!

Can I ask you all when it started for you guys and have you managed to continue to work? I work full time and I'm starting to struggle - desk job. I am starting to reduce my hrs a wee bit but I'm very stubborn! I don't want to make things worse but also don't want to give in too easily either. Going to see consultant on Thurs about my thyroid so will ask what he thinks then. Already have bump support and hip support belt too. It does help a bit I think cause when I take it off to go to bed, it aches even more. Trying to turn during the night and get up to the loo, is like I am 101 - honestly! Are you guys the same?

I am keen to hear what your consultant says about inducing you, as although I'm a long way off - I was late with both of my previous kids so guessing I will be late again...

Wishing you all well and take care you guys..

Jac
    xxx
  • Hi Heather, Im no longer pregnant, my lo is now 11 weeks old, I suffered with SPD from around 17 weeks and by 29 weeks I was on crutches. I was seeing physio once a week (what little use that was) and had the belts too. I was unable to drive in the end and was signed off work form 29 weeks (am a nurse and do 12 hours shifts) I requested to have a c-sec as was unable to part my legs enough for a natural delivery. I was lucky that i got one too. I didn't have a problem with the section and the severity of the pain went within 24 hours of delivery. I do suffer occasional pain, but mainly at night and i still sleep with a pillow between knees. But it;s not stopped me from doing anything since giving birth. Good luck if you decided to have an induction and you should be given one as there is something called maternal rights and you are able to request and have the type of delivery you want.

Gem.xx
  • Hi Heather, Im no longer pregnant, my lo is now 11 weeks old, I suffered with SPD from around 17 weeks and by 29 weeks I was on crutches. I was seeing physio once a week (what little use that was) and had the belts too. I was unable to drive in the end and was signed off work form 29 weeks (am a nurse and do 12 hours shifts) I requested to have a c-sec as was unable to part my legs enough for a natural delivery. I was lucky that i got one too. I didn't have a problem with the section and the severity of the pain went within 24 hours of delivery. I do suffer occasional pain, but mainly at night and i still sleep with a pillow between knees. But it;s not stopped me from doing anything since giving birth. Good luck if you decided to have an induction and you should be given one as there is something called maternal rights and you are able to request and have the type of delivery you want.

Gem.xx
  • Hi Jac, Mine started pretty early, cant remember when but when the baby lifted out of my pelvis it went. Now its back and is so so bad

Yeah mine is at its worst at bed time, i am lucky if i make it to the loo sometimes, sorry tmi but its that bad. Takes me ages to get outta bed!

I'm keen to hear what my consultant says to cos so far my mw has just fobbed me off! I'll let you know tho!!

Heather xxx
  • hey chickin i find out on thursday when im gettin induced because of my spd i am on morphine and on crutches and i also have a wheelchair as i am unable to stand up properly i will be 38 weeks by then and i cant wait hopefully its soon cos i am in agony xxx
  • There is hope for me yet! Mine hasn't been recognised by anyone and it makes me so angry cos nothing has happened. Crutches might have helped me!! And morphine would help me loads. xxx
  • lol hope everything is ok my midwife has been a godsend she is an absolute angel for diagnosing this i am having and early epidural and laying on my left side to give birth morphine is great but makes me and bub sleepy i also have 2 inject myself everynight with fragmin to stop blood clots hope everything goes great i think ill be in hospital later might be in labour woop woo lol xxx
  • O good luck!!

See, its not even anywhere in my notes about it. and i know precautions have to be taken for giving birth. I am so frustrated, annoyed and very distressed about the whole thing!!

Keep me informed with your possible labour. Hope it goes well for you

Heather xx
  • ask your midwife to put it in your notes as you wont be able put your legs in stirrups like some hospitals want if not go 2 ur gp

contractions stopped at 1oclock this mornin grrr really did think that was it hopefully it will start again 2day lol xxx
  • I had assisted delivery with my last and i heard that you cant have forceps with spd. I gave birth on my back as well and now i'm starting to worry if that birth has affected it this time cos no one seemed bothered when i had this last time, although it wasn't as bad as this time!

I took painkillers last night, paracetamol at 4, codiene at 7 paracetamol at 8 and codiene at half 11 and slept ok cos i was out of it but they have given me a headache! Cant win!!

Bubsmummy, do your legs ache all the time aswell?

Bummer about your contractions. mine with my first stopped and started for about 2 days! xxx
  • yeah they ache all the time its so annoying my contractions have been on and off four 4 weeks since i went into prem labour and they stopped it i had 2 shows and still nothin not long 2 go now tho have you got a TENS machine i found they made the pain a bit better xxx
  • Hi Girls, I am 39 weeks today and have been suffering with SPD for some time now, I have been on crutches for several weeks and haven't left the house much at all as have just needed to rest so much.

I have been to see a consultant at the hospital this morning about getting induced early. They examined me and did quite a painful internal exam only to tell me that I wasn't ready to be induced and there would be little chance of it working if they did it now and it would just end up with a c-section which I would rather avoid. So I have another appointment for next Monday where they will check again and see what happens.