Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Blood Test Worrys

Hi,Has anyone had any problems with their blood tests?? I ask as I had all the usual taken at my booking appt on Dec 5th.I was full of cold and had a bad chest so it wasn't surprising that it came back that my white cells were high and had to have a repeat test done.This was done Dec 27th.I rang today for results and was told it needed to be repeated again.Din't say when or why?? So I have a test booked for Jan 21st but also need blood taken by midwife on 23rd for triple test.Its all so worrying.Don't know what to make of it and no-one seems to have any answers.Its left me very weepy as a result and that fact I've got to wait for 2 weeks as well hasn't helped.Am worried something is wrong.Sickness is easing.Just got fingers crossed all is well as see midwife on my birthday when I'll be 16 weeks! (fingers crossed):\?

Replies

• Sorry I don't have any answers but it's so annoying the way GP surgeries do this! Worry you by saying you need a repeat blood test/smear/whatever and then the real reason is that they screwed up the results, it's happened to loads of people I know, never to me though thankfully. I'm betting that's whats happened to you. Why don't you just call the doctors and ask why the test needs to be repeated, they can't exactly say that they cant tell u as you are the patient after all.

My white cell count came back as 'borderline' as it was low, I found this out from my notes and no-one ever mentioned it. I came down with the flu really badly a week later so I guess thats why but its still worrying isn't it!

I also had high blood pressure at 16 weeks and my midwife needed a urine sample to test for protein but I just couldn't pee, I was so frightened and nervous! I then had to go back and get BP checked a fortnight later and I was so nervous all the 2 weeks but it has been normal - even low - ever since so I guess it was a one off and things have continued normally, but I still freak out at needing bloods done or bp checked, just 'white coat syndrome' I guess!

Philippa, 24 wks x x x
  • Thanks.Have been a wreck all night.Decided to ring GP this morning and get a telephone consultation (getting an appointment is like getting hold of pixie dust!).The more I think about things (bad for my health I know!) the more silly it seems to take 2 lots of blood with a matter of days.I'm not great at getting blood anyway so either one of the tests is bound not to get done!! Going to ask about a smear test as well as I have got my 6 month reminder but as a little apprehensive this time as don't want to upset things.Think hormones have gone on a big party as woke very emotional this morning.Just as you start to get the sickness out of the way you find yourself in tears for no apparent reason!!!
  • Hi Julie,
    They messed up my blood tests causing me to go into melt down think something was terribly wrong with me. I was a complete emotional wreck so i know how you are feeling, I posted on here with the same anxieties as you, trust me, all sorts went through my head!!I went to see the midwife about it as i was so upset and it seems they had spelt my name wrong twice on repeat blood tests and that was all it was. My name has 9 lettters in it, first and last!! She said to me if it was anything urgent they'd have wanted to see me straight away and it seems its a few weeks til your next tests so i really think it will be fine. Apparently, if there is one tiny bit of info wrong on the lable on the tube, the lab won't even test it and its quite common so it might well be that. Try not to worry, let us know what they say on the phone today x x
  • Hi Julie,
    They messed up my blood tests causing me to go into melt down think something was terribly wrong with me. I was a complete emotional wreck so i know how you are feeling, I posted on here with the same anxieties as you, trust me, all sorts went through my head!!I went to see the midwife about it as i was so upset and it seems they had spelt my name wrong twice on repeat blood tests and that was all it was. My name has 9 lettters in it, first and last!! She said to me if it was anything urgent they'd have wanted to see me straight away and it seems its a few weeks til your next tests so i really think it will be fine. Apparently, if there is one tiny bit of info wrong on the lable on the tube, the lab won't even test it and its quite common so it might well be that. Try not to worry, let us know what they say on the phone today x x
  • Gp had just rung.Apparently my white cells are still up but only just.So I will need to go ahead with the repeat test booked for 21st Jan.I will also need to midwife to do the triple test on 23rd as planned (should be fun as have hopeless veins!)Raised white cells can be sign of infection as well as just being pregnant! So due to my age!! (gosh I'm really old at 37!!) they just want to be on the safe side.Got to take a water sample in as well.Told not to worry.Easier said than done with rageing hormones! That said at least I don't have to have my smear until 3 months after baby is born!! So thats got to be a bonus.Hate them every 6 months!! Thanks to everyone for their support.felt like I had gone into melt down!! xx