Forum home General Chat Products & best buys
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

car seats

I need to buy a new car seat for my baby who is only 13weeks old (she's already out-grown the one she's got). Obviously it has to have a rearward facing option on it and preferable one to last her a few years. Any ideas?

Replies

• Options
    When you say she's outgrown it, how do you mean? How much does she weigh? The best one I can think of for you would be the Britax First Class Si, it's suitable from birth and you keep it rearward facing until baby is at least 20lbs then you can turn it round and use it forward facing until she around 3-4 years old. It's around ??130 but there's some in the sales at the mo. Only thing is, because it's the size of a second stage car seat, a lot of cars don't have a seat belt long enough to go all the way around it when it is rearward facing but you can check on the Britax website if it will fit your car. Hope this helps, I work for mothercare and have done car seat training so if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try and help
  • Options
    we have the britax si it's on offer in mothercare at the moment for ??89.99 but they may be still out of stock.

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B000M8HTZ4/sr=1-10/qid=1199796784/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=44451031&mcb=core

I can't understand how he could've grown out of the seat by 13 weeks as a 0+ last until around 9 months old. I have my toddler in the britax so and the baby (7 months) in a 0+ graco car seat from my travel system. now the baby is BIG and still fits in it now. sometimes when he had his big coat on it was hard to get the straps round him, but now I just put a warm thinner coat then put a fleece blanket round him too. As long as his head isn't popping over the top of the seat or he's over the recommended weight then it should be ok.

xx
  • Options
    She weighs 11lb,2 now. The problem is her length. Her legs are quite short but her body is really long, and only way she fits in is with the straps quite loose so that they go up and over her shoulders. But surely that isn't safe. When i tighten her strap they push down really hard on her shoulders and squash her body up. Her head is at the top of the seat.
    Thanks mumof2 for offering advice. I might have to take you up on that one. Gona look at britax by looks of it.
    Thanks again
  • Options
    hi,

I think I know what you mean by "squashing" up baby's body. I had noticed this with my lo. Then I looked at the instructions that came with the car seat and adjusted the shoulder straps so they go higher, and don't squash baby any more (I have moved them up about 3 or 4 times in the past 2 months). I also took out the new-born booster cushion - didn't even know it was there until I looked at the instructions.

My lo is 22 weeks and 8 kg (17 lb 10 oz) and can still fit in car seat, but his feet are starting to stick out beyond the edge so I have to be careful not to knock them when taking him in and out of the car. We are also thinking about getting the next stage car seat.

xx
  • Options
    there are only 2 setting on the shoulder straps, and it's been on the top one for a while now. Gina625, which car seat do you have? It sounds like it's got a lot more adjustments than ours. Will look at instructions though and see about booster cushion.
  • Options
    hi

we've got Britax CosyTot Premium. The shoulder strap adjustments are done with a clip thing at the back of the car seat. Ours has 7 positions.

Do check your instructions and maybe go to Mothercare or Halfords to see if someone can look at your car seat and see what other adjustments can be made.

Good luck
    xx
  • Options
    Thank you. We looked at the instructions and found there was a baby booster cushion in it, so we've taken that out so it should last her a while longer now.