Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

Home alone

my husband has gone back to work after 5 weeeks of. our baby tommy is 6 weeks old so i know im really lucky to have had all that support for so long. but i was quite excited to have the house to myself, well me, the toddler and the baby. we just dont seem to have got into any type of rountine while the husband has been off and we was really good with establishing a rountine with the first baby.

anyway i've got them both down for a nap, for how long i dont know !? how is everyone else feeling? is anyone else struggling to set a routine?

rebecca x

Replies

• hi rebecca

must have been lovely ahving hubs home for that long! im secretly glad oh has gone back to work cos of the crappy paternity pay he got (if it werent for me being a student and getting my grants today aswell) we would be in alot of trouble money wise. that has been stressing me out so much so i have been pleased to be on my own to chill and not worry about him. im trying not to worry about routine i just make sure that when we go to bed and ryan wakes for his feed i dont stimulate him too much and try to get him straight back to sleep. works most days!
    r u still napping when ur los nap? i cant be bothered to tbh and think well im getting 8 hours even if it is broken throughout the night so im ok!
    ill worry about routine when he is a bit bigger and feeding to a routine.

can u get babies into a routine with feeds when u breast feed?if not ill have to start saving to buy formula cos i dont want to do it for a year!

xxx
  • Hi... my hubby went back to work after a week - then he was off for 2 weeks over xmas which was great.... tbh we don't have any routine at all - I'm lucky if I can grab half an hours sleep during the day - but only if my 2 year old feels like cooperating! I'm averaging between 4-5 hours broken sleep at night and I'm shattered (neither toddler or baby like sleep very much!).

At the mo I'm typing with lo in my arms and toddler playing by my feet! Not sure when we'll get a proper routine sorted though - think we're all in the same boat really. em x

• We're home alone for first time in 4weeks too and it's lovely to have a peaceful household at last! It was great having hubby home for so long but nearly 5 year old has been very demanding - much more so than baby and two year old put together!
    It's really nice to be able to devote all my attention to Gracie. She's set her own routine of guzzling mornings, sleeping afternoons then guzzling teatime til 9-10pm. Wakes twice at night and last nt thanks to dummy, she slept between us on our bed rather than on my chest. Hope that continues then next step'll be getting her in her moses or cot....
    Managed to express 4oz yest so hubby gonna give an eve feed so she's not permenantly hanging off my boob!!! So glad she took bottle no probs!
    Can't believe she's nearly a month old!
  • Its hubbys first day back at work today.. he had a good stretch of almost 3 weeks off because of bank holidays and an extra day he was owed..and it seems awfully quiet in the house. Poor hubby he really didn't want to go back to work.

Feeling quite accomplished though cause I've managed to get a shower, get us both dressed, do some washing up and get some washing on. Not really a lot but Cole has also fed badly once, had a bottle and then had a good bf and he even fell asleep on his own in the moses basket but that might have been just to shut me up from singing to him while I washed up cause he was grizzling!

Gonna get the baby carrier out later and go for a walk... now there is just me and him in the daytime I can do this - hubby likes pushing the buggy so I haven't tried the carrier yet!!
  • aaaahhh i feel so much better reading this! I was starting to panic about having no routine whatsover, Lily wanting to feed all the time and refusing to sleep in her moses basket. My hubby has only just started his pat leave so once i had got rid of all my visitors he is now off but once he starts work i'm gonna try and get some sort of normality! Like you Kia i feel like ive acheived something if we are both washed and dressed before midday especially if i have managed to wash the dishes or so some laundry too!
  • seems like everone is feeling the same. we all like our husbands and boyfriends around but we also like it when we get to spend a little time with the new babies alone, i feel less stressed when tommy is crying cus i know that if hes just having a whinge my husband is'nt there trying to put his dummy in every 2 seconds.
    i was mad last night though, i thought the husband might give me a night off and do the 4am feed, but no! he didnt hear tommy wake up? i was really mad, like crazy mad! then i couldn't sleep after i had changed fed the baby,im proper tired now.

tommy has his first injections on wednesday, cant believe how quick it has come round, i hope it doesn't bother him too much, it didnt with the eldest, i will get the calpol ready!! xx
  • Rebecca - can you give them calpol at this age? I thought it was 2 months you could give t hem. I have some ready - my friend did a bag full of useful stuff for us - including calpol sachets cause she said otherwise we'd end up with an open bottle of calpol that had been used once and never again!

Its been nice having hubby back this weekend.. his boss made sure he didn't work this saturday so we've had 3 days of him at work and now 2 days at home. I left him with the baby and cleaned the bathroom.... I feel so much better now my bathroom is not disgusting..maybe next weekend I'll get the bathroom floor cleaned!!
  • hi from 2 months they can have it and cus tommy was early he will be 2 months on wednesday. the health visitor advised me to get some calpol in when i had my first baby cus sometimes the injections can make them a bit off it.

i know what you mean about the bathroom i was ashamed of mine when i came out of hospital but couldnt do much cus of my c-section, my husband didnt take the hint though and i ended up finally doing it after 2 weeks!! i wasn't really that tidy before i had kids and now im cleaning all the time even when i know i could do with a well earned rest, whats that all about! x
  • Hubby does clean the bathroom - he cleaned it throughout most of my pregnancy cause he didn't want me using cleaning fluids and cause my back hurt. He does a good job but there are bits he misses, plus it hadn't been done since before I had Cole so it was really mingy. I was ashamed of it too and its so much better now its clean!

You can all throw things at me now for having a hubby that cleans! image

Cole has had a good long nap which we'll probably suffer for tonight but we managed to get his cot bed put together, most of his toys stashed on the cotbed and all his clothes moved into his room... our room looks a little less cluttered now!

This weeks project - cleaning the lounge and possibly even hoovering the stairs and mopping the bathroom floor!

I don't know how you guys with more than one kid manage to get things done!!!
  • Lol Kia!
    Must admit I'm quietly chuckling at you lot saying you'd managed to get you and baby ready b4 noon - we were exactly the same with no. 1 and it reminds me of the blur we lived in when Charlie was a baby!
    Now there are 5 of us it's so much easier as you have to get dressed etc to get where you need to be ie school! We're all up, fed, dressed and out by 8.30 but at weekends we revert to being lazy lumps, why rush if no need to be anywhere?! Make the most of it!
  • i wish i had a husband that cleans, did anything in fact. hes away at the moment with work, so im going crazy looking after a 2year old and a 8 week old baby. tommy had his first jabs today and proper screamed, i felt so sorry for him. im sure it wasnt as bad when my eldest went for the jabs. anyway felt really sad when i came back cus i couldnt even tell my husband about it (hes in the army so i couldnt just ring him to let him know, they are very strict!) so im telling you guys.

im going to try and order my food shopping online now, it takes me longer than actually going into tesco's xx
  • I'm home alone now for the first time since Philip was born, hubby is back at work, step kids are at school so it's just me, Philip & the dog! Theres loads of jobs to be done but i don't have the inclination to even start! Worst thing is i can't even veg in front of the tv as it broke down last night!! We had already ordered a new one but bloody DHL have managed to "lose" it somewhere so have to wait for them to admit they've lostr it before the shop will despatch another one, thinki might ask if i can go and collect it in person!

Injections... thats something i'm not looking forward too, hopefully philip won't be to bad with them, he barely murmured when they did heel prick and he was wide awake when they did it so fingers crossed!
  • Alioli - feel free to laugh.. I'm sure I must sound lame to people who are organised with more kids!! I don't know how I'd cope with another one!

Hope your lo is ok now Rebecca - I'm dreading Cole's jabs.. he kept having to have blood tests in hospital and I only watched the first one cause it made me cry seeing him scream. The other ones I just let them take him to the nursery so I didn't have to watch!

The hv says she does injections so I think I'll make sure she comes on a Thursday when hubby is off work. The heel prick test wasn't as bad cause I had to hold him up on my shoulder and I couldn't see what was going on and I was concentrating on keeping him still

You aren't missing much with no TV obi.. daytime TV is really boring today! I think we are gonna have to get a freeview box! Yes I am that much in the dark ages... we just have 4 channels....don't even get channel 5 here!
  • Alioli - feel free to laugh.. I'm sure I must sound lame to people who are organised with more kids!! I don't know how I'd cope with another one!

Hope your lo is ok now Rebecca - I'm dreading Cole's jabs.. he kept having to have blood tests in hospital and I only watched the first one cause it made me cry seeing him scream. The other ones I just let them take him to the nursery so I didn't have to watch!

The hv says she does injections so I think I'll make sure she comes on a Thursday when hubby is off work. The heel prick test wasn't as bad cause I had to hold him up on my shoulder and I couldn't see what was going on and I was concentrating on keeping him still

You aren't missing much with no TV obi.. daytime TV is really boring today! I think we are gonna have to get a freeview box! Yes I am that much in the dark ages... we just have 4 channels....don't even get channel 5 here!
  • hi kia i bet it was a shock to have your lo having to have blood tests, injections will be nothing compared to them so try to worry.
    alioli i wish my telly had broken down i have to watch cbeebies all the bloody time! it really does my head in, but i end up actually watching it and looking forward to certain programmes now.

the other thing that is doing my head in is, everyone keeps asking me when im going to have another baby, then laughing? i mean am i showing signs of strain? or do they think i never want a life again? who knows but i wish they would stop it. basically they are asking if when im going to have sex again! xx
  • the blood test was to check his jaundice was going... its just upsetting to see him cry and know he has to go through it.

i'm glad i'm not the only one who finds the 'next baby' comments irritating! my mother made 3 comments by the time lo was 2 weeks old and i snapped at her. hopefully she's got the message cause the next comment will have me telling her that if my son isn't good enough then she can stayaway. my auntie was like 'oh you don't want him growing up an only child'. its so annoying.. i had an awful birth and another baby isn't something we are thinking about... and i'm sure my mother has taken great pleasure in sharing the details with everyone!!
  • I've been asked soooo many times if 'that's it' or if I'm gonna even out the boy/girl ratio by having another. We should just wear a sign round our necks! ;-p
  • Good idea..mine will say 'bugger off..its none of your business if I decide to have another kid..you'll find out when its obvious!'

Intolerant..me..never!!
  • lol - I keep getting - 'for god sake Emma you're not going to have another one are you??'

On the subject of cleaning.... My 9year old step daughter said to me today - 'Emma you should get someone in to do all the cleaning and stuff because you obviously don't have the time anymore!!!!' Um I think I might do some cleaning tomorrow - I wouldn't have minded so much but I'd put the hoover through and did the dusting yesterday! Aren't kids great??!

Oh, and no, I'm not planning on having any more children - just in case anyone was going to ask!
  • Lol I think anyone on this forum will be the last to ask that question!!

Can't you get the kids doing some jobs? From about 5 me and my little brother were making our own beds and drying and putting away dishes. It was when I got to 18 that I got useful cause then my dad could send me to the s hop to buy him beer..lol