Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Sanatogen ProNatal...

Is anyone taking these? For those that dont know what it is its multivitimins and folic acid. It says on the box to take for the first 3 month of pregnancy, im 13 weeks now and still taking it. Should i stop? Will it harm my LO if i carry on? xx

Replies

• I take these, it says for use throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding. You don't need the folic acid after 12 weeks but the vits are still useful especially if your diet is not up to scratch. If in doubt check with the midwife but I plan to keep taking mine. xxxxxx
  • I take these, it says for use throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding. You don't need the folic acid after 12 weeks but the vits are still useful especially if your diet is not up to scratch. If in doubt check with the midwife but I plan to keep taking mine. xxxxxx
  • Ive been taking it and I am 11 weeks and a few days should I stop.. I don't know it says on the box to contiune up thru breast feeding...

I get a little worried because of years ago they'd give tablets for morning sickness and the babies were born with deformities...

Currently the advice is to take it... you can only do your best with the information that is current...

I nearly cried the other day because I had a mouthful of milkshake out of Mc Donalds and it wasn't pasterised which your advised against... I haven't had a single thing else that I'm 'not ment to' ...

speak to your midwife if your worried luvvy! xx
  • I think you can still take them even after baby is born especially if you breast feed. I have taken them although I seem to forget more often than not these days I am now 35 weeks today.
  • hi mikayla im taking these, you can take them before during and after pregnancy. if your still taking your folic acid from the docs, check 1st that the two combined wont be 2 much f.acid. the vitamins will top up any vital ones you miss in your diet
    xxx
  • it-must-be-love - I am suprprised McD's milkshakes are not made with pastuerised milk - most milk is pastuerised these days - how did you find that out?
  • HI Mikayla,
    I have been taking the sanatogen vitamins since 3 months before i got pregnant and still taking them. I dont think they do any harm at all. If anything I feel loads better being on them and havent come down with any nasty flu bugs or been ill (touch wood). I'm also taking Equatin mum-o-mega fish oil pills, they are good development for the babies brain and stuff. They are fine to take throughout pregnancy. I'm totally off fish at the mo (24+3 wks now) and think this is the only way i'll be getting any of those good omega 3 and 6. My sister swears her baby is such a good child because she took fish oil througout her pregnancy. I honestly dont think its the same as when women were taking pills for morning sickness. Everytime I speak to a therapist or doctor they always say its great to take these two suppliments.
    Hope that helps
    JO
  • really!? mc d's milkshakes?? agh!
    (although i never order them - i always pinch my oh!)
  • Redpod hey ya love! I believe that any matchine ice cream or milk shake such as you get in an ice cream van (the ones they use in Mc D's) is unpasterised... apprenlty it's just the way that lovely soft creamy ice cream is made in those matchines!

If someone could prove me wrong i'd love it cause not only would I not feel guilty for the mouthful I had (lol i'm sort of over it now tho) I'd love to be able to have them! I've got a real 'thing' for dairy products at the mo! xxx
  • I looked on the McD's website where they have ingredient lists but it doesn't if it's pastuerised or not. I hardly ever go in a McD's but I can imagine a thick shake would be nice and refreshing in the summer when I'll be ready to pop!

Don't beat yourself up about having some though - I had some goats cheese a few weeks ago and I don't know whether or not that was pasteurised - I felt really bad about it for a while but now I've put it into perspective - after all the French carry on scoffing all sorts of strange and pongy cheeses during pregnancy!

BTW Re supplements - I'm carrying on with my pregnacare tabs and will do so until at least until birth and possibly beyond when breastfeeding.

14+5
  • Carry on with them, they're only like the vitamin supplements you take when you're not pregnant except they don't contain vitamin A (which can be harmful). If you have a good diet, you don't have to but it's a bit of extra reassurance. They do have folic acid in them but that isn't harmful at all in later pregnancy and is in fact beneficial!

It_must_be_love - don't beat yourself up. Just remember no one in the old days lol was advised not to do these things! I eat runny boiled eggs still although try to limit myself. I find it weird how they tell you not to eat runny eggs in case of salmonella or listeria...but they don't tell you not to eat takeaways...that's how my stepsister got salmonella - from a chicken kebab! :lol: Not funny at the time espesh not for her, but she is fine now. I think most people who get these things had something dodgy on holiday or a dodgy takeaway or meal out. x