Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sterillisers

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between cold water, steam, microwave and electric sterillisers?
I've got no idea what type to go for or which are the best type!
I am gonna give bf ago but also want to be prepared if end up bottle feeding or expressing.
Cheers.
:\?

Replies

• WITH THE COLD WATER ONES YOU NEED TO ADD STERERLISING TABS AND TAKES 20 TO 30 MINS TO CLEAN WITH THE ELETRICK ONES NO TABS NEEDED AND ITS QUICKER TO CLEAN BUT COLD WATER ONES LAST LONGER AS ELETRICK ONES GOT MORE CHANCE BREAKING. THATS WHAT I BEEN TOLD HUN. X
  • The electric ones are handy as they are alot quicker and you can fit more bottles in. I use the 'milton' method or cold water sterilising when my electric one has broken or when on holiday abroad or for trips away in this country as it's easier to transport. I think they are both useful and if you get an electric one it's a good idea to keep some milton tablets in the cupboard just in case as I've blown up two sterilisers in 10 months!!! Not sure about the microwave ones as I've never used one. I have used the 'lindam' microwave steriliser travel bags and they have also been very useful on holidays. I should think they work in much the same was as an elecric one where the steam kills all the harmful bacteria. x x x
  • I am getting a cold water steriliser as it's cheaper and also keeps the bottles clean longer (24 hours - whereas most steam sterilisers it's only 6 hours I believe). x