Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 07

mother and baby groups

anyone been to one yet? im bit nervous but want to go..amstill a bit apprehensive about bf in public xx

Replies

• I don't plan on going till Cole is old enough to interact with other kids.. I'm not fussed about making new friends so i'll wait.

I'm bothered about bf in public too.. I just bought some bf tops and have muslim cloths in the change bag and i know which shops have baby rooms in town! I have bf at home when friends are round which isn't so bad cuse they don't look. Think i might end up having to on sunday if we go to the pottery shop for the afternoon but it is a bf cafe so not so bad.. just might have to go upstairs cause downstairs is all windows!! Better make sure my new tops are dry!!
  • Hi... haven't been to any yet but I met some great people at the post-natal group after I had my 16 year old and we still meet up most weeks for coffee - I'm the only mad one that has had more babies though!! Think it has to be the longest running post natal group around!

There is a breast feeding support group that I might go to as its the only mum & baby group that allow toddlers along too....I don't have a prob breast feeding in public though as long as I can find a quiet corner facing away from other people!
  • I'm going to a bf support group next week but feel a bit weird as one of the leaders is someone i was at college with, fortunately it's 10-11.30 and philip has feed at 9am so shouldn't need to feed him there till i'm a bit more comfortable. I bf in front of the children, son totally not interested and doesn't bother looking, daughter is a bit more nosy, but she had the "talk" at school not so long ago so is inquisitive! Had to bf in the car on sunday in the middle of the car park at the NEC!! Thank god i had muslins and a fleece blanket in the car to protect modesty! Time visits to town to coincide with feeding so so far i've not had to find somewhere in town to go, don't actually think there is anywhere!

I'm going to take Philip to the baby massage class at the local Surestart centre when he is 6wks, they also do mother and baby swimming sessions, lucky that it's based at the local school that has their own pool.
  • I'm going to a bf support group next week but feel a bit weird as one of the leaders is someone i was at college with, fortunately it's 10-11.30 and philip has feed at 9am so shouldn't need to feed him there till i'm a bit more comfortable. I bf in front of the children, son totally not interested and doesn't bother looking, daughter is a bit more nosy, but she had the "talk" at school not so long ago so is inquisitive! Had to bf in the car on sunday in the middle of the car park at the NEC!! Thank god i had muslins and a fleece blanket in the car to protect modesty! Time visits to town to coincide with feeding so so far i've not had to find somewhere in town to go, don't actually think there is anywhere!

I'm going to take Philip to the baby massage class at the local Surestart centre when he is 6wks, they also do mother and baby swimming sessions, lucky that it's based at the local school that has their own pool.
  • I've got a baby massage group that starts in 2 weeks and post-natal group the same week. Am quite looking forward to it as it will be nice to know some other mums with baby's.

As for bf - always fed the other 2 and had to feed Violet in a meeting on Tuesday, though I am more discreet these days!!!
  • Hi Hollylizzy - i went to my first group yesterday afternoon and it was fine. It was a group especialy fro breastfeeding mums called the 'babycafe' and i quite enjoyed it. There were Health vistors and a m/w there too which was helpful as Lily has developed baby acne but i'd been discahrged and didnt know if it was worth making an app with the doc for it. I get really nervous about things like that but i really wanted to make some mummy friends so i'm gonna force myself to do stuff! i'm gonna do baby masage too - waiting for my app to come in post from Healh visitor.
    Ive only B/f once in town and it was in debenhams cafe - they are really baby friendly so it might be a good place for people to so it first time, but they also have stuff to warm up bottles etcfor evryone else.
  • I want to go to baby massage but it's on when 2 year old's not at nursery...he's not one for sitting still either! Will have to gatecrash the one I took him to in next town!
    I've also bf in a car park..on the only day it snowed! I'm not up for bf in public - she feeds for about 15-30 mins depending on time of day and I don't fancy sitting anywhere for that long! Also cos I'm a teacher, I always see kids wherever I go at wkend - I'd be more embarrassed than them! I'd feed at a mum's group tho.
    Went to lunch with friends and their 4mth old today and my friend fed lo at table with pashmena over him but then he only fed for 5 mins! I was prepared with expressed milk and bottle to make up but Gracie slept anyway. Suppose it's something you get used to..but I never have!
  • Holly, my eldest (now 13) was so tiny that I used to stick her up my jumper to feed her...I used to be able to hoover and breastfeed at the same time!!!! But now my boobs are so stupidly huge (34 H) that I have to use both hands - 1 to support boob and one to support Violet - which makes feeding a bit of a nightmare...plus trying to put boobs back into my bra is a bit of a two handed job as well...have to admit that whilst I have always loved breastfeeding previously this time it is such hard work and Violet doesn't seem that bothered whether it is boob or bottle and I may switch totally to bottle at 12 weeks!
  • lol Cally - I have the same problem - I'm busting out of my G cup - think its because Bryn feeds so much - hes been a nightmare the past couple of days wanting feeds every hour.....
    alioli - also have the same prob as you as I'm a teacher - though I've been out of action for some time (was just going to go back to it when I found I was pregnant again) - kids still seem to recognise me (unfortunately at times!)

Its funny I've never had a prob with bf in public before but I'm far more nervous about these days - thinks its because my boobs are so huge this time and as callyb said its a 2 handed job!
  • I went to a breast feeding support group round the corner today. Everything went okay so it's given me some confidence to get out and about. I'm hoping to go to mum and babies group tomorrow which will mean my first time driving Ella somewhere (hubbie has done all driving so far). Feeling a little nervous about it so wish me luck!!
  • Good luck. My hubby has finally had his pat leave this week so ive been getting him to instruct me on all the machinery! Otherwise i would never leave the house on my own. I'm sure we'll all be pros by the end of January!
  • Hi all I have been to a bf support group last week which was good, but they gave me conflicying advice. Liked meeting other mums and met up with a mum I had seen at antenatal classes which was nice. I have also started baby massage which I highly recommend. I'm finding it hard to feed in public have taken out expressed so that I don't have to if not in a bf friendly cafe.would like to have confidence to feed in public, it's not that i'm worried what other people think it's more I get embarrassed as have to hitch up tops etc and Hannah's a messy feeder and often end up soaked!
  • I went to my first bf support group today - there even a mum with a baby born on the same day as Bryn - the only thing in her lo is tiny in comparison to Bryn! I might go again next week but its difficult as they all know each other really well... At least they don't look twice when you start to feed!
  • You'll prob fit in soon Emma and enjoy going. Do you take your 2 year old?
    A local soft play area has baby signing class I may go to soon - not sure how old they can be...
    My hv makes her 1st visit next week...when Gracie's 6 1/2wk old! Gonna ask her for any groups for baby and toddler.
    Turtle, Gracie's messy too! She can burp and sick whilst still attached which means I get wet...it's so delightful!
  • HV mentioned mother and baby groups again..I think she thinks I should go - think she thinks I need support from other people in my situation or something!

I bf in public for the first time today - it was a bf friendly cafe we go in a lot and I just hid cole under a muslim cloth - if I'm going out I try and make sure I'm wearing a bf top to make it easier - was fine, but then Cole isn't a messy eater. I woul dhave given him the bottle I'd taken out but I had to feed him or I'd have ended up with damp patches on my top! It wasn't that bad to be honest - maybe its cause the cafe was empty apart from my mates - but I was sat byt he big window.