Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

What is SPD?

I notice a few of you on here are suffering from this and I was wondering what it is?

I noticed yesterday that I am getting an achy, dull pain around my hips and lower back and wondered if this was similar. It did get worse the more I moved around.

I know a lot of you are in immense pain and I cannot say it is that painful but it is very uncomfortable.

Thanks for any advice.

Love Lee xxxxx

Replies

• Hi,

SPD stands for Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction and this website explains exactly what it is...

http://www.eparenting.co.uk/pandb/spd.shtml

I first realised I had it when my hips started to hurt, mainly during the night lying in bed but they weren't too bad during the day. I mentioned it to my midwife and she said it was SPD and I was referred to a physio. They gave me a support belt to begin with which really helped with the back pain but as I got further into my pregancy it got a lot worse and I am now on crutches.

I think how bad it is can vary from person to person but I would mention the pains you are having to your midwife and hopefully they will be able to decide if it is SPD or not and they treat you accordingly.
  • it has a range of pain you can have the mild pain up to the severe pain lol i think i'm at the severe end as the morphine sulphate i'm taking doesn't really help much eases some of the pain but still suffering excruciating pain when i walk image there's takls of possibly being on crutches from physio and talks from doc saying might have to put me on anti inflams image wouldn't mind but i'm only 17+4 and still have 5mnths to go where it can only get worse image
  • Thanks for that!

The only way to describe what I feel at the moment is like I havent exercised for months and am recovering from an hour or more of doing the splits!!!!

Am not going to panic but wondered if anyone else has had this or if this could be a mild case of SPD!

Thanks, Lee
  • Thanks for that!

The only way to describe what I feel at the moment is like I havent exercised for months and am recovering from an hour or more of doing the splits!!!!

Am not going to panic but wondered if anyone else has had this or if this could be a mild case of SPD!

Thanks, Lee
  • hi my SPD started at 15 weeks, with sore hips and lower back, thought it was just my bad back playing up. I am now sore for the majority of the time and signed off work. Physio gave me crutches yesterday which I think will help if I go out (not that I do very much just now). A visit to the local shopping centre with my husband was so painful and sooo slow! Didn't get very far before I came home.
    I am now taking paracetemol and codeine but although it takes the edge off a wee bit, never takes it away. Lying in bed during the night is the worse because I lie in one position and get uncomfortable and trying to turn over is like a marathon! Getting up to the loo - well, sometimes I wonder if I'll be able to walk.
    I do get some relief sitting on a firm sofa, with a duvet under me, hot water bottle at my back with my feet up on a bean bag. Then I think I feel ok, go to do something simple, and back to square one! It is very frustrating - I'm glad I don't have toddlers and really feel for those who have them whilst coping with spd. Mine are teenagers so can help (all but begrudgingly at times).
    I'm only 24+1 so a long way to go - here's hoping it gets a bit better. The physio said she has seen some women be really bad in 2nd trimester and get better for 3rd - I'm really hoping thats me!
    Very frustrated cause there is loads to do to get the house ready for the baby and I can't just get on with it like I would normally do! My OH is overworked and stressed and being brilliant at looking after me, when he is here....

So lots of empathy to everyone else suffering from SPD too!!

love Jac
    xx

ps - I may moan, but wouldn't swap where I am for the world - baby is most important thing and it seems to be fine - kicking away like mad!! xx
  • hi does spd also come with a pain in lower stomach (like just right above pubic bone) and lower back, i wouldnt say my hips are sore much, but sharp pain when i stand up just above pubic bone and even if i move suddenly, sometimes forget to move slowly and esp getting out of bed for pee (half asleep), maybe its something completely different but i have wondered if it might be spd.

going to see midwife on friday anyway should hopefully get some help then.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;19;29/st/20080523/dt/5/k/1ec5/preg.png