Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

advice

can you tell me how you knew you was in early labor as im worried i may be x x

Replies

• My waters broke so I knew I was probably in labour. I rang the hospital as this was my first and I wasn't sure and they told me to come straight in as I was prone to infection and they would keep me in overnight. I had no pains at that time. The pains didn't arrive for about 4 hours later and Kara was born about 5 hours after that. I was only in the delivery suite 2 hours and the actual labour was about an hour or an hour and a half. She was 5 1/2 weeks early and weighed 3lb 12oz. She was in hospital for 2 weeks and has since come on amazing so there is nothing to worry about. She is now 18 weeks and last week when she was weighed she was 11lb 1oz.

What signs are you having? How early are you?
  • I woke up really early one morning (not like me at all) and went to the loo and was bleeding a little. About 3 hours later I had a shower and while getting dried I sneezed and a blob of mucus came flying out and landed on the floor. Phoned the hosp who told me to go to my GP for a check up. GP sent me to the hosp and was put on the monitors for a while. The midwife asked me "are you feeling them?". I thought I was just having Braxton Hicks but turns out it was contractions. Had no pain but they said I would have to be admitted. I went for a coffee and was sitting in the canteen when I had my first painful contraction so swiftly went back to the labour ward. The contractions were getting more frequent and painful and I was told I was 3cm dilated and that the baby would be born by the next morning. By the morning everything stopped but was told that the baby would definately come soon. We visited the Neonatal Unit as Kenny would be rushed there after birth and it was good to have a look around and meet the staff. I was surprised how many babies were in there.

The next afternoon the contractions started again and coming all the time. The midwife called the doc at 6pm and I was 9cm dilated and only had Paracetamol! Too late for anything stronger by that point and had to do with gas and air. At 7.10pm Kenny was born and I had to have an episiotomy and forceps. I got a good cuddle before they whisked him away. Im thankful that my labour lasted 3 days on and off because I got 2 steroid injections to mature his lungs and he didnt need any oxygen when he was born.

Kenny is 8 weeks now and doing well.

Good luck Bev, I hope your baby decides its nice and warm in your belly and stays in until fully cooked.
    xx
  • hi ladies thanks for the advice was in hospital sat til today as they thought early labour but all ok now still getting contractions but regular am 35/3 x x x