Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

second hand?

hi all, iv heard you are not supposed to buy second hand mattresses for cots, is this the same for second hand pushchairs?? thanks

Replies

• not so much for pushchairs, but car seats.
  • I was told second hand pushchairs are fine especially considering some of them on ebay and places like that are practically brand new! U need to be careful with carseats and ensure that they haven't been in a crash or damaged or nethin
    xxxx
  • Pushchairs as far as we are advised are fine second hand but you should NEVER use a second hand car seat regardless of what you think you know about it. Second hand matteresses are also a big no!
    Think about it, I know some of these things are alot of money, but do you really want to put your child in danger for the sake of a few pounds?
  • of course not!! just wondering coz a friend has one she said could buy form her,

but we will be be buying new everything eles
  • Miss Natasha is right - its a big no no to second hand matresses (because increased risk of cot death) and car seats (in case they've been damaged) and dummys and teats (because the rubbers can perish) - but pushchairs are fine as is anything else - don't feel obliged to get everything new for baby - some things are used for such a short time that you can buy really good quality second hand baby things.

There's no shame in second hand. I have plenty of friends and relatives who could happily afford to buy everything new but don't because they realise there's no harm in second hand for most things.

Personally I would be happy to use a second hand car seat given to me by an immediate relative if i were 100% sure of its history e.g. if my sister gave me hers however I would never trust a second hand one from a stranger or even a work collleague or acquaintence because you just cant be certain.