Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

MAT B 1 certificate

Hi Everyone,
As I will be 34 weeks pregnant this week, I'm trying to get hold of my MAT B 1 certificate, so I can apply for my Maternity Allowance (I know I've left it a bit late...) I asked my midwife at my last appointment; she fobbed me off, saying I would get it from the jobcentre. I phoned my doctor's surgery this morning and the receptionist was very helpful, telling me my midwife should have sorted it out.
What have your experiences been?

Nessy

Replies

• Hi Nessy,

My midwife gave me mine. Has your midwife sorted yours out yet?

Denise xx
  • Oh goodness me. Your midwife does not sound very helpfull. I find that generally no one has been very helpful. But the receptionists told me when I would be able to get one. And at my 22 weeks scan the MW gave me a signed Certificate. It is quite late.

So what are they doing now? Will the docs sort it?
  • I had to ask for mine at 26 weeks when I realised I hadnt had it. MW told me she doesnt give it automatically she waits to be asked!!
  • Thanks everyone,
    I'm glad I'm not alone in having a rather unhelpful midwife (although it's not much of a consolation for any of us,really!) Rachel 1677, it's funny your midwife waits to be asked; almost like expecting an invitation to tea or something!
    Hopefully I will be able to get it sorted out at my next appointment, or I will set my husband and doctor on her...
  • at what stage can you get this form is it 20 weeks plus ... not quite there but want to be on the ball so i am prepared for it in time i'm 15 weeks and 2 days now! thanks lovely girls! I have found baby expert and the girls on it so helpful and caring! a god send actually! x
  • Am pretty sure my midwife told me she will sort this out with me when I am about 25 wks pregnant so I can sort out my maternity allowance because you can put in your claim for that 15 wks before your due date.

It isnt a form it_must_be_love, basically it is just a certificate signed by your midwife/doctor proving your due date so you can get maternity pay from whichever source you are getting it. I think it might need to be shown for the SureStart Maternity Grant as well.

Hope this helps,
    Love Lee
    xxxxxx
  • Am pretty sure my midwife told me she will sort this out with me when I am about 25 wks pregnant so I can sort out my maternity allowance because you can put in your claim for that 15 wks before your due date.

It isnt a form it_must_be_love, basically it is just a certificate signed by your midwife/doctor proving your due date so you can get maternity pay from whichever source you are getting it. I think it might need to be shown for the SureStart Maternity Grant as well.

Hope this helps,
    Love Lee
    xxxxxx
  • I was told by my MW that this form was given by the doctor & although I was always under the impression you got it from 20 weeks onwards it's actually 26 weeks.
    Probably best to speak to your own individual MW & Doctor to see what they say.
    Good luck,
    Lauren (31+5) xxx
  • Hi Nessy - I'm 31 weeks now and haven't got mine, it didn't even occur to me til work rang me (I'm off sick) saying that if I don't get it to them in the next week or so they won't be paying me maternity leave - gulp. I'm seeing the midwife on Weds so I'm hoping they'll just be able to give it to me there and then, think they should issue it to you without having to be asked though as everyone needs one and when it's your first time or you just have pregnancy brain 'itis' you don't always think about it, xxx
  • Hi there,
    I got mine at the 24 week appt with my midwife and it was just an A5 piece of paper signed by the midwife saying i was pregnant and confirming my due date. She filled it out there and then so picking it up at your next appt shouldn't be a prob!!
  • I thought that was a card that you carried so you got ya prescriptions free lol
  • it must be love.....speak to your mw at your next appointment and ask her about it. I was chatting to my midwife about my job and she mentioned the mat B form and signed it there and then. she suggested to get it photocopied as people often misplace it and they should only write it out once. So if you lose it they dont have to re-write you another one! Just a word of warning!

I have just read that you can get your mat b1 form from 20 weeks onwards from either your GP or midwife. I personally thought you had to give it to your employer by the time you reached 25 wks. But by peoples experience it seems that it can be left a bit later.

xxx

I believe midwives wait for you to ask, as not all women are working and its our responsibility to ask for it. My midwife mentioned it to me at my first appointment so i was aware of it.

Sorry Elsbeth, is not the same thing!

• I actually forgot about mine n my mw reminded me!! opnly to find i got into work on saturday & found out the manager i need to see wasn't in! having to do down tomorrow to sort it all out!
  • can I get it from 20 weeks then? I am worried about this as I happen to be doing a temp contract that will end in 8 weeks so wanted to see where I stood...
  • thats ok, I don't have to worry about this as I am not working whilst pregnant anyway.
  • I have just googled it and found a gov website, which states that Mat B1 cannot be given more than 20weeks before the due date. In answer to your question, yes you can get the from at 20 weeks. I am guessing, that this is because your 2nd scan will confirm your due date. The due date is what is important to your employer. Does that make sense? xxx
  • Hi, I got one from the jobcentre as I didnt know that the midwife gave you one. You can just call in at the jobcentre and pick one up. You need to get your hands on one quick as they are been very slow at processing them.
  • I'm having to give my form to my employer. So do I need to keep copies for the Grant? Or does my employer give it back to me? My Mw sais So your employed. You will need a MAT B1 certificate. And that was that. But my employer was asking for it anyway before I asked the MW.
  • Hi Everyone,
    My midwife gave me my MAT B1 certificate this morning, so I can now arrange my maternity allowance (I don't qualify for statutory maternity pay as I finished work last summer).
    Hope all your pregnancies are progressing well,

Nessy
  • hey my employer stated that they require it at least 15 weeks before ewc. which with my mw and appointments gave me a week to get that fill out the risk acess at work and book my leave but they should have them there and she just fills them in.

id check with your employer (if you work ) as it seems a bit late to me to claim any money off them, my company gives quite a good package prob why they required it early but make sure she dont miss out on anything x x