Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Paternity leave help?

I spoke to my other half and he has informed work that I am pregnant and that he would like Paternity leave for when I got into labour and would like some flexi holiday leave to follow on... he had the Idea this would give him a month to be at home with me and the baby - which is lovely and what I wanted!

He said in passing to his manager Oh two weeks for paternity and two weeks holiday, he manager said that as he does shift work four days on and four days off he will only be intitled to 5 days and depending on which day I go into labour he may not get the two full weeks... He was fed up with this but was like 'i dont know how to check what i'm intitled too Kevin (a work mate) is on paternity leave this week and has only had one shift off! maybe its right!'

I said not to take everything at face value and that its worth looking into as we were both quite disapointed as he does shift work he does long days and we really wanted proper bonding time as a family...

I said not to fear my lovely girlies on baby expert are here! Let me as them surely one will know a little more that the pair of us lol!

So here I am wondering if anyone can help with a little bit of proper information?

Mwah! xx :lol::lol::lol:

Replies

• P.S his staff hand book says he is intitled to a maximum of two weeks paternity! x
  • My oh does 4 x 12 hour shifts then 5 days off and was told that he gets 2 wks, 1 on full pay and 1 on statutory paternity pay. Maybe it depends on what the employer thinks they can get away with.

Have just copied this from the directgov website for you:-

How much paternity leave can you take?
    You can take either one or two weeks. You can't take odd days off, and if you take two weeks they must be taken together.

You can choose to start the leave:

on the day the baby's born
    a number of days or weeks after the baby's born
    from a specific date after the first day of the week in which the baby's expected to be born
    Your leave can start on any day of the week (but not before the baby is born), but has to finish within 56 days of the baby being born or, if the baby's born before the week it was due, within 56 days of the first day of that week.

If your partner has a multiple birth, you're only allowed one period of paternity leave.Company schemes
    Some employers have their own paternity leave arrangements - check your contract of employment. You can always choose the statutory arrangement if this suits you better.

Rights to Paternity Leave are extra to your normal holiday allowance.

Hope this helps,
    Love Lee xxxxx
  • I don't know why his manager would say 5 days, seems to be a bit of a random number but think it probably is him trying to get away with giving him the minimum time! Maybe check with CAB? x
  • Sorry Lee does that mean that he can have two weeks even if it means her has to take it via statutory means? The money is not an issue although of course it would be nice but this is our first and were changing from being just a couple to being a family and we feel the time is far more important!?? xx

Our local CAB in not even in our bourough and it never seems to be open is there a main line number? x
  • Sorry Lee does that mean that he can have two weeks even if it means her has to take it via statutory means? The money is not an issue although of course it would be nice but this is our first and were changing from being just a couple to being a family and we feel the time is far more important!?? xx

Our local CAB in not even in our bourough and it never seems to be open is there a main line number? x
  • I think from reading the stuff on directgov website that 2 weeks is the new law - if you want it! (dont quote me though - pregnancy brain lol).
    Reading the directgov stuff again - they cant stop him having 2 weeks and they have to be taken together. Might be an idea to have a look at all the jargon on directgov not just what I copied for you but that is the way I read it, like you I think the time together is more important than the money but some employers might not think like that and try to talk him out of the 2 wks for selfish reasons (esp if baby is due in a busy period!!!)

Might be an idea to look on CAB website - you might be able to find a central number rather than a local branch.

Hope have helped a bit!
    Love Lee xxxxx

• you a star will have a look and if i get stuck hope its okat to ask you for help? x
  • I am wondering can he take those '5 days' at normal pay and have the rest as statutory?

I think this is a case of them trying there arm at seeing what they can get away with in regards to just making it difficult for time off and seeing who will question it! x
  • Unfortunately what they get paid is entirely up to the company - but the minimum he is entitled is 2 weeks stat paternity pay (assuming he has worked for the company for long enough) - which is about ??112 a week maybe higher by the time you have the baby
  • He has worked for them for 5 years now I think or just nearly 5 any ways! He takes home quite a bit and were both dependant upon his wage fully really think he is a little worried about getting ??112 especially because I wont be working either!? augh!!
  • Hi
    My husband gets 2 weeks paternity but our baby is due just as his boss is on holiday for 2 weeks. When he's not in work or on holiday Rob has to be 'in charge' and his boss looked horrified when he realised the 'clash' of dates. Not sure what will happen then! But anyway, he can have the day off when I go into labour and then take 2 weeks from that. It is on full pay. He can also take his holidays with paternity too, but we said no, he can go back to work for a few weeks than have a few weeks off again. He doesn't have to let his boss know exactly what dates he needs and he found out the company will give us ??130 when baby is born! One of the perks considering they pay hubby pretty badly! It's worth getting all the paperwork from human resources and see what he is entitled too.
    Good luck!
    Louise.