Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

planned c-sections - cancellation?

This may be a stupid question, but was just wondering if you are booked for a c-section because baby is wrong way round, do they check the position again when you are admitted for the section. If baby has moved into right position, do they cancel c-section and send you home?

Think that would drive me crazy!

Thanks

Replies

• Hi Jasmine,

My baby was breech up until 37+5, so know a bit about what would have happened if she stayed that way. They would have booked me for the c-section, but they do scan you the day before, or the morning of the op, and yes, if baby has moved, they will cancel the op.

There is a woman on 'due in feb' that this happened to a few weeks ago. Her c-section was cancelled the day before as the scan showed baby had moved during the pre op assessment!

Is your baby breech at the mo?

It is such a frustrating time as you never know what to prepare for, and can't really be 100% either way until the day of the op.

Amy
    39+3 xxxx
  • Thanks for your reply.

How frustrating! I was hoping that once it was booked, that was it! Silly me.

Jasmine x
    35+1

Baby has been transverse/breech until now. I see the midwife at lunch time and if still the wrong way round I expect she will send me for a scan next week.
  • if its what you want they may do the section anyway. if lo turns you have a few more options though. i have a bit of a monster she already weighs over 10lbs and just to be extra awkward has decided that putting her feet down is far more comfortable

good luck whatever happens
  • i had a scan on my way to theatre to make sure baby was still transverse, luckily he was cause i couldnt have handled being sent home. also if your baby is still transverse at 37weeks they like to admit you into hospital to stay until your section cause there can be complications if your waters break while baby is still in transverse! goodluck.
  • Hi Flick,

Am a bit concerned as at my last two MW appointments (where my MW been off sick) I have been told baby is breech, whereas it was transverse the last time I saw my MW. However, I'm convinced that baby is transverse quite alot of the time as I get kicked at both sides at once. My MIL who is a health visitor also thinks baby transverse alot of the time. I dont go back to MW till 37+1 and not sure how quickly I will get a consultant appointent. Just worried that my notes say breech, but i dont think that is accurate 90% of the time!

I guess if transverse at next appointment they may just send me straight to hospital. Will definately say something though if he/she has adopted the breech position again specially for the appointment!

Sorry to ramble - not even sure I made any sense!
  • i would definately tell the MW at your 37+1 appt that you are sure baby is transverse and if she is happy you would like to go for a scan to confirm, once scan confirms transverse the consultant or registrar will advise you to stay in hosp. if you think the m/w is unsure in the slightest then just INSIST you go for scan or get another opinion by your GP. good luck and if you stay in hosp make sure you take some earplugs so you get good nights sleep!
  • i would definately tell the MW at your 37+1 appt that you are sure baby is transverse and if she is happy you would like to go for a scan to confirm, once scan confirms transverse the consultant or registrar will advise you to stay in hosp. if you think the m/w is unsure in the slightest then just INSIST you go for scan or get another opinion by your GP. good luck and if you stay in hosp make sure you take some earplugs so you get good nights sleep!
  • Thanks Flick - will definately tell MW at next appointment.