Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anyone else not get a 20wk scan in their area ?

I had my first scan yesterday and asked who would notify me about my 20wk scan. I had heard thta in Edinburgh they don't offer 20wk scans but I had also heard that this is changing in May.
Apparently not !! No 20wk scan for me. How am I supposed to find out about anomolies etc.
I don't want to know the gender I just don't think I can wait another 26weeks to find out everything is OK.

Anyone else not get a 20wk scan ? If so have you considered going private and paying for one yourself ?
Suz xx

Replies

• hi - I'm also from the Edin area! I didn't get one either - its quite unfair - you get one if Fife but not here!
    We decided to go for a private 4d scan at 28 weeks, which was great, it doesn't look at anomolies though. You can pay for a 20 wk scan but we decided against it.

One part of me thinks that even if there was something wrong, I wouldn't do anything about it anyway so I'm possibly better off not knowing - I would just worry all the way thru.

Would thoroughly recommend the 4d scan - it was fabby. We didn't want to find out the gender but we spotted that it was a boy when we watched the dvd at home - but now I'm delighted to know its a boy!!
    Jac
    xx
    34+2
  • hi - I'm also from the Edin area! I didn't get one either - its quite unfair - you get one if Fife but not here!
    We decided to go for a private 4d scan at 28 weeks, which was great, it doesn't look at anomolies though. You can pay for a 20 wk scan but we decided against it.

One part of me thinks that even if there was something wrong, I wouldn't do anything about it anyway so I'm possibly better off not knowing - I would just worry all the way thru.

Would thoroughly recommend the 4d scan - it was fabby. We didn't want to find out the gender but we spotted that it was a boy when we watched the dvd at home - but now I'm delighted to know its a boy!!
    Jac
    xx
    34+2

Jac
    xx
    34+2
  • Oh my god. Can't believe you get a 20wk scan in Fife but not in Edin. That's horrendous.
    My mum is actually a radiographer and sonographer and would have given me one on the sly but she would hate to find anything wrong. And if there was anything wrong then hospital would find out she had given me a a cheeky scan on the side.
    I'm going to look into having a private one done, where did you have yours done ?
    S x
  • I'm in Edin too and wrote to my MSP about this. I received a reply from chief director of NHS Lothian stating that they would be introducing 20 week scan from May 2008 but not going to have it fully implemented by Jan 2009!

We decided against paying for private scan (once I started feeling baby kicking all the time I stopped worrying as much!) but did look into it and there is a place in the west end, one near st andrew's square, one out by airport and also somewhere in livingston. If you do a search via google it should come up with websites etc.

Good Luck!
  • I'm in Edin too and after a previous post about this a few months back, I also wrote to my MP and to Nicola Sturgeon, the health minister. I got the same info as EMcG.
    We also decided against a private scan after much deliberation. It's a personal choice but we wouldn't have taken any action on the pregnancy regardless of any findings anyway, we don't want to know the sex (well oh doesn't and it takes two!) and as EMcG says, once you start to feel baby, the worries abate slightly. Baby has a very strong hb and is very active and I have convinced myself that if anything was wrong, neither of these cases would be true!! So please nobody tell me otherwise!
    Babes in the Womb, Baby bond and somewhere at Turnhouse all do private scans but just do an engine search.
  • hi - we have our scan at babyscan, which is just off st andrews sq, it was really handy and they were really nice there. Would recommend them - they ended up giving us way more time than we should have got, trying to get good pictures and because we didn't get full 10 min on dvd, they gave us a bit of a refund, which was better than nothing - we still have 6 mins dvd.
    Its really nice to know there are other mums from Edin and Scotland even, on this site..

Jac
    xx