Forum home General Chat Products & best buys

Anyone bought Mamas and Papas Skate

Hi, I'm just starting to do my pram/pushchair research and am totally bamboozled so far.
Anyway I've read only good things about teh new Mamas and Papas Skate and wondered if anyone had bought it yet and how much you paid.

We stay in quite a small flat and I love the idea of the pram collapsing into the pushchair. Then I don't need to have a carrycot taking up room in the flat as it will only be used for a few months.
Would be good to hear if anyone has any feedback. thanks Suz xx

Replies

• I have looked at this in the shop and it looked and felt really fab!! i was totally convinced i wanted it then went away and researched about mand ps car seat and could barely find one positive review infact the majoirty of the reviews by parents were very strongly advising against an m and p car seat.

for me having the car seat as part of the system is really importnant so that decided it for me - otherwise i totally loved it and would have gone for it!

am now considereing Britx vigour+4 or silver croos linear deluxe sleepover... or cosatto cabi... but am still a bit bamboozled!!

good luck!
  • the m and p's car seat is good. the only thing i didnt like about it is the weight its a very heavy seat. my lo was 9lb 10 so a heavy baby heavy car seat really wasnt nice... we had the Pilko Pramette from m and p's. really good buggy.. wont best pushchair 4 the past 3 years i believe. XX
  • ooo, on no!! if the car seat is good then i'm all confused again.... upsy_daisy did you have any problems with your lo's head not being supported?
  • not overly. my lo always held her own head though.. my sister has just had her baby she has the same car seat and she has had no problems with it. with the base it is easy to fit and get in and out without disturbing baby.. u can buy the little head support bit if ur worried about the head but i think you will be okay. i think they are much more sturdy than alot of car seats out there.. hope thats some help to you X
  • I think I'm going to have to go and look at one. And convince OH that it's worth the money.
    We don't have a car so the car seat is not top priority. although think the grandparents might want to invest for their days out and weight and ease of use would definantly be a factor for them! Suz x
  • I have the m&p car seat, I had to buy an extra head support as there was not enough support for a new born, if you look on the m&p website you can buy them from there, or similar in mothercare. My lo is 8 months now and is nearly out growing the car seat... given a choice I'm not sure I'd buy it again.
  • hi i bought this buggy in february after a lot of deliberation. In the shop i was totally taken by the way it looked and folded but after getting it home and using i am sure i have made the wrong desicion. It looks very easy to fold ! which it is in pushchair mode facing forward- but in pram mode its a very annoying process. You have to bring the handle height to lowest point put pram in lowest position then [place it in pushchair mode then push on grey slide to release lock then step on footplate my god when u have a crying baby can b very frustrating. My son is 6 months and in puschair mode if he kicks too hard the bottom comes dwn as puschair mode is held by velcro! and in true lie flat mode he seems to be at an angle.If we put it in pushchair mode highest position we have to put roaming brace in the tidy hole otherwise he looks like he will topple out . To top it all the handle has an angle adjuster which broke after 6 wks mamas and papas have had it for 2 weeks now still no sign of it being fixed wnt give a refund or exchange have to wait for it to be fixed !!! disgusting aftercare which has suprised me as i have always had m&p buggies with no probs but this one has been a nightmare !
  • oh forgot to mention the seat unit is very light weight the chassis is not !!! if u have had a cesarean i doubt you would be able to lift it with ease.On a gd note child looks comfy in it looks stylish had lots of comments and hood size good.
  • Thanks. it's good to hear from someone that actually has one, even if it's not the best review. I'm still doing my research but the Skate was still on the list. S x
  • Hi Suz,

I totally agree with Upsy Daisy about the car seat, it is good. However, if you don't need to use it for everyday or lo's grandparents aren't likely to move it from car, you may be better investing in a Britax First Class Si as this is the next stage size wise but has a newborn insert and can be rear-facing in group 0 stage and then forward facing in group 1 stage. It will last longer too and if you're not using the car seat every day they are very expensive as my little girl grew out of hers by 10 months (and she was a fairly small baby).

As far as the Skate goes I can't comment, but I can tell you that the Pliko P3 is fab. It also folds umbrella folding so doesn't take up any room in house or car. It's also quite light weight to carry and has a carry handle.
    I will also pre-warn you that M&P customer service/aftercare is TERRIBLE :evil:

My Pliko is the older version and I have had no problems with it but I think alot of the newer pushchairs they seem to be making are having problem after problem.

Sorry if this has confused you even more but research and opinions are very helpful when making such a big decision. If I had my time over, I would definitely go for a Maclaren Techno XT, although they are not a pram, you can use a luxury footmuff to give the lo more support. The are great looking, lightweight and very very easy to use.

Love Hels and bluebump X

• hi, just wanted to say i went to an independant pram shop and looked at loads and loads and compared them in folding them up, moving them around etc and for me the Skate did feel too heavy and difficult to fold especially with the pram bit in...

much to my suprise the bugaboo was my favourite!

but anyway the process of going and comparing them all togehter at the same time was really helpful and i'd recommend it!

good luck. x
  • I bought this pram in january and when i tried it in the shop i thought it was fantastic but i have since realised it is one of the worst prams you could buy and a big waist of money. I WOULD NOT RECOMEND THIS PRAM TO ANYONE. My baby was born in feb and it was fine for the first 5 months but by 6 months she has almost out grown it. It won't last past a year as her head is at the top and it is forcing her to sit funny because she can't sit up straight. She was 6lbs 13oz born so she is not a big baby and should be able to fit in a pram that is surposed to last until the age of 4yrs. We have told M&P about this and they have refused to do anything and have been very unhelpful. Infact the aftercare has been terrible. I have since met other people who have the same pram and they also have the same problem. So my advice is don't waiste your money.
  • I love my skate lol!

I have it in fudge and think its fabby!

My LO was a chunky baby - 9lb 1 oz born and is now at nearly 6 months 20lbs.

I find the pram comfy easy to move around lovely to push! I ended with a c sec and didn't personally have probs with the pram x

I love how flexible it is and that I can lie him down once he falls asleep - his fave way to ride now is sat up at the end of the pram when its in flat mode so he can see everything and have the pram filled with toys!

We even take him and his cousin out in it together so they can play! lol x

Dependant on when your due they are releasing a new skate, lighter weight with a wider and deeper carry cot x (JAnuary x)

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs262.snc1/8935_156765157679_685207679_3332351_3878295_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs242.snc1/8935_148631132679_685207679_3271565_1139776_n.jpg

• I originally put a deposit on thie pushchair but then after reading more and thiking about it changed my mind. I didn't like that fact it hadn't really got a basket area and also i never read the weight in the shop and given i don't know if i'd have a c-sec felt it would be far to heavy to lift by myself. Opted for the Pliko in the end, but M&P are being utter pain's in the ass even tho i've paid in full they don't have the product to deliver to us!
  • LilMRSaverage, you mentioned a new skate coming out in Jan, do you know if this will be in a new colour or any other details. Is it due beginning of jan 2010? many thanks
  • http://www.classychassis.co.uk/

Check out the link x

- Also re the basket area - there isn't a defined basket area just the stretchy mesh and clips ! I can put so much under this pram! I can do a weeks shop easily and stash it all under the pram - x

Lots of skate info:

http://global.skate-pegperego.com/?l=en&p=3

peg perego is mamas and papas name abroad x
  • thanks i have had a look on the websites, it has really helped
  • Hi, To be blunt, don't bother buyiing this buggy. I've had nothing but trouble with it, I've had it for less then a year, the pins that fix the car seat and pram to the chassis constantly get stuck, I've brought it into store 3 times, they eventually sent it away to be fixed, however, I am totally unconvinced that the pram is safe, it flips back,, the chassis doesnt click up without some force, the 5 point straps are not fixed therefore i cant sit the baby up fully for fear of him falling out. M & P's aftercare service is atrocious! They will not give a refund or exchange they will only repair it no matter what the issue is. I cannot compromise my babys safety so at the moment i am in dispute with M&P.However, saying that I've have had six of their buggies and prams, generally I think they do have the best products, unfortunately I picked the wrong one. My advice is to really do your homework, don't buy from the stores, buy from John Lewis or a shop that you know will assist you should you have problems.:\(

[Modified by: briot19 on February 15, 2010 10:19 AM]

• Hi, To be blunt, don't bother buyiing this buggy. I've had nothing but trouble with it, I've had it for less then a year, the pins that fix the car seat and pram to the chassis constantly get stuck, I've brought it into store 3 times, they eventually sent it away to be fixed, however, I am totally unconvinced that the pram is safe, it flips back,, the chassis doesnt click up without some force, the 5 point straps are not fixed therefore i cant sit the baby up fully for fear of him falling out. M & P's aftercare service is atrocious! They will not give a refund or exchange they will only repair it no matter what the issue is. I cannot compromise my babys safety so at the moment i am in dispute with M&P.However, saying that I've have had six of their buggies and prams, generally I think they do have the best products, unfortunately I picked the wrong one. My advice is to really do your homework, don't buy from the stores, buy from John Lewis or a shop that you know will assist you should you have problems.:\(

[Modified by: briot19 on February 15, 2010 10:19 AM]

Briot19, did you manage to solve the problem with mamas and papas, as I am experiencing the same problems
  • Dont waste your money on one. You will regret it like me and probably thousands of others.
    Nuff said