Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Slapped Cheek Syndrome Help!

I popped over to see my friend/neighbour yesterday and she casually dropped into conversation that her 9 year old duaghter (who was sat next to me on the sofa, touching my bump) had just had slapped cheek syndrome.
I thought nothing of it but have just bought this months issue of pregnancy and birth magazine and there is a bit in there about the virus and that it can cause abnormalities in unborn babies.
Please help, i am now worried sick.
I was in there for about half an hour.
What are the risks - I have googled it but its not very clear.
Anybody else experienced this?

Help. Panicking...

Rachel. 26+5.

Replies

• As far as I know, most people have the virus when their young so are there for immune to it and it can be harmful in unborn babies up to 20 weeks, in which case your past that stage so you dont need to worry. I rang my dr when i was 17 week's and I thought my 4 year old had caught it and the dr said its very very rare for it to harm unborn babies and also its droplet spread meaning if she sneezed on you or coughed or you shared a drink. I really dont think you need to worry (but I know thats easier said than done because I went beserk when I thought my daughter had it!) but give the dr a ring first thing just to be reassured.
    xxx
  • hi if your not sure ring dr and they will advise you. i had to take few wks of work because of this, i work in a primary school and a child had it, at the time i was 15wks preg and dr sent me for blood tests to see if i was immune. i think after 20wks you are ok, but would check anyway.

becsxx
  • I just found this for you:

The incubation period of slapped cheek syndrome is between 4-20 days. Physical symptoms are not usually present during the contagious stages of the virus. People infected with slapped cheek syndrome can pass it on without knowing during the early part of the illness but, when the rash appears, you or your child are no longer contagious to others.

If you catch parvovirus B19 while you are pregnant, there is only a small chance that it will affect your baby. If you are infected in the first 20 weeks of pregnancy, there is a 15% increased risk of miscarriage. If you are infected in weeks 9-20, there is also a 3% risk that your baby will develop foetal hydrops. This is a serious condition that can cause congestive heart failure, a severe form of oedema (swelling of body tissues caused by excessive fluid) due to severe anaemia (lack of red blood cells in your blood affecting oxygen levels). In some cases, the baby recovers and has no lasting problems.

I don't think you have anything to worry about hun but ring your dr just to make sure xxx

http://bd.lilypie.com/sPnXp1/.png

• Thanks everybody.
    I rang the midwife thismorning and I am to go in for a blood test tomorrow to be on the safe side. She said she doesn't think i have anything to worry about though.
    She said last year she had a pregnant lady who was a nursery nurse and had been in contact with the virus but everything was fine for her.

I'll keep everyone posted.
    xx
  • Hey hun.
    I had a blood test for the very same reason on 26th March. I'm still waiting for the results. I work in a school so I can't go back to work till they come through.
    Tequila has been doing her homework though and she's right about the risks being higher if your less than 20 weeks. I think someone else also said that most adults have come into contact with the virus as a child so you should be fine. Don't hold you breath for the results to come back quickly though.

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev318pb___.png