Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How would you pronounce the name we like.....

Hiya girlies,

Was just wondering how you would all pronounce this name as we really like it but wanted a more unusual spelling! So this is a test to see if people will actually say her name right after reading it haha. If nobody does then we might have to go for the original spelling as it would be frustrating if no one got her name right!
Anyway, I will stop waffling now, the name we like is Leia.

please let me know how you would all say it,

Thankyou!

Faith 25+5 pink bump.xxxxx

Replies

• Options
    yeh thats what i would have said but i bet it isn't !! maybe lee?? not sure!!
    princess + millie 21 xxx
  • Options
    i think it is lea (like lee-ah) ?
  • Options
    Lee-ah
  • Options
    Again, I would have said Lee-ah can you google it?

http://bd.lilypie.com/MRzSp1/.png

• Options
    i also said lee-ah
  • Options
    Yay, you are right it is pronounced the same as Le-ah! I'm so glad I can spell it that way now, although we are still not 100% sure that it's the name we want. If we do go with Leia her full name will be Leia Jasmine Gamble I think! Zoey, thats what I thought when oh first suggested the spelling and thats why I needed to test it out on here lol.
    Thankyou everyone!xxx
  • Options
    Hi Faith just want to say I thought it would be leah too! Heres the girls name we have picked, how would you say it? Talia?
    Tammi xxx
  • Options
    Wow thats so weird as that was my favourite to start with haha. I was gonna say it Tar-lia, is that how you are going to?xxx
  • Options
    I'd say Lay-Ah
  • Options
    Oh is hers spelt exactly the same? I really don't want people to call her Laya as it looks like we are starwars obsessives or something!!!!xxx
  • Options
    Both lovely names - Talia is one that I wanted for a girl but with Tate as a surname, no can do!

I would pronounce Leia as Lee ah and Talia as Tarleeah.

I'm getting in on it now - how would you pronounce Maia?

Karenxx
    31+5
  • Options
    I'd say "my-ah" (m-eye-ah)
  • Options
    Thats easy lol is it My-ah? My niece is called that but she is half polish and it is spelt Maja.
  • Options
    I read Leia as Lee-ah as in Princess Leah on star wars. But then didnt some characters like Hans Solo pronounce is as Lay-ah?
  • Options
    Just asked hubby and he agress with both of mine i.e. lay-ah and my-ah
  • Options
    This also reminds me of a story my MIL told me about some weird mother of twins at the school where she works. They were twin boys called Shaun and Sean! But the mum apparently insisted that Sean was a completely different name to Shaun and was pronounced 'scene' or 'seen'. Muppet!
  • Options
    It's pronounced Myah - my dh is worried that people will pronounce it Mayah but the majority got it.

Ha ha re the Shaun/Sean twins! The worst one I saw was Shevawn (Siobhan was obviously too difficult to spell!)
  • Options
    lol that story about the twin made me giggle!!!
    We are going to say Talia as Tall ee aa. that was spooky Faith! xxx
    32 weeks
  • Options
    I would pronounce that is "Lay-ah".
  • Options
    i would have said lay-ah! and tal-ia