Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

how long til an epidural wears off ??

i ask because i never got one last time as i am terrified of lifts amd assumed i wouldnt be able to walk for a while after the birth if i had one, and i wanted to be able to walk up/down stairs to my ward after thebirth which i did.

anyway it has just dawned on me that maybe once its taken out you are no longer numb or the feeling comes back quite soon after?or is this not the case?

could anyone who has had one let me know, cause id obviously love the painfree (in theory) birth, but absolutely could not go in a lift and would rather suffer the pain !

thanks

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;19;29/st/20080523/dt/5/k/1ec5/preg.png

Replies

• hi hun i cant help u as i've never had 1 but think it does take a while before you have complete feeling back to walk about etc.I've gotta have a spinal next thursday n was gonna ask if anybody knows bout that so if any1 has any info itd b great,thanx hanna 35+3 xx
  • An epidural does take a while to wear off, but you could always have a low dose mobile epidural. Ask your MW. I'm scared now though...is the pain so bad you wouldn't do it again without one?? Aaarrrrgh lol.

I'm hoping not to have one but I will if I get desperate lol.

Hanna, a spinal is like a high dose epidural but more short term and only lasts a couple of hours. Its generally used for c-sections etc. xxx

http://bd.lilypie.com/Akv50/.png

• hi tigerlily, sorry if i scared you...no, i absolutely WOULD go thru it again without the epidural, and i prob will again...

to be honest id rather be able to feel whats going on and am a bit scared of feeling paralised, and ive heard you are more likely to tear etc.

i just kind of wondered about it. last time i did beg for one at the very last minute but they said it was too late cause i was ready to push and im so glad i managed to go thru a 11 hour labour without one.

i had nothing until i was about 7cm (cause i was 5cm by the time they examined me to check if i was actually in labour, long story!!), and the first mw (student) i had wouldnt let me have gas and air cause she said i wouldnt be able to push ??

anyway then a non-student mw came in and was shocked that i hadnt been given gas and i was so relieved when i got it.

i also had diamorphine, but that just made me feel a bit out of control and panicky, woudnt want that again (but prob will end up asking for anything!)

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;19;29/st/20080523/dt/5/k/1ec5/preg.png

• thanx tigerlilly thats good to know it only lasts couple of hrs,hopefully will b able come home rather than stay in over night nxt thurs.Still scared of the whole needle in back thing tho!! xx
  • hi, when i had my lo it took a good 3-4 hours before it fully wore off and the midwives would let me get up. it really depends on how much they give you, as it varies and when they last gave you it. by time it came to pushing mine had fully worn off but i was gave a top up when i had my stitches an hour later x
  • hi, when i had my lo it took a good 3-4 hours before it fully wore off and the midwives would let me get up. it really depends on how much they give you, as it varies and when they last gave you it. by time it came to pushing mine had fully worn off but i was gave a top up when i had my stitches an hour later x
  • Just thought i would let you know that I had a spinal with my first son born by elective section, it was fab, didn't feel a thing and it wore off within 6-8 hours. i was walking first thing the next morning and didn't have any problems afterwards.
    A low dose epidural will wear off relatively quckly and with some of them you can walk around whilst they are going.
    I would not contemplate labour without an epidural, i happen to work with anaesthetists (Drs who do epidurals and spinals) and without a doubt the ones who work on the labour ward are the absolute experts at putting them in, they do so many!
    good luck for next week
    Lainer
  • Hi Hanna

You should be able to go home same day, unless they keep you in to make sure you don't go into labour. When I had my suture in it was as a day case. I was out of bed about 2 hours after my spinal and home later on early evening.

Karenxx
    32+4
  • hi karen,o thats good to know i hate staying in hospital if u dnt have to,its so boring isnt it!i had to stay in over night when i had my suture in but that was prob just cuz i had a general.My mums having lo over night for us as im sure i'll b achey even if i can come home on the day.I'll post on here end of nxt week 2 let u know how i've got on and if baby is still in!!! xx