Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Tax Credits??? SMP??? Advice Please

Does anyone know if i can claim child tax crdites or working tax credits when i am recieving statutory maternity pay??

My contract at work is due to expire 31st June and i am unsure if it is going to be extended. HR at work have advised that even if my contract is terminated (which if it is i will be really p*****d off about cos they are already advertising new posts) then i will be entitled to SMP............. BUT......... at ??117 per week im gonna struggle to bring up a baby alone.

Im scared im gonna be forced back into work as soon as shes born and miss out on the most important bonding stage in her life image

xxxxxxxxxxx

Replies

• hi yes you can as you are still employed by the company ,hope this helps x
  • yes you can recieve tax credits they are just to top up your income so its best to ring tax credits to get it sorted even though they wont active the claim until the baby is born hope it helps
  • But what if they terminate my contract??

I know they still have to give me my SMP but i wont have a job to go back to. Therefore technically i wont be employed. Can i still claim tax credits then???

And how far in advance can i apply for it?? xxx
  • But what if they terminate my contract??

I know they still have to give me my SMP but i wont have a job to go back to. Therefore technically i wont be employed. Can i still claim tax credits then???

And how far in advance can i apply for it?? xxx
  • you will still get child tax and also try for income support and the grant of 500 you can apply for when you are 28 weeks which doesnt have to be paid back not sure when you can apply for the tax credit but the rest as soon as you know about your contract xx
  • As far as I know as long as they are still paying you SMP then you are still employed by them, they can only terminate your contract at the end of your maternity. You can't actually apply for tax credits in advance as I think you need to be claiming child benefit to be eligable, but you can certainly get all the forms filled out ready for as soon as lo arrives.
  • But the contract was pre-set to end on 31st june.

To be honest i think they are planning to not extend my contract and are already empolying other in my place.

I know legally they cant do it but they will find ways around it. A new guy just started and has been given a contract til sept. I thought this extension should have automatically been offered to me since ive been here a year??

Theyre mucking me about bigstyle and its stressing me out.

I wish they'd realise that im gonna be a young single mum and id like a bit of notice as to whether or not im gonna have a job to come back to xx
  • You can apply for the surestart grant and I reckon you'll get that without any hassles. As soon as baby is born, you are entitled to claim Child Benefit, and you'll get the extra as well, as a single parent. You are also entitled to claim child tax credit regardless - whether you are earning or claiming any sort of benefit, you are entitled to claim. It is also more in the 1st year as well.
  • what about working tax credits?

If i am recieving SMP from work but dont have a job to go back to can i claim this???
  • they also do child tax credits, if you dont qualify for working familys tax credit you can claim child tax credit. i started claiming as soon as i got family allowence. i was claiming SMP at the time and i wasnt employed because my contract ran out at work when i was on SMP. if you are a single parent you get more money and if you are on income support then you can still claim for them as you are still getting an income even if you claim it off the government. for the first year you get paid a baby allowence but as soon as the child hits 1yr then they drop your money!!!! hope you get sorted soon x x x
  • Do you know how much child tax credits would be if i was just getting SMP and child benefit???
  • If you put a search in for tax credits on the internet it will bring up several sites that have a calculator that gives you some idea of how much tax credits you may receive. They ask lots of questions and then calculate an amount at the end.. they should be useful for you as you can put in different scenarios depending on whether you're still employed or not. Word of advice, the official tax credits site isn't the best one to use as the inland revenue do not assess tax credits on-line anymore. use an independant one.. i found that they allowed for more circumstances anyway.

Hope that helps
    xxx