Forum home Babies Baby

Weaning worries...how do i do it!?

i'm weaning lo atm and he's just moved onto 3meals a day but i'm worried he's now eating too much, how do i know when to cut out bottles and give snacks in between meals? Also, when are you supposed to move onto stage 2? My lo's routine goes like this :

7.30 wake plus milk (7oz)
8.30 baby cereal
11 milk (7oz0
12 fruit/veg lunch
3.30 milk ( 8oz)
5.30 fruit/veg dinner
7.30 milk (9 oz)
11.30 dream feed (6oz)

Is it normal? whats everyone else's look like? i think he eats loads but always been a hungry baby but shouldnt he be cutting out some milk soon? he's 5 1/2 mths.

Replies

• Hiya, ur roupine looks good, by about 6 mths with weaning established they shld go down 2 about 600ml milk a day.. Ur milk tin may tell u, snacks and water cld be introduced at 11am and 3.30pm 2 gradually replace milk feeds! Good luck x
  • Hiya, ur roupine looks good, by about 6 mths with weaning established they shld go down 2 about 600ml milk a day.. Ur milk tin may tell u, snacks and water cld be introduced at 11am and 3.30pm 2 gradually replace milk feeds! Good luck x
  • we're pretty much the same as you so i'd not worry, i can hear my LO attacking my CD shelf so i can't write down our routine i have to dash! lol
  • I'm on the December 07 babies at the mo talking about the same thing - everyone has been writing what they do - all the babies same age as yours! your's looks like a good plan! I've just started a couple of weeks ago Fin is 23 weeks today! At the mo he has 5 bottles of 7oz and then fruity breakie 11.20/12ish then rusk with milk at 6! going to try some puree hopefully but worried ... god knows why- silly isn't it!
    how do you get your lo to stay asleep till 7.30???
    go on the other forum and you'll see it all xxx
  • Am I going a bit wrong - please be honest!
    I have been weaning Neve for a couple of weeks (she is 18wks tomorrow) and she has

7 - 7oz milk
    11 - 7oz milk + pureed fruit - as much as she will eat after or before her milk
    3 - 7oz milk + pureed veg - as much as she will eat after or before her milk
    6.30 - 7oz milk
    9.30 - 3oz dreamfeed

Should I be feeding her solids at separate times from the milk and should she be having water as well - she shows no interest in water.

[Modified by: Lottie78 on May 15, 2008 11:10 AM]

• hi lottie78, if i was you i would try giving milk and solids at different times, thats just so that she finishes up her milk which is more important to her at 18weeks than solids, and then maybe an hour or so after try with solids and if she is hungry she will take some. if you feed solids then offer milk straight after theres a chance she'll be full up and not drink as much milk as she should be! it shouldnt be too difficult to chop and change your routine a little bit! xx
  • Lottie-
    Jacks routine sounds similar to yours he has
    6am-7oz milk
    930am-5oz plus cowandgate brekkie
    1pm-5oz plus puree fruit
    430pm-5oz plus puree veg
    730pm-7-8oz

I was worried and spoke to hv on Tue who said this was fine. Jack is 21 weeks now. I always give bottle first. xx

[Modified by: hunibuni on May 15, 2008 11:56 AM]

• oh i forgot to add, it is good to offer water, helps stop constipation an keep them hydrated. my LO refuses to drink it though!
  • My LO is now 10 months but I can well-remember the confusion and frustration that goes with the early weaning days.
    After 6 months you can try offering solids before milk so they mainly get filled up by "food" and then top up with milk. Snacks are needed when your LO gets moving (crawling/bum shuffling/cruising around furniture) and needs more calories to fuel them. Until then 3 balanced meals and milk should be enough.
    Stage 2 foods are normally introduced at around 7 months cos they're quite lumpy.
    If you were overfeeding your LO he would throw-up the excess food. If he's keeping everything down and steadily gaining weight then you and he are fine.

Our routine (10 months old) is now:
    7am wake
    7.15 6oz milk
    8am porridge with whole milk
    11.15 lunch - sandwich and fruit with beaker
    12-2pm nap
    2pm snack & 4 oz milk
    4.30pm dinner - proper meal & pudding
    7pm bed & 8oz

Hope this helps some x
  • well i do feel a bit more confident i thought i was doing it all wrong as he hasnt dropped a bottle feed yet. i do offer water with each meal but he has to have it after as he loves his beaker! its only the tomee tipee classic cup thing but he's really good at using it now and wont eat if he has it first as all he wants to do is chew on the end of it. we did get lots of constipation at first (harry not me lol) as he wasnt drinking enough water but seems better now. He doesnt always sleep till 7.30, he most commonly wakes around 7 but oh gets up at that time and puts him in our bed for a cuddle till half 7 when i get up to give him his bottle x thanks all, will pop over to other forum and have a mooch, its reassuring to see how everyone else is doing x
  • Thanx pixie woo, def. helped, although think lo is on his way to stage 2 then as wont eat pureed now, only mashed so its thicker (which suits me fine as its not nearly as messy!) x